Author Topic: dangerous snakes  (Read 5241 times)

Offline mr efes

« on: June 29, 2009, 23:05:30 PM »
Being in turkey for a couple of years with only a few scorpion encounters i truly sh#t my pants tonight. Our dog became very agitated with something behind the mosquito net on the open front door,i then heard a hissing and couldn't believe my eyes, at first i thought it was a cobra, the snake coiled its body and arched its neck, as i said i sh#t my pants so rang me good old mate eddie from the cadianda who bravely came down and helped slave the beast. it turns out this snake called the levantine viper is the most dangerous snake in turkey, uzumlu BEWARE, eddie i owe u 1.

Offline jinky

dangerous snakes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 00:12:42 AM »
i bought the yellow powder today,just put it around the perimeter of your villa and that is suppose to keep them away,it cost 15tl for 5 kilos plus a box of cemicals to mix with it to keep away the scorpians,the shop is opp the yapi market in fethiye.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
dangerous snakes
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 04:29:56 AM »
Actually mate, the Levantine Viper isn't native to Turkey. It's mainly found in India and Pakistan.

If the snake was a viper it was more than likely an Ottoman Viper - Vipera xanthina, also known as the Rock Viper or Coastal Viper and not particularly rare in the region, but nonetheless, one of the most dangerous snakes in Turkey.

http://www.1000pictures.com/view.htm?canimals/snake+fnoy-2006-05-20-095920_1280.jpg+x1280+y1024
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 06:32:19 AM by KKOB »

Offline peecee

dangerous snakes
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:39:31 AM »
mr efes, it would help if you gave a description of the snake, colour etc

Offline saoirse

dangerous snakes
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 06:56:41 AM »
it would also help if you were to change your pants......indeed if you were to leave them outside now it may save you buying the yellow powder
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:53:31 AM by saoirse »

Offline kanga

dangerous snakes
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 08:05:24 AM »
Description
This is a large snake, with females reaching 214 cm in length and males growing to a similar size. However, sizes vary between different populations, with M. l. lebetina being somewhat smaller.[2]

The head is broad, triangular and distinct from the neck. The snout is rounded and blunt when viewed from above, which is why it is also called the blunt-nosed viper. The nasal and nasorostral scales are almost completely fused into a single plate, although some variation occurs.[2]

The dorsal scales are strongly keeled, except for those bordering the ventrals. M. l. lebetina usually has 146-163 ventral scales. The anal scale is single.[2]

The color pattern is less varied than one might expect from a species that is so widely distributed. The head is normally uniformly colored, although it can occasionally be marked with a dark V-shape. Dorsally, the ground color for the body can be gray, brown, beige, pinkish, olive or khaki. The pattern, if present, is darker, can be gray, bluish, rust or brown in color, and may consist of a middorsal row or double row of large spots. When two rows are present, the spots may alternate or oppose, which can produce anything from a saddled to a continuous zigzag pattern. The spots are usually brown, dark gray or black, but are sometimes red, brick, yellow or olive in color.[2]Females are usually 3 and a half feet long, while males are 5 feet long.

[edit] Common names
Blunt-nosed viper, Lebetine viper, Levant viper,[2] Levantine viper,[4], Levantine adder,[5] Kufi or Kufi viper (from Arabic), Gjursa (Russian),[2] coffin snake, Levante viper, mountain viper.[6], Gunas (from KashmiriLebetine vipers are endangered, and nothing is being done to keep their existence remaining.

[edit] Geographic range
Dagestan, Algeria, Tunisia, Cyprus, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Russian Caucasia, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhistan, Tadzikhistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kashmir. At one point there was also a report of this species from Yemen by Scortecci (1929). The type locality originally given was "Oriente." Mertens and Müller (1928) suggested restricting the range to "Cypern" (Cyprus).[1]

Offline Gavos999

dangerous snakes
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 08:59:20 AM »
we had an experience with a 3ft ish snake in calis last week at the back of sultans aqua park , it was jet black in colour and looked quite mean to be honest ..

Gav

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
dangerous snakes
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 09:06:24 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Gavos999

we had an experience with a 3ft ish snake in calis last week at the back of sultans aqua park , it was jet black in colour and looked quite mean to be honest ..

Gav

A black one slithered across the road in front of our bikes last week in Koca Calis. I was told it was probably a water snake and harmless. It was near the canal on frog alley.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:06:55 AM by stoop »

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
dangerous snakes
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 11:25:51 AM »
have seen some little ones near to our apartment but far enough away for us NOT to put it on the market and look to buy in Brid instead!
They seem to hang around by the river so assume them to be water snakes though to be fair they could be dancing snakes as they make me leap up and down whenever I see one!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
dangerous snakes
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 11:41:49 AM »
Remember this "little one" near your apartment Cavo :D

http://calis-beach.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24874&SearchTerms=snake

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf