Author Topic: Death threats  (Read 10446 times)

Offline Firo

Death threats
« on: October 17, 2009, 02:36:48 AM »
It's 4am and Eric and I have just returned from Uzumlu Jandarma having placed charges for threatening behaviour against the owner of East meets West (the old Camlik). He is Turkish and has lived in the UK for many years with his English wife and has returned to Uzumlu to start his business.
At about 1pm just after we had gone to bed the dogs started barking and we could hear a voice shouting outside. We looked out of the window and a drunk man was shouting threats at the house. He knew our names and was threatening to make our lives hell,kill me and blow up or burn the house.. After he would not leave Eric got dressed and went outside to try and calm him down and try to identify him. I called the Jandarma and Eric was following him down the road. All the time he was threatening to come back and shoot us in the head and to make our lives hell. At the corner of the road Eric recognised him and was trying to keep an eye on him whilst waiting for the Jandarma. He accused us of pocketing all the monies we have raised in our quizes and living the high life with it.He told us to leave his country and if we didn't he would make our life hell. He said he hates the English even though he is married to an English woman.
He then said that we had told people not to go to his restaurant which is totally untrue. We only ever went there once and had a uncooked meal. That was when it first opened and we only saw him again when he acted as an interperator in July when a friend needed help with the Jandarma.
Someone has told him a blatant lie and we think the fact that we have fabulous attendance at the quizes in the Cadianda has caused this reaction.
I am now petrified of what our life is going to be like in this village when all we have ever done has been to try and raise monies for the Cement Factory fight and now local childrens projects.
Yes our house is already up for sale and Yes we were going to stay in Uzumlu but now if and when we sell we will be leaving to move to an area where we can do what we came here to do and that was to retire and lead a quiet life.
The future of the quiz nights is now in doubt as we do not want the jealous animosity that has come with it.
I am now going to try and get some sleep but somehow I don't think that is going to happen.
Fi & Eric

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Death threats
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 06:40:50 AM »
So sorry to hear of your experience It was not a nice thing to happen but was this just the Demon drink that was causing the aggro?  Will it go away in the cold light of day? I hope so. I have seen many instances of seemingly quite sociable people change like Jekkyl and Hyde under the influence of alcohol. Whatever happens don't let it get to you :)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Death threats
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:53:59 AM »
OMG that's terrible Fi.  Clearly this person is having trouble with his business.  And clearly a pretty twisted person as been giving him 'info' to whip him up.  I hope the Jandarma is going to do something about him.  Hopefully he won't be around long, one way or another.  What a nightmare.  I hope you're OK.

Please, please, please don't abandon the quiz nights (and Uzumlu).  They are so much fun and do so much good for the community.  I have total faith that all monies raised go to their rightful place.  His accusations are ridiculous.  This is one very nasty person, with some pathetic, bitter minded person feeding him a line.  Please don't throw it all in because of this.  There are so many people who enjoy the fun at the quiz nights and a lot of the reason for that is the fun both you and Eric put in to it.   Dave and I have always hoped you will stay in the village and, while  can understand your feelings while this is so fresh in your mind, I really hope you realise this is just one person (drunk), and why should HE drive you away from here.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Death threats
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:53:59 AM »
You are stronger than that Fi.

Offline pegleg

Death threats
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:08:26 AM »
very sorry to here that Fiona, hope things look brighter this morning.

we know how it feels, happened to us 3 years ago by a turk blaming us for his failing business. dont give up we all enjoy our fortnightly quizes, keeps us all sane lol, and the money you raise is used for the good of the village children, all the best to you both.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Death threats
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 08:26:49 AM »
Envy and Hatred.It seems to be rife in the Turkish business world.Right is on your side Fi,why should you let one drunken individual spoil all the plans you have worked so hard for??Sod him.!!I would be inclined to go round to him, with witnesses,in the daytime and ask him who the bl**dy hell he thinks he is and threaten to sue him,hit him in the pocket.My bet is if he is struggling with his business he will head back to the Uk for better money,you will be left in peace,and we'll have to put up with him over here.You two have fought a battle against the Cement Works on behalf of a lot of people.Now is the time for all those people to fight for you.I will help in any way I can.And besides,what about the poor kids of Uzumlu???

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Death threats
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 08:41:43 AM »
Fi & Eric

If only I had time to go through the number of people who threatened me and my family during my time there. Sadly it's par for the course that within the very honourable and lovely Turks you find this little percentage of wannabee mafia types, pathetically telling you what they will do if you don't tow their line in "their country". I sometimes wondered how acceptable they would find it if they were told what they can and can't do in the UK by pretend Al Capone's. Of course that would never happen, we're far too hospitable us Brits.

It's amazing how easily they set off if you have the right evil mind to press all the buttons and point them in a direction - never let the truth get in the way of a good story, especially when business is involved. One thing I do know is that whilst people like you and I are having wonderful lives, their private and business lives are nearly always disfunctional and miserable, no matter how much front they try to project. It's often your happiness they can't handle and feel the need to attack that.

As someone who's had a gun stuck in his face and been told his kids would be killed I can tell you this, we're all still here and we won't let little mozzies who think they're big time gangsters change the fact that we'll be coming to see the hundreds of good Turkish friends we made for a very long time yet  :)

Once again, a great public advert for a tinpot business, I've never even heard of "East meets West" and for sure I won't be giving them any of my hard earned if that's the way they treat my fellow Brits. I'd hope many others reading this will find such behaviour totally unacceptable and show some solidarity and stand shoulder to shoulder with you too.

Keep smiling, it really p1sses them off  :)

Offline calvin 1949

Death threats
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
Sorry to hear about you problem Fi and Eric , hope things are sorted soon ,i know this guy has problems but it is no excuse for this sort of behaviour ,we are there if you need us .Calvin

Offline amanda bullock

Death threats
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:21:49 AM »
chin up Fi,don't let him spoil it for you.x

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Death threats
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 10:36:49 AM »
Fi - that really is awful and although I know you must both feel really "hurt" and disenchanted - I tend to agree with Tribalelder - people can turn very nasty with a few too many drinks and I supect and hope that this is a one off incident.

Hopefully some of your Turkish friends may have a word with him - let's hope you receive an apology very soon but either way keep your spirits up - your contribution to the local community does not warrant this.

Ian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf