Author Topic: dog passport  (Read 2277 times)

Offline cadavanti

dog passport
« on: January 20, 2010, 08:17:17 AM »
Hi
We are thinking of spending more time in our villa from next year, ie 6/7 months at a time, however we were wanting to bring our dog over and then take him back to the Uk when we return, I am a little confused over the return side to the UK, I spoke to a vet in Turkey who says there is no problem however when trying to research it on the internet Turkey is excluded
Can any pet owners shed any light on the procedure

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
dog passport
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:26:39 AM »
Turkey isn't party to the Pet Passport scheme. If your dog enters Turkey it will need to be quarantined in an EU country or other country that's part of the scheme for 6 months, or in kennels in the UK on your return.

I think you should name the Turkish vet who gave you that information as they need to be properly informed about the regulations.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:27:12 AM by KKOB »

Offline berrygirl91

dog passport
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 15:17:02 PM »
i only know from bringing our dog over from england, we brought him over by car on an e.u pet passport theres no problem getting him to to the country but if we want to take him back he has to go in to quarantined which can be about 6 months or more. if i was you i would leave your dog home as over all it will cost you as you have to pay for vets and defra bills along with quarantine kennels. hope  this helps

Offline C-E

dog passport
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 16:15:34 PM »
Hi, DEFRA have a web site for help on this. http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/index.htm they also have a contact
Pet Travel Scheme helpline Telephone: +44 (0)870 241 1710 - Monday to Friday - 8am to 6pm UK time (closed Bank Holidays).

Email: quarantine@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk - Please enclose your postal address and a day time telephone number.

Fax: +44 (0) 1245 458749.  Quarantine Section Telephone: +44 (0) 1245 454860

Email: quarantine@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk - Please enclose your postal address and a daytime telephone number.  Fax: +44 (0) 1245 458749

Hope this helps.

Also speak to your vet in the UK he/she will be very helpful.  We found our vet in the UK to be more than happy to help us bring over our 2 cats.

He did all the paper work and even contacted Turkish Airlines and found out that we could keep the cats in the cabin with us on the flight out here.

Offline peecee

dog passport
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 15:09:42 PM »
Hi, KKOB is correct.  There's is no problem bringing a dog into Turkey so long as the paperwork is in order.  The problem starts when you want to re-enter UK (and it IS only UK).  HE/she will have to go into quarantine for 6 months even though all vaccines are up to date.  UK says that the animal may have contracted rabies whilst in Turkey hence quarantine.  
Long story, a friend of mine fell in love with a dog here and decided to take her home.  VERY costly, very time-consuming to organise and she, the dog, eventually ended up living in Germany because, even though she was coming from/through Germany in theory, she still would have had to go into quarantine kennels for 6 months in the UK because she had been in Turkey.  There is no way around it if they (the UK) know he/she has been in Turkey.

Offline Firo

dog passport
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 16:56:30 PM »
If the dog stays with someone in the EU and gets a pet passport and all the jabs,tests etc then after 6 months it can enter the UK without quarantine.
Would be interesting how much kennels for 6 months in Europe cost against quarantine in UK.
I have also .heard of some families in France taking pets in for this purpose.

Offline cadavanti

dog passport
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 16:57:21 PM »
Hi

Thanks for all the info, we will have to re-think our plans, it obviousley will not work out bringing the dog out for 6 months and then quarentine for 6 months

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf