Author Topic: Do you have any YTL currency left?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Pi55y

Do you have any YTL currency left?
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
As you are no doubt aware, any coins/banknotes with YTL (yeni/new Turkish Lira) on them are no longer legal tender in Turkey as from 1 January 2010.

New notes and coins - Turkish Lira - came into being a year ago and the government were allowing 1 year to phase out the old notes/coins.

You can still change old notes (for 10 years) and coins (for 1 year) but only at a local branch of Ziraat bank, but this obviously entails a special journey to do so.

If anyone has any old YTL coins and notes hanging around (maybe left over from last year's holiday) that they cannot be bothered to queue up and exchange and wish to donate them to a good cause instead, the Calis Carnival Committee will be very happy to take these off your hands. We will then get them changed in bulk at the end of the year and the money will go to help disadvantaged children in the local Calis/Fethiye area.

We will be arranging a collection point so that you can drop off any old money - no matter how little - details to be announced later this week - or you can contact any of the committee or e-mail me through the forum.

Also if anyone in UK has any old currency but is not coming out in the next year or so, we have a UK address that they can be sent to (please e-mail me for details)

Thanks

Chrissie

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 15:59:33 PM »
As from tomorrow you will be able to drop off your old and unwanted yeni turkish lira notes and yeni kurus coins at either the Nil Bar in Calis or at FETAV office in Fethiye (their office is in the old belediye/court house building - their door is opposite the sarcophogus on the cultural centre side of the building).  There will be collecting buckets at both locations and these will be there until the end of 2010.

Please don't forget that every kurus will go to help disadvantaged children in the Calis/Fethiye area.

Offline sunlover

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:58:44 AM »
Hi Chrissie...
Thanks for the info on this..i certainly was not aware that this currncy was going out this year.. bugger i saved quite a bit for our visit May!!!!!!!!!!  Oh well more for the carnival fund now..

see you may with all our goodies for you..

sunlover (carole)

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 16:21:47 PM »
Thanks Carole, it will be good to see you again and all goodies and old ytl currency will be very welcome :D

Offline Lindar

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 18:50:33 PM »
Got some in my purse, can we still change them in UK?

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 21:10:05 PM »
I would doubt it Lindar as it is no longer accepted as general currency in Turkey and only the two Turkish state banks are exchanging it and I believe that this is at less then the full value       (please correct me if I am wrong).  Like I have already said the Carnival Committee will be very happy to take any old currency off your hands and we will then exchange it at the end of the year for whatever value has been agreed by the state banks and this will then go towards helping disadvantaged children on the Calis/Fethiye area.

Offline AndyLin

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 08:07:55 AM »
Made a donation at the Nil yesterday
Lin

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:43:55 AM »
Thanks Lin  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf