Author Topic: Snakes & Scorpions  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Paul Brock

Snakes & Scorpions
« on: June 13, 2010, 19:39:51 PM »
We will be moving to Uzumlu in a couple of weeks when our new home is finished.
On a recent visit our Turkish neighbours wound my wife up with stories of snakes and scorpions being prevalent so she has become concerned.
Firstly how much of a problem are snakes and scorpions and secondly what can you do about controlling them.

Offline Honey Bee

Snakes & Scorpions
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 22:40:37 PM »
 :o

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Snakes & Scorpions
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 22:42:43 PM »
go to the search facilty there is a topic on there recently about snakes and scorpions

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Snakes & Scorpions
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 22:48:17 PM »
 :o
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 22:48:57 PM by puma »

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Snakes & Scorpions
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 00:52:44 AM »
I know for fact that there were snakes in Hisonaru, my daughter was bitten by one and had to go to the hospital for an injection, she still has a little scar on her foot, we still dont know to this day if it was shock at the thought of being bit or the reaction from the bite itself, though I believe they are not poisonous, but still not nice.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Snakes & Scorpions
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 09:16:53 AM »
yes indeed Paul  -  we have both in Uzumlu.  I'm not going to say they are prevalent, but we have seen a few.  We have seen Ottoman vipers on a couple of occasions in the olive groves and scorpions like hiding out in brick walls.  We have found Scorpions around the pool - they come out to drink from the splashes in the early evening (or so it seems).  Always wear flip flops around the garden !  

If you like walking around Cadianda - I'm afraid that this is indeed Snake country.........so beware [xx(]

Offline Paul Brock

Snakes & Scorpions
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 14:06:05 PM »
Any recommendations for a deterrent?

There seem to be 3 main options:

Chemicals
Animals - chickens for scorpions, cats for snakes
or Electronic - ultrasound devices

Has anyone knowledge of the effectiveness of any of these

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Snakes & Scorpions
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 14:26:48 PM »
Don't rely on chickens or cats as a deterrent. We had cats, dogs, chickens, ducks and turkeys still had scorpions and snakes. It was costing us a bloody fortune in food !

Some Turks swear by the sulphur powder that they scatter around as a deterrent but you have to make sure that the "nasties" aren't already on the land as you're going to be cutting off their means of escape.

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 17:26:39 PM »
We lived in Uzumlu for 3 1/2 years and when you come out walk into the village centre and you will see 100 + elderly Turkish men relaxing,drinking their tea and I bet most of them spent most of their long working lives in the fields and hills around the village. Whilst creepy crawlies do exist let the sight of all these 'survivors' put the whole thing into some perspective!

Offline peecee

Snakes & Scorpions
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 18:36:07 PM »
If you can get hold of it there is also some stuff called Katran.  It's a vile smelling very thick liquid that is made from the resin of a certain pine.
Most of the locals 'dab' it around the perimeter of the property (about 18" apart) and this, supposedly, keeps scorpions and snakes away.  They can't stand the smell (neither can I.  when I do my dabbing I tend to get a headache)  I do believe it works, been here over 3 years, first 2 years had 4 snakes in the garden, last year only had one that my cat had brought in!
Ask around the village, most of the villagers know what it is (and use it)
Word of warning - when you move into the house give it a good check round.  It is possible that a couple of scorpions may have moved in (they like quiet empty houses) I had 2 when I first moved in, one on the curtains one on the stairs.  It's the pale beige/seethrough ones that are dodgy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf