Author Topic: BREAK INS!  (Read 28258 times)

Offline corbindallas

BREAK INS!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 14:01:53 PM »
Are these breakins oppotunist through open windows/doors or forced entry? Has anyone been attacked by the burglars? Seems sad that a country with recorded low crime seems to have bigger issues than is thought, just looking through the posts on the forums clearly shows there is current issues with burglary and sex pests (Calis) in the area. perhaps it is a wider issue and the crime stats are not as efficient as the real picture. Not good if they are letting go the suspects before trial hope this is not the norm lax approach to such matters, I  hear increased police patrols made but it would be nice if they actually caught and jailed these people.:-\
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 14:53:59 PM by corbindallas »

Offline Firo

BREAK INS!
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 14:40:09 PM »
Ours and others on the same night were forced entry (through very easily opened patio doors as we now know).All the houses were occupied at the time, one of them having a phone and laptop taken from his bedside table as he slept next to it!
Our dog barked and we shouted at the dog to shut up and that must have scared them as they only grabbed stuff within feet of the door. We now listen to the dog if she barks...leason learnt.
They were builders that had been laid off after the May building stop deadline and were from Eastern Turkey. Speaking to the head of the Jandarma at the time it seems that the big times for break ins are May for the reason above and Oct/Nov as seasonal workers are laid off for the winter.
We fitted alarm, grills (make sure that the screw heads are welded so that they cannot be unscrewed), door & window bolts and got another dog.
It's a horrible feeling to have only 3 weeks after arriving in a new country to start a new life but we are now secure so less worried. I think that it is a major problem that the authorities need to address.
Be aware and take care with your security wherever you live.
Fi

Offline corbindallas

BREAK INS!
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 15:28:40 PM »
Thanks for update Fi.

Offline mikrik

BREAK INS!
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 12:02:57 PM »
A lot of houses which get burgled in Ovacik are as you say new arrivals or visitors. Unfortunately they are inclined to leave lights switched on all over the house and garden. It looks as if this acts as a beacon for thieves who can then easily spot fresh pickings. Hopefully best to try to keep a lower profile.
I've just bought a PIR sensor device with an alarm in Migros for about 30 Lira it's battery operated so it's easy to fit. It won't keep them out but hopefully it'll scare them off before they can steal anything whilst we are asleep.

Offline dinger

BREAK INS!
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 07:46:08 AM »
Having been a victim of the latest spate of burglaries - which I believe has now reached 17+ for the month of June alone - I am very disheartend that the Jandarma are no nearer to catching the thieves. Being wakend to find an intruder in your bedroom is a terrifying experience which I would not wish on anyone else.

The recent increase in crime rate in Uzumlu is damaging for the village and many locals are as keen to put a stop to this as we are.  One local businessman has offered to raise our issues and concerns with the Mayor.

Would anyone be interested in getting together for an informal chat to air views and give ideas on how best to take this forward?

Property owners who are non-resident can post their ideas on-line.

Glenda Dingwall

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
BREAK INS!
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 08:17:23 AM »
I am sorry to hear of your problem......I also experienced a similar situation in Turkey several years ago. As mentioned the use of motion sensor alarms is a very good idea and I now have four covering all movement areas and they are very inexpensive. They will not stop a break in but you sure as hell will know about it if you are there and the chances are the thief will be away PDQ.
It would be interesting to know how access was gained so you can prevent it happening again.
As for catching the thieves they don't usually hang about. A mobile I had stolen was fenced in Istanbul and was found being resold in Antalya but no prosecution was made as they never caught the actual thief.

Offline clairelynne

BREAK INS!
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »
We live in Uzumlu too. We are very aware of the breakins in the area. We will do antthing to help in anyway.
I have 3 dogs that roam the grounds 24/7. We are hoping that it is putting anyone off coming to close.
If we can be of any help please let me know.
clairelynne

Offline corbindallas

BREAK INS!
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »
Hi Glenda sent you a e mail re these break ins and listed my thoughts/needs for the informal get together, which I think is a great idea, please let me know via here if you have not received it. Andrew

Offline clairelynne

BREAK INS!
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 13:22:11 PM »
My husband saw a male on a motorbike with a red basball cap on, don't know what he was doing up here!!!! He hung bout near our villa for a coulpe of minutes, desturbed the dogs & then merraly went on his way!!!!!
By the time pete got to gate to find out What he wanted he'd gone. We are keeping a look out for him again & neighbour informed.
We need to do something about this. There are enough retired x police men in uzumlu to surly come u with something....
My husband is a retired police man, He is willing to do anything to help
ANYONE ELSE GAME!!!!!!!

Offline corbindallas

BREAK INS!
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 14:04:18 PM »
Hi Claire, I think that Glendas (Dinger) proposal is a start to try and deal with this situation, at least we can then get a real picture of events collated. I am back out there permanently in August, but have given my thoughts to Glenda for now, as a ex police officer myself, I also would like to think we can do something ourselves to help stop this continuing situation.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf