Author Topic: Private Dogs  (Read 2565 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Private Dogs
« on: November 05, 2009, 06:51:40 AM »
This statemennt has just been released to inform and remind Private Dog owners of their responsibilities, this will allow us to round up ANY dogs wandering the streets, get them neutered and return them without any comebacks on us and this work will start very shortly.

Dear Friends,

After a quiet period of time, I am now very happy to inform you about developments in Fethiye.

If you remember, one year ago we transferred the financial responsibility for running the Centre to the Fethiye Municipality. The Mayor was very happy to take this responsibility and was very grateful that we had run it for so many years through the help of our sponsors. He has taken this financial responsibility under the condition that I would still be responsible for managing the Cenrtre

Our vet, Emre Kangal and the rest of the personnel who were employed by us 10 years ago are still working in the Centre. Their salaries are now paid by the municipality.

Our successful work in Fethiye has proven that Neuter and Return will work to minimize the stray dog problem, if it is done correctly. We are at the stage now where we start to notice the problem caused by private dog owner's irresponsible behavior.

Therefore I have approached the Mayor to sort out this problem to take action which is justified by the Animal Protection Law of Turkey.

Private dog owners are not informed about their responsibilities as pet owner, and some are also very ignorant. By law at no time are dogs allowed to roam around the streets. But they do, day and night! Because most of the private dogs are not neutered they copulate and give birth to unwanted puppies that end up either in our Centre or are left abandoned on the streets.

The Mayor has agreed that official announcements are made through TV, newspapers and street announcements several times a day that private dog owners have to keep their dogs under control and that we will collect every dog on the street that is found without its owner.  We will take these dogs to our Centre where they will be neutered and returned back to the street with a tag in its ear.

We are aware of the great problem we will have with the owners but they are breaking the Law by letting their dog roam. We will have to face this problem and deal with each case as it arises.

There are 8 private veterinary clinics in Fethiye. They are not advising their clients to neuter their dogs as every new puppy is a potential client! This is why we are also expecting some problems with the veterinary clinics.

Kind Regards,

Perihan Agnelli

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:13:33 AM by tinkerman »

Offline janmack

Private Dogs
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 11:59:44 AM »
Fair comment.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Private Dogs
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »
This is a great move forward but I wonder if some owner's will turn their dogs out to wander the streets to save them having their dog neutered free of charge?

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Private Dogs
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 12:39:31 PM »
The biggest problem we have is they don't want their dogs neutered but happy for them to roam.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Private Dogs
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mercury

This is a great move forward but I wonder if some owner's will turn their dogs out to wander the streets to save them having their dog neutered free of charge?

I was thinking that.  But then, what's the answer?  Realistically.

Offline june

Private Dogs
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 17:15:56 PM »
Tinx is right, they don't want them neutered....for reasons they know and we won't bother discussing because it just to daft for words....so if they let them roam....let the reap the consequences.....it will help control the amount of dogs on the street I am sure.

Well done Perihan. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf