Author Topic: house alarm going off  (Read 7205 times)

Offline dinger

house alarm going off
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 16:33:25 PM »
For anyone who doesn't have a note of it, the direct number for Uzumlu Jandarma is 6655001

Offline phil1839

house alarm going off
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 18:04:18 PM »
Apparently the Jandarma are driving around in the early hours of the morning sounding their siren at various intervals, they are not going to catch too many burglars that way, probably just hoping to scare them away. The only way to prevent crime is to catch burglars and put them in prison for long periods of time so they cannot commit crime. We tried explaining that to Magistrates, Judges and do gooders in England but it fell on deaf ears!!!

Offline peecee

house alarm going off
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 05:30:04 AM »
Think you'll find it the same here, Phil.
In 2007 5 houses got 'done'.  Only one house actually had stuff stolen.  Burglars got caught, year later witnesses called to Court for pretrial hearing.  Only 2 of us (neighbour and myself) turned up, (not the people who lost money, passports etc).  After waiting for 5/6 hours at Courthouse, in the corridor with the burglars, not having a clue what was going on, the Judge asked us both if we wanted them prosecuted!!. So fed up by the whole thing, hadn't lost anything, said 'no'.  Pointless exercise.
Perhaps wrong attitude but it was the Judge's decision whether to prosecute or not.  After all, it's his country's criminals. Perhaps he couldn't be bothered either.

Offline phil1839

house alarm going off
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 06:46:24 AM »
So basically there is no deterrent, they can still look at it as an easy way to make money with little or no risk even if they are caught. All we can do is  make your house as secure as possible to make it harder for them to get in. If anybody has tourist villas near to them it might be worth taking two minutes of their time to explain the situation to them so they either take small valuables with them when they go out and they secure there properties when they are in bed and don't sleep with windows open.

Offline peecee

house alarm going off
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 14:58:03 PM »
Read with interest both Mr Efes post and Mikrik's response. IMO opinion one of the biggest problems is very few of us speak enough Turkish to get the Jandarma out to an 'occuring' break-in and the Jandarma do not speak enough English to understand what is being said.  Would it be possible to ask for a few (2/3) Turkish speaking volunteers who would be prepared to act as interpreters?  Obviously this would mean being phoned in the middle of the night!![?]And would mean quite a few peoplewould have access to their phone no's.

Offline phil1839

house alarm going off
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 15:23:10 PM »
Peecee, You could try asking Eddie at Cadianda 2 or Mettin at the Winehouse. The number for the Uzumlu Jandarma is 0252 6655001, 'there is a thief/burglar' is Hirsiz Var. 'Quick' is Cabuk(CHABUK) and 'You must come' is Gelmelisin. Then you need to learn your Sokak No. and the number of your house in Turkish. I'll probably be torn to pieces because my Turkish is not great but if it was urgent you could try that first and then go with Eddie or Mettin if they are willing. If somebody can give another sentence that is better can you post it and people can write it down and have it handy if the wheel comes off. Anything is better than nothing in an emergency.

Offline peecee

house alarm going off
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 18:56:27 PM »
Phil, appreciate what you're saying but what I meant was a 'collective' we.  Mr Efes spotted something dodgy but he wouldn't have known exactly where it was happening.  I personally don't even have a road or road number.
If we all had a contact no. to explain whereabouts it was happening then the Jandarma would have a general idea of where to go.
Perhaps this could be brought up at the next meeting, if there is one.  I would certainly like to come because this 'problem' needs as much input as possible.

Offline mr efes

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 19:03:21 PM »
Thanks for your useful comments peecee and phil, certainly a translator would make life easier for us all, mikrik at the point of seeing a vehicle near my property bearing in mind I didn't have a reg no,it probably could be overreacting to call the jandarma especially giving the fact there was no confirmation of a burglary until the next day. sometimes people are too quick to criticize,surely not posting would not help either ? Eddie also advised me that it really wouldn't be of any benefit without more info :P

Offline Firo

house alarm going off
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 19:29:44 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by peecee

Think you'll find it the same here, Phil.
In 2007 5 houses got 'done'.  Only one house actually had stuff stolen.  Burglars got caught, year later witnesses called to Court for pretrial hearing.  Only 2 of us (neighbour and myself) turned up, (not the people who lost money, passports etc).  After waiting for 5/6 hours at Courthouse, in the corridor with the burglars, not having a clue what was going on, the Judge asked us both if we wanted them prosecuted!!. So fed up by the whole thing, hadn't lost anything, said 'no'.  Pointless exercise.
Perhaps wrong attitude but it was the Judge's decision whether to prosecute or not.  After all, it's his country's criminals. Perhaps he couldn't be bothered either.

Offline Firo

house alarm going off
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 19:36:26 PM »
Peecee...Totally wrong we had stuff stolen as had another person we know about (2 of the 5).
We went to court when requested and were the only ones there. Burgulars had been released earlier (probably after you declined to prosecute) after we had waited 5 hours. Asked if we wanted to continue we said Yes and were told, when they have caught them again we would be contacted and the court case would proceed.
The courts out here do not seem to call all witnesses in a logical time line process as we were the only ones called that day.
Still waiting to hear anything.:(
Fi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf