Author Topic: Youtube  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Piscoe

Youtube
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 09:07:36 AM »
I'm undecided about this one. On the one hand I see what Scunner is saying and cannot disagree. The whole issue of censureship of the internet and the worlds governments inability/unwillingness to moderate is a tricky one. We would all like to see the offensive material banned or at least monitored but how and who decides what is and what isn't acceptable? Do you entrust Hugh Heffner or Mary Whitehouse?

If someone has a political view and wishes to criticise their government then it is in the interests of democracy that right is protected. The Taliban for example would ban just about everything except their own political ramblings.

Like most things a sensible balance is required and the internet should be policed to ensure both respect and decency but who decides that?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Youtube
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 10:14:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

If anti-British 'clerics' in the UK targeted Churchill as their hate figure, the British government would act to prevent it.

Would it? I am not sure that it would or could. And you needn't rely upon anti-British clerics to hate Churchill; there are plenty of old South Wales trade unionists who condemn the man for sending in British troops against striking Welsh miners when he was Home Secretary.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Youtube
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 10:24:03 AM »
Hurriedly cobbled together laws can easily be put in place when it comes to requiring new powers to deal with people involving themselves with anti-British preaching. Especially with an election so close and immigration being a key issue with voters.

As for the Welsh, they moan about everyone and everything so why are you singling Churchill out  ;)

Offline ukchris

Youtube
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 11:37:08 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Piscoe

Do you entrust Hugh Heffner or Mary Whitehouse?

No, but how about giving Amy Whinehouse a go ?  ;)

Offline Woodies

Youtube
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 00:09:08 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Piscoe

Like most things a sensible balance is required and the internet should be policed to ensure both respect and decency but who decides that?

In this instance as it is the showing of youtube in Turkey we are discussing-The Turkish government/authorities.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf