Author Topic: What Is It Like Living In Uzumlu?  (Read 17248 times)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
What Is It Like Living In Uzumlu?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 12:14:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by louisa

Scunner:  I love quietness, but only if I can hear birds singing in the distance and things like that.  I don't actually like hearing silence, if that makes sense? Some places are so quiet you can hear the insides of your eardrums working, and I find that a bit unsettling. But I'd sooner have quietness than noise coming at me from all directions, and if it was terribly quiet I suppose I could just put some music on or something. Does anyone else find it too quiet there, I wonder?

Lol Louisa  - i wouldn't worry about the quietness !!   It is anything but in the early hours of the morning !!  Its the most wonderful alarm clock on earth - started by the Donkey's, then the cockerels, then the mopeds, then the Imam....!!  And don't forget the drummer at Ramazan, which as ramazan is during August this year will probably start around 3.00 in the morning !!!   Bliss !

If you are around late April/May, send me an email and we can meet up - come back have a coffee and we will show you around our little village.  Don't think you can go too wrong in uzumlu...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 12:46:51 PM »
I am not anti-quiet, far from it!!!

I remember we had a holiday staying at Telmessos in Koca Calis (Telmessos was brilliant, possibly still is!) and it was lovely to have breakfast on the terrace with just the sound of the goat bells from the hill. I also remember have afternoon drinks with friends for recreational purposes and a bee flew into the terrace, buzzed right between us and out the other end. We watched it go by, all of us in silence. My friend summed it up with "You know you're at a quiet place when a bee flying past kills the conversation stone dead".

Happy times indeed  :)

Offline BM06

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 13:06:35 PM »
Louisa, I think its a bit like marmite[?] the people that have made it their home or holiday destination love it, but as for others its not for them, as in any big decision you will have to make your own mind up at the end of the day, obviously the people that have chosen to live or buy a holiday home there are going to be at little bit bias, as I said its a big decision, so take your time and enjoy the experience,it has been suggested rent for a few months,that would be my advice 100%, holidaying and living are a totally different ball game, good luck in you adventure, and take your time. :)

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 13:36:51 PM »
Hi Louisa, we looked at Side, Didem, Koycegiz, Mamaris, Dalaman, Ovacik, Calis and Kas before deciding Uzumlu was best for us, the reason why Uzumlu won hands down compared to the rest is our love of the open countryside, Uzumlu gives you a real village feeling and is only 19 minutes away from main Fethiye so you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Like you say we do our main shopping at the big fruit & veg markets and supermarkets in Fethiye and the rest in the village. Obviously we all like different things so won't list pro's and cons for the places we did go as it may be the opposite attraction for you and others, but can only reinforce the advice given about renting as we did exactly that in Uzumlu and when we were sure we had chosen the right place for us all as a family, we got a off plan built last year. If you want any further info or to meet up and discuss things when over please feel free to contact us. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 13:37:41 PM by corbindallas »

Offline hoops man

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 14:21:20 PM »
Hello louisa
iv sent you an e mail regarding uzumlu.Hope its of interest to you.good luck.regarding villas i can help you there too i think....good lucky anyway.

Offline Honey Bee

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 18:07:05 PM »
Hi Louisa,

We have just returned from a long weekend (Yes you can do it) 4 days up in the hills.

We had a villa built via a local builder (Halil) and took delivery May 2010. We love the village, the people and the way of life. Villa is great and only 20mins from the sea (down hill)!

We have had many friends stay last year and some like the location and some would like a bit more night life but it`s what we wanted. We have been to Kalkan, Icmeler, Side, Izmir, Bodrum but we fell in love with Uzumlu and surrounding area. It`s great.

Hope this helps.

See you up there!!!!!! ;)

Offline Der Reppans

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 13:06:08 PM »
I am Jan from Holland, interested to buy maybe in Uzumlu. Interested to read these comments. Thanks.

Offline peecee

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 08:31:06 AM »
CBF certainly goes a long way:D

Offline poppy50

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 11:06:50 AM »
Hi  
Uzumlu is a beautiful place but a bit too quiet for me.  I bought my property with a lady from Holland.  Will send you the details of her whereabouts.

Offline suehugh

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 18:17:28 PM »
The sound of silence
On our last holiday, we visited Uzumlu on two seperate days. Om both days, we whiled away the afternoon outside the winehouse with the intention of watching the world go by. Nothing went by !
On walking around the village, we saw only three people (two twice)
If you want peace and tranquility, this is the place.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf