Author Topic: Shared ownership - buying with friends  (Read 8797 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Shared ownership - buying with friends
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 20:37:44 PM »
I know many people it has worked for and I can't really think of any great disaster. The key to it (from your initial post) is that you all seem to like the idea of having a place in Calis but also attracted by the possibility of a rental income. This is like life itself - while it is generating an income everything is rosy, if it fails to then cracks may start to appear.

I'm quite obviously biased but I'd say go for it.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 21:08:12 PM »
We bought our place in Calis with the express desire to rent it out and make some money.  However, once bought and furnished we loved it so much we could not bear the thought of anyone else in "our" Turkish house.    Once you have a "home",  in Turkey it may be hard to share it with hundreds of strangers who will not treat it as a home and not love it the way you do.  
We cherish the idea of leaving all our clothes and personal items to come back to.   If we had of rented it out, it would just have been another holiday let for us and not a home.
Take this into consideration when deciding, it must be a purely business transaction with no sentiment if you want to buy to rent.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 21:14:41 PM »
Yes agreed - and so many clients buy with a view to earning a rental return then buy the paintings, curtains and furniture etc that they really want rather than what is sufficient. In this time things change from a place to enjoy but also rent out to becoming a place too personal to share. But there's nowt wrong with that if it's friends, the place will get enough use just from the owners and their immediate families.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 23:32:22 PM »
Wow!! For once I totally concur with Jacqui, it wouldn't be like your own property once you agree to let it out. Apart from having to take all of your own kit out of it every time, could you really trust other people to treat your "home from home" with the Love & respect that you do??

Good Luck, whatever youy all decide. :D
Gordy.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 21:21:18 PM »
mmmmm, such a valid point thank you.
I think I would find it hard to resist the temptation of making it my own Jacqui ..... easy at first but as you start buying things to make it how you want it -

Oh decisions, decisions...good job we're not in a hurry!

Offline jul bri

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 06:47:19 AM »
I totally agree with jacqui,and scunner,we did this with our appartment,never been let out yet? the appartment is between Calis and Fethiye.I bought it with a friend,now 5yrs down the line and i am living now in yaniklar,i asked to be bought out of it or can we sell as THEY only use it twice a year but no they still want to use it for there holiday.i have never stayed there ,as i bought my house out here  6 years ago,
and when we came out on holiday always stayed in the Yaniklar,now we are retired we moved here, and it was me who thought the appartment would be good investment at the time and asked them to come in with me .!!!!!!
Julia

Offline scorcher

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 08:08:28 AM »
As usual,good advise from Jacqui.....

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 19:01:14 PM »
We bought with friends seven years ago and so far we have had no problems. Mind you we have been friends 30 years and holiday together a lot. We are all four currently touring NZ.

Good bits are the costs are halved as well as the problems. No real bad parts apart from the eventual legal costs if one of us snuffs it.
Not sorted that bit out yet but it's on this years priority list.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 21:37:59 PM »
Thanks Stoop - it's good to get a balance.
I think we will look around when we're over and see what we can get for our money and then talk some more.  I've certainly had food for thought from everyone with pros and cons to weigh up.
How fabulous - touring New Zealand, how long for?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf