Author Topic: What Is It Like Living In Uzumlu?  (Read 17244 times)

Offline louisa

What Is It Like Living In Uzumlu?
« on: February 15, 2011, 10:58:11 AM »
Hi Everyone

I'm interested to know as much as I can about living in Uzumlu. I did go there once a few years ago, but it was only for a few hours, so I didn't get to see it properly. I vaguely remember a small village street in the centre, and the surrounding countryside which was so pretty.

I seem to remember it was about a 20 minute drive to Calis: is that right?  

Some of the other things I'd like to know.........it's probably best I list them if that's not too cheeky!

Village shops - what's there?

Restauarants/Bars - good/average?

Locals - friendly?

Brits - any get togethers for ex-pats?

Local doctor/hospital - good/OK?

Taxis - I do drive, but does Uzumlu have a taxi service, too?

Dolmus - last one/winter etc?

Weather in winter?

Burglary/Crime - High/Low? Police, good/bad?

House Protection Burglary - recommendation for good security systems?

Cost of Living - High/Average for Turkey?

TV/Internet Connections - OK?

Blackouts - frequent/seldom?

Sorry if this sounds like a questionnaire! :-\ Which it is I suppose! But I'd like as much info as possible, and if any of you kind people could assist I would be really grateful.

Many thanks in advance!

Louisa :)

Offline scooby doo

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
The hills have eyes spring to mind :D:D ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:16:58 AM »
What does that mean? This is quite obviously someone considering Uzumlu as a place to become part of - or not.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 11:26:27 AM »
Louisa   - I don't live there year round (yet), but spend several weeks a year there, and am happy to answer what I can.  There are others far more qualified to answer most of these questions, so hope they will also contribute.  My one word answer would probably be :  wonderful !!
Shops :  everything you need, plus a wonderful Friday market.  Places to get fresh fruit / veg / bakery / butchers etc.  
Restaurants ;  yes - some lovely restaurants  :)   Not a 'bar' sort of place but the Winehouse and the Grape garden can get pretty busy some nights (especially if some of my fellow forum members are there for either quiz nights or dart tornaments !!!)
Locals  - are absolutely wonderful.  Initially you have to win their trust and respect, but once you make the effort - you will reap the rewards.  We have made some very special turkish friends.
Plenty of get togethers....watch the forum for event announcments !
Also lots of opportunity to get involved with local charity / fund raising events
Dolmus - excellent service - others will know more detail
Taxi - not to my knowledge, but i have been hoping that someone would see this slot in the market and do something about it !!!
Winter weather :  can get very cold - if you are thinking about buying a property, make sure it has adequate heating, not just a summer residence !  fires are fab, but cold ceramic tiles take an age to warm unless you have underfloor heating  (bliss !).  Burglary / Crime - i will leave for others, as I know it happens, but not sure how regular.  I think it is a case of be aware and make sure you do everything you can to minimise the risk, as you would any where else.
Electricity cuts are common in the summer - when the village reaches high occupancy and everyone's air conditioning is on !  have had 2 -3 days on end with no elecricity, but not sure this is as common now that they have tried to improve the supply.     Any way, I can't think of a nicer place to live, and just wish we would be out there more often.  It sounds like you have a tough decision to make   - good luck !!!

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 16:47:49 PM »
Hi Louisa, Uzumlu is a great little village where we decided was the best place to live full time after looking around various places in Turkey. In further answer to Pookies response, here is our look on our own Uzumlu experience so far- we have a number of resturants in excess of 9 different places to eat all have some sort of bar facility as well as serving a normal range of Turkish dishes Pide, casserole, kebab dishes etc they also do take away service, some are better than others depends on what you like, local ex pats mainly choose from about 3-5 of these for various events and some have theme nights; BBQ, Indian, Chinese, Quiz night, Darts Night, Uzumlu Ladies Group (WI), Uzumlu Community Watch, Turkish Cooking lessons, Language lessons,along with special traditional events Valentines night, Christmas, Burns Night to name a few. These restuarants are also open all year round as a general rule. As also stated we have a small market on a Friday where fruit veg fresh fish, spices sweets nuts and clothes are sold and various shops selling the usual corner shop goods as well. We soon will have another petrol station opening up to add to the other one already in situ. Re Dolmus there is a regular timetabled service available to Fethiye. We have a local clinic which has a doctors surgery as well and a chemist shop, bakers, phone shop couple of barbers, builders yard as well. The electric situation is a lot better now as they have invested in fitting new posts and regulators and apart from the rare odd day couple of hours it has been pretty stable, the longest power cut we have personally had in the past 2 years was a 10 hour stint but was the fault of a car crashing into the electric post rather than over useage/weather issue. Telephone and ADSL is pretty easily available although we do experience various problems with internet speed despite new fibre optic cabling this we believe is mainly down to the staff service knowledge rather than just equipment but we get personally just over a 5GB feed service here, but as stated there are good and bad days with it still. Locals are great and if you make an effort you are rewarded with friendly hospitality, food, advice etc. On the crime side it has improved drastically compared to previous years as mentioned we have the Uzumlu Community Watch up and running who liase with the local jandarma on behalf of ex pats and hold meetings with residents to discuss crime issues and run a e mail advice/look out service, the last reported burglary was in October. Like everywhere a common sense approach and installation of security deterrents is advices bars/alarm lighting further advice can be got on this from uzumlucw@gmail.com. Cost of living is not as cheap as it used to be obviously linked to bank interest coming down making budgets more restricted, currently around the 8% mark (a lot better still than UK) it has made things less economical and things like fuel red meat has increased considerably in the past few years and obviously if you want to stay here you need to think about resident permits and these are not as cheap for us Brits, other items are very cheap in comparison chicken meat, fruit and veg (seasonal linked), council tax are cheaper compared to UK. Re TV you can get Astra on a 1.5 dish here fine as well as a host of other service no problem, see Sat section on CBF for more info. Finally weather it is roughly 3-5c colder in Uzumlu than Fethiye mainly of a evening nightime you notice it more, during the day it is not to bad in winter and we only light a fire in the evening in winter mid/end Oct to end of March mid April, in the summer evenings you certainly don't need a fire you need a fan/ aircon to cool down instead:D. All in I can highly recommend Uzumlu as a place to stay/live rent but don't tell everyone we like it being a small village as well!! ;)

Offline Rosy

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 17:54:01 PM »
Agree with two previous comments,I was going to write up my thoughts of life in Uzumlu, but everything I could say has already been put more elegantly than I could do. Only thing to add is come to the village visit any restaurant speak to staff,, locals and ex pats and you will be eager to move here too. Looking forwarf to welcoming you our part of paradise. Good house hunting. :)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 18:15:06 PM »
I would recommend renting for a few months first to see how you like it.....!  but sssh, don't tell everyone how wonderful it is !!!  ;):D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 18:47:41 PM »
It's like living in a vacuum, only quieter  ;)

Offline neylan

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 20:41:38 PM »
Hi Louisa,
I also suggest you that come on and visit us to have chance to see our paradise in person...especially on our Morel Mushroom Festival in April, 8-9-10th...we have many traditional village houses which will be prepared as the pension soon...
Please e-mail me if you need any further details about it.
And always welcome if you also need any guide assistance...
Hope to see & meet you soon, good luck for your new life wherever you decide...
Best wishes

Offline louisa

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »
Thank you so much for all your replies - you've all been so helpful - I do apologise for not replying sooner.

Scooby Doo:  For a moment I thought you were about to write the lyrics to the The Sound Of Music!:D  Do you mean people are nosy in Uzumlu?  I'm not sure what you meant, but I don't mind curtain-twitchers.  I think they help protect in a way, you know, keeping an eye on the place.

Pookie:  Thank you for all that info you gave me, I'm starting to get a picture of what life is like in Uzumlu, I think. And it's really nice of you to give a good honest picture of the place; pointing out its good sides and not so good sides.  I don't think anywhere is perfect in the world - you always have to compromise on something - but it sounds with Uzumlu that its certainly got something special. I especially like your tip about staying out there for a few months to see how I like it. That is a really good and practical idea when I think about it. Thank you again for your helpful advice. :)

Corbindallas:  Oh, you've really gone into detail, I really appreciate that!  Can I ask you which other places you looked at before choosing Uzumlu, and what made you decide on Uzumlu itself? What swung it for you?

The way you've described everything it does sound really lovely. It definitely sounds like the village has all the shops you'd need, though I suppose you'd drive into Fethiye for your big supermarket shop? The Friday market sounds good - is it a smaller version of the Fethiye one? I used to go down to the fish market in Fethiye and I loved it there; as you know, the fish is so fresh. I remember buying prawns which were still moving! And the sea bass was delicious! Is that where the fish comes from when they bring the market up to Uzumlu?  I don't know what the clothes are like in the market, but the ones I saw I wasn't really keen on; I wasn't that keen on many of the clothes in Fethiye either. I think people tend to go to Antalya for their clothes shopping if I remember rightly? But I'd be bringing clothes over from England anyway, so that's not a problem.

It seems like living costs are on a similar level to the UK, and it's swings and roundabouts from what you say: council tax in the UK = Residency Permit? Would that be right?  I have heard that Turkey has got much more costly than it once was, but so has everywhere really. I do remember the wine was very expensive when I was there (the imported wine)  and it was terribly expensive in comparison to what it cost in the UK. I used to drink Yakut when going out to eat, which was OK, but I did miss a really nice full-bodied Shiraz or a crisp Chablis. I think the name of the wine I had in the fish market was called Angora, and that was about the best I found.  Maybe you know of some local vineyards which do nice wines? That would be a definite bonus.  Thank you again for going into so much detail - that's really kind of you!

Rosy:  Thank you for your welcome, and I look forward to meeting up with you too.

Scunner:  I love quietness, but only if I can hear birds singing in the distance and things like that.  I don't actually like hearing silence, if that makes sense? Some places are so quiet you can hear the insides of your eardrums working, and I find that a bit unsettling. But I'd sooner have quietness than noise coming at me from all directions, and if it was terribly quiet I suppose I could just put some music on or something. Does anyone else find it too quiet there, I wonder?

Neylan:  Thank you for your welcome.  I am planning on coming out there in the late Spring, but probably not April.  What goes on at the mushroom festival? Is it for tourists or trade?  I didn't know Uzumlu was famous for mushrooms.  I will email you for a look at your houses, but I'm not really looking for a village house (old one).  Nice as they are, I really want something spacious and light with a nice modern kitchen etc. If you have the type I'm interested in do let me know.

Again, many thanks to everyone for all your replies. :)

Louisa

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf