Author Topic: Best pet shop?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline crystalgirl

« on: May 09, 2010, 18:15:58 PM »
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best pet shop for purchasing birds?  Well actually just one!  Does anyone know if anyone sells any hand reared or tamed ones?
Thanks so much

Offline Harmless

Best pet shop?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 19:05:51 PM »
We generally go to Kent, opposite Migros.  Our first goldfish is over a year old and so is our current hamster with the two previous hamsters living to be about 3 which is not bad.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Best pet shop?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:17:44 AM »
Purely my opinion but but please think twice.
Birds belong in trees just like dolphins belong in the sea.  It's very sad to see a bird caged in solitary confinement with a life sentence.

Offline miaspyro

Best pet shop?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:27:29 AM »
Jacqui on the whole agree I with you, the birds sold in pet shops are breed in captivity and would die if set free, although it is better to have more than one. We always allowed our budgies to fly free in a secure room, and when it was time to go back in their cage would hop on your finger to be put back, so it is possible to give captive birds the best of both worlds.  

Kent pet shop is one of the best they speak english and have a good sound knowledge of animal care, give them a visit and see what you think.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Best pet shop?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:36:48 AM »
Yes, my family had budgies and canaries and I always thought it was fine until,  I watched a  life changing documentary on T.V. one evening starring Kim Basinger and her then husband Alex Baldwin it was all about birds being kept in captivity particularly parrots.  It really opened my eyes to how man has taken birds from the wild to breed for pets, and even though some are bred in captivity, there are still lots being taken from the wild.   There was a scene where Kim & Alex where in the jungle and hundreds of parrots where flying free over over a river, it was wonderful and Kim said this is how birds should be, living in family groups and flying free.  I felt really guilty about the birds we had kept in the past.  I suddenly thought, imagine if humans where taken and put in a small prison for the rest of their lives, sometimes totally alone, possibly being let out to wander around a confined space for a short time then put back.  It changed the way I thought about caged birds and now when I see a group of birds in a pet shop sitting looking miserable I think about the parrots flying free, and I feel so sorry for the caged birds.
All caged bird's ancestors where once wild birds and  I am sure that people who have caged birds are very kind to them, but this is no compensation for the life the birds are meant to be leading.:(

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:38:05 AM by Jacqui Harvey »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf