Author Topic: Charged for a call FROM Turkey?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Charged for a call FROM Turkey?
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 21:14:36 PM »
I have emailed them and they are looking into the sudden loss of credit. I cannot think of anything else it could be as I have only gone on line at home and it always defaults to my wifi - so no charge there. If bewa is correct it will be the last time I accept an international call on my mobile whilst in the UK (or anywhere).

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 21:43:20 PM »
No that isn't right - a mobile to mobile call UK to UK mobile abroad incurs a charge to both, there is no charge to receive a call from abroad on a UK mobile when you are in the UK. That would be ridiculous.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 00:09:05 AM »
I thought that as well Keith but I can't think why I've lost so much credit. I await o2's response.

Offline milorni

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
I too ended up with a hefty mobile bill after being stranded in Turkey whilst waiting for the ash cloud to lifet. When I returned I rang T Mobile and asked if they could help at all over the charges and the "generously" made me a goodwill gesture of a £10 refund. Might be worth others trying as well. It's not much but better in my pocket than theirs!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 08:35:40 AM »
But I was in the UK??

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 11:25:57 AM »
I have had a reply - well sort of. It seems I overused my free web allowance - however I have asked them to confirm dates and times as I rarely use it - preferring my wifi connection. It would have had to be either Saturday night or Sunday but I cannot think how it happened. Maybe I pressed something by mistake.

Anyway it wasn't the call from Turkey and they gave me a £10 refund.

I'm still intrigued as to what exactly happened though.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »
It gets better - some person has now told me this:

Stuart, even if you are using the home Wifi to access internet on your
mobile phone, you'll be charged. This is because the, if you connect to
the internet on your mobile phone using the home Wifi the  data access
happens on the SIM card. This is reason you are charged.

Rubbish??? I have asked her to check her understanding of wifi charges as I'm certain that I should not get charged for using wifi. If so what's the point?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 12:50:05 PM by stoop »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
But I assume you have used wifi for internet access on many more occasions than this one over a number of months? It does sound like total rubbish to me too.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 13:10:09 PM »
Correct Keith - she clearly has no idea what a wifi mobile is. I replied to her:

I am sorry you are incorrect. I should not get charged anything to access the internet through my wifi connection. Only if I access it with the o2 pay as you go connection and my allowance has run out.

My wifi is paid for separately and no way should I get charged for accessing the wifi with my phone - that was the whole point of buying it so that I can connect anywhere for free when I can get a wifi connection.

Can you please check your understanding as I am 100% sure that I should not get any charges for accessing the internet through a wifi connection.

..and...

Further to my last reply - wifi connections do not go through the sim card but through the modem built into the phone. I have a Nokia 5800 which is wifi enabled and I do not need to use the o2 internet connection unless I cannot get a wifi signal. I can also still access the internet when my phone is 'offline' and there is no o2 signal (flight mode).

So saying that I was charged for accessing the web through my home wifi connection is clearly wrong. Can you please confirm that I wasn't charged for accessing wifi in this way.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf