Author Topic: Uzumlu Butcher - fraudulent card payments  (Read 8591 times)

Offline stephen4355

Uzumlu Butcher - fraudulent card payments
« on: July 25, 2009, 07:54:43 AM »
Last March 2009 I used the local butcher to shop as I had done so extensively in the past. I rather considered the guy pretty friendly and welcoming.  On 3 different occasions at that time my debit card was swiped for payment. After the first swipe I was told it was not working, and so it was on each of the following swipes on 3 occasions when the card was swiped twice. Then I was told nothing went through.  I then paid cash in full for all I had purchased on the 3 visits which I belived at that time had not been paid for and that my card transactions had failed. .

On seeing my statemnts however, each and every attempt with my card had gone through and was paid the next day. Not withstanding this I had also paid in cash. I immediately informed the butcher and his response was that it was a bank problem. My statemnts clearly show the duplicated payments being debited to his acount. It is now 4 months later and he has done nothing to adress this problem or repay me. He says I should have to go to the bank ? I will be going to the police and taking whatever action is required to get my money back, and futhermore make sure as many others are aware of this balatant dishonesty and greed of this local Uzumlu butcher.

I am told from various sources now that his name and trading history is less than reputable. Does anybody else have knowledge of these or any other scams of poor practise from the past? It is a great shame and a pity that this sort of experience damages trust and faith in supporting local businesses. I hope this butcher will be shamed into repaying me or if not, then, taking the consequeses and bad publicity of involving the police and courts to prevent him from such dishonest trading in future.
I welcome any fedback or help an asistance in nailing this guy. A boycott of his shop would almost certainly get the message home that customers will not tolerate being ripped off !

Offline friar tuck

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 08:52:59 AM »
I have had this happen also BUT NOT at the local butcher but at Migros in Fethiye and eventually my bank coughed up the cash as it was not my fault, if it is the local butcher I think it is, I have always found him to be honest and helpful, having said that I never use credit or debit credit either in local butchers or big stores now and I think he may be right in saying it is up to the bank to sort out, I have also had this happen at Dalaman airport, good luck and try the banks.
P.S. If you do use your debit or credit card does not matter for how much, KEEP the receipts until you have checked them against your statement, its surprising how many people don't, and if the transaction does not go through ask for cancellation slip it should print one off saying transaction did not go through, basically any evidence to say it did not go through.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 10:58:30 AM by friar tuck »

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
I too have found him a honest and helpful person, and are surprised by your experience ,i hope this is all a miss understanding and that your problem is resolved soon,as for asking to blacklist this person i in my opinion think you are wrong,:( again i hope your problem is sorted soon.Calvin

Offline stephen4355

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 09:06:20 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by friar tuck

I have had this happen also BUT NOT at the local butcher but at Migros and eventually my bank coughed up as it was not my fault, if it is the local butcher I think it is I have always found him to be honest and helpful, having said that I never use credit or debit crda either in local butchers or big stores now and I think he may be right in saying it is up to the bank to sort out, I have also had this happen at Dalaman airport, good luck and try the banks.

Thanks Friar T. However. My bank statement clearly shows the debits being mde and paid to the butcher so he has ben paid twice for each of the thre transactions two times. On top of tht he has also had the cash. In such circumstances it is for him to sort it out as my contract was with him. He will know from his own statements what he has in reciepts and he does know well I paid him additionally total in cash. Because I used a debit not credit card I have no recourse through my own bank.  I am afraid that his actions are dishonest at worst and extremely unhelpful and bad business practise at best.. I am pleased for you that you hav found him good in regard to your own dealings. Interestingly it appears all if not most of the local Turkish do not use him and it is the English that do. That in itself to me raises questions and doubt about his credentials. I think you make a valid point about use of credit and debit cards generally. Thanks again.

Offline stephen4355

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:11:18 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by calvin 1949

I too have found him a honest and helpful person, and are surprised by your experience ,i hope this is all a miss understanding and that your problem is resolved soon,as for asking to blacklist this person i in my opinion think you are wrong,:( again i hope your problem is sorted soon.Calvin

Calvin, Thanks for your comments response. Again pleased to hear your experience is good in this respect. As for getting it sorted and resolved this is all I have wanted and been waiting for.. After 3 months it is not unreasonable to take and seek some action to get a resolution. As for boycot / blacklist that is a matter or individuals of course.

Offline Cadbury

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
This has happened to me twice, once with BIM and also for a telephone top up. Eventually my bank had to request repayment from the supplier's bank, took a long time but was resolved. Keep receipt even if it says that it hasn't gone through. I wouldn't have been able to get the money back without it. As regards the butcher I would endorse other people's comments as to his honesty.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »
it has also happened to us, but strangely in a bank ATM, certainly not at the Butchers in Uzumlu.  In 4 years of using the Butcher in uzumlu we have found him helpful, kind and friendly.  He has always looked after us very well.  It is not unusual that the locals do not use him.  Few locals have surplus money to spend on food bought from supermarkets - most grow their own fruit and veg and use the markets.  Meat is a luxury in Turkey and most meals are meat free.  It could have been an error with the banking equipment - it happens.

Offline stephen4355

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 14:26:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by pookie

it has also happened to us, but strangely in a bank ATM, certainly not at the Butchers in Uzumlu.  In 4 years of using the Butcher in uzumlu we have found him helpful, kind and friendly.  He has always looked after us very well.  It is not unusual that the locals do not use him.  Few locals have surplus money to spend on food bought from supermarkets - most grow their own fruit and veg and use the markets.  Meat is a luxury in Turkey and most meals are meat free.  It could have been an error with the banking equipment - it happens.

Thanks Pookie... I am encouraged by the positive feedback from you and others on the forum. Perhaps I am just unlucky to be ripped off on this occasion. Still after 4 months and no effort on part of the butcher to repay me or assist with his bank what am I to do..

Thanks again for feedback..

Stephen

Offline villan

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 16:37:09 PM »
I`ve known the local butcher and his lovely family for 3 years.He is,in my experience,a very decent and honourable person.It would certainly seem that there has been some hitch in the banking system.Be that as it may,fact remains that there is a problem which should be resolved urgently and amicably.without recourse to heavy artillery such as police or lawyers.Perhaps one of our expats who speaks Turkish could assist?The disclosure of the relevant bank records by both parties should be the obvious starting point.(PS I introduced myself to the main Forum yesterday)

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 17:14:27 PM »
Agree wholeheartedly with Villan i think time to stand back and reassess the situation , and in the cold light of day i am sure that Stephens  problem can be sorted . life is to short for all this bad feeling .Regards Calvin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf