Author Topic: Charged for a call FROM Turkey?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Charged for a call FROM Turkey?
« on: June 07, 2010, 14:09:01 PM »
Not sure if or why this happened but I got a call from my mate on Saturday who is in Calis and used his English mobile to ring my English mobile whilst I was in the UK.

Well I checked my balance yesterday and it had dropped £16!! from £21 to £5.

Could this be a charge for accepting a call from a roaming mobile? If not then something else must have caused it. I am awaiting a response from o2.

Offline col

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 14:35:34 PM »

You may well find that with o2 when this type of call is made, they do charge both the caller and reciever £1.50p a minute, I also have an o2 mobile account and have had the same charges before.

quote:
Originally posted by stoop

Not sure if or why this happened but I got a call from my mate on Saturday who is in Calis and used his English mobile to ring my English mobile whilst I was in the UK.

Well I checked my balance yesterday and it had dropped £16!! from £21 to £5.

Could this be a charge for accepting a call from a roaming mobile? If not then something else must have caused it. I am awaiting a response from o2.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 15:08:46 PM »
As soon as I arrived at Dalaman, I got a call from a supposed UK number.....+442001020020. I rejected it and got charged for it. I added it to my blocked numbers but it still rang me daily for 6 days and charged me when I cut it off. I contacted o2 (25p per minute) who kept me on hold for ages while they checked the number. They did not know who was calling me and suggested I switch off my voicemail. This worked but I lost about £24 in total from these calls and time on hold from o2! Not a happy bunny.
:(

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 15:12:27 PM »
We were stuck in turkey during the recent ash cloud episode, and my well-meaning friends and family cost me rather a lot of money in mobile calls !  in the end we had to ignore them - rather mean, but we topped up several times and all in all spent over £60 on mobile calls alone (and thats without the phone cards for the airlines etc etc !).

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 17:23:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Toky

I contacted o2 (25p per minute) who kept me on hold for ages while they checked the number.

Have you tried the chat help at the O2 website instead of phoning? It's free, and in these times where it is trendy to knock customer service departments, I must say very helpful and sorted out my query. It also allows you to get on with things on the PC while you are 'on hold'.

Worth a go.

Offline suzi Q

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 17:57:57 PM »
I'm with T mobile and they charge the same £1.50 per minute to receive
calls I was stuck in turkey and came home to a rather large telephone bill too.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 18:45:09 PM »
I think one or two are missing my point - I was in the UK accepting a call from a mobile in Turkey.

Could o2 have charged me because my friend is using his UK mobile in Calis?

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 20:14:51 PM »
I didn't think that was possible otherwise it would seriously question why we would answer any calls in the uk on a mobile

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 20:51:29 PM »
Stoop - We are on O2 PAYG and have never heard of them charging for the example you mentioned, but like Toky have had problems with being charged for something that should have been free.
Sent them an Email through their website to complain, never got any reply but the phone balance went back to its previous amount within 24 hours.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 21:06:19 PM »
Stoop, Your assumption is correct a mobile to mobile call from abroad attracts a charge to both phones.
Paul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf