Author Topic: happy smilling faces  (Read 2663 times)

Offline busybee

happy smilling faces
« on: November 18, 2009, 17:31:14 PM »
Some of the carnival committee went along to the school in Gunlukbasi to see the overhead projector and screen which we bought for them.  We also gave many of the children pens which light up, these were very kindly donated. By the look on their faces you would have thought we had given them play stations!!! Happy smiley faces was an understatement :)

The kids were absolutely delightful and so polite and well behaved.  It really reinforces for me why I get up 5.30am for boot sales, wrap hundreds of tombola presents, attend enless meetings, dresss up in stupid clothes etc and run round like a headless chicken during Carnival Week...........

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
happy smilling faces
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 20:54:29 PM »

Well done Busybee and all who gave up their time for this cause  :)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
happy smilling faces
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 22:06:01 PM »
Fantastic.Thats what it's all about.well done.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
happy smilling faces
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 22:40:42 PM »
Hi Kevin. After visiting this school today, it was decided to donate the printer, scanner to them. They are quite a large school and they are desperate for a new one. I hope that you will be happy with our decision.. They are very grateful. Thanks again to both Kevin's. Onw for giving, one for buying.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
happy smilling faces
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 23:07:18 PM »
Yes the kid's faces are the payback Anne, and the good feeling from knowing you are doing something that actually will make a difference. Tinx and I were lucky enough to experience that just before I came back to the UK, and it was an experience I'll keep forever. The wages of charity are crap, good job there's smiling faces  ;)

Offline Pi55y

happy smilling faces
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 23:10:53 PM »
Thats right, some of the money raised from the 2009 Calis Carnival has provided a local school with much needed teaching equipment.

Silkar School, located on the Gunlukbasi Road has over 1000 pupils aged between 6 and 14 and its wide catchment area covers some of the more needy areas of the town. The school was desperate for a laptop computer, overhead projector and screen to enable them to use them as teaching aids for large numbers of children.

Following discussion with the school, the Carnival Committee decided to purchase the much needed equipment. Today members of the Committee visited the school to meet the headmaster, staff and children and to see the equipment in use.

We were treated to a slideshow projection of the pupils taking part in this year's carnival parade before we were taken  to meet some of the younger children in their classrooms. It was there that we distributed  hundreds of light up pens and pencil sharpeners donated by Calis Carnival supporter Kevin 3 (thanks Kev :D).  A new printer/scanner purchased on this forum  by Kevin3 and immediately donated back to the committee will also be donated to the school :D).

This  project at Silkar School is one of many projects that are being funded from the money (24,500 TL) raised from the 2009 Carnival fundraising events.  

Thanks to everyone who has supported the carnival and the fundraising events and who have helped make this happen.

And now for some pictures

The school

Barbara dishes out the pens

The Kit!

the screen - note the procession

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
happy smilling faces
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 23:20:04 PM »
What's Mete standing on? :D

Superb stuff, even a pen can do it...

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
happy smilling faces
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 23:20:28 PM »
Thnaks for the photos Chrissie and many congratulations to all those who do such marvelous work for the kids:D

Offline Pi55y

happy smilling faces
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 23:25:09 PM »
Tiptoes I think!

Offline sunlover

happy smilling faces
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 09:57:50 AM »
Lovely pictures chrissy...certainly makes it all worthwhile when you wee them...

hope to help you out with some more for the kids when we come over in May.....

sunlover

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf