Author Topic: Moving to Turkey  (Read 6961 times)

Offline mike77777777

Moving to Turkey
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:13:23 AM »
We are planning to move to Calis for 12 months to see if we fancy it on a permenant basis. Can anyone give me their opinions of doing this ..the pro's and the con's. Are there any things everyone always forgets to think about or do. We have an apartment and have had a couple of holidays there. The way of life is very tempting. I suspect this question has been asked many times before. I guess most people on the forum are positive otherwise they wouldn't be on the forum. It would be interesting to find out why others may have left or fallen out with the idea if you know.

Thanks Mike

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Moving to Turkey
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:57:21 AM »
Everything really boils down to being able to afford to live in the country. we lived in Turkey for nearly 4 years and the main reasons we came back were:

My wife missed the family and the grandchildren.

Healthcare in Turkey is good but it is not free. So you have to be prepared to having to pay for it. I am a diabetic and everything in the UK is free. By the time we left Turkey I was paying out over £150 a month on medicines and medical care. Not a great deal but still had to be found. The latest drugs are available in Turkey but can be expensive.

I did not like the rip off culture that has developed. It got to the stage where we felt that some Turks thought we were stupid and there to be ripped off. The price that some tradesmen quoted seemed cheap in comparison to the UK and was probably four times what a Turk would pay. You need to get away from comparing the price to the UK as you are not in the Uk.

I felt the country was a little authoritarian and what the police said was final. We somehow got a speeding fine when we were not in the country and no one had use or access to our car. Went to the police and basically I was told tough luck you have to pay it. Had a couple of other instances wher I felt I was guilty in the eyes of the Turks but i had not done anything out of the way.

Remember that it is a tourist area and when winter comes the area takes on a totally different appeal. Calis is not too bad but other places turn into a ghost town. We lived in Ovacik and on 31st October I could eat all the world cuisines and on 1st November none were available as Hisaronu just closed down.

What I have said above is the negative points and my opinion.

For me the good points were;

The cost of living is cheaper than the UK not a great deal of difference overall. It is swings and roundabouts some things are cheaper in Turkey and some are more expensive. You pay less council taxes £100 a year in Turkey to £1200 in the UK.

The weather is much better and I found it healthier.

The people are great. They are so helpful and friendly. Unfortunately some ruin it by trying their rip off tactics.They always make me laugh. I always found I laughed a lot more in Turkey than I do in the UK.

The Fethiye coast is stunning and I could never tire of it.

I do not know whether it is a positive or a bad point but Turkish driving is something else. They are crazy when they get behind a wheel. Because they all drive so badly they do not get upset with each other.

If i could persuade my wife I would go back tomorrow.

Offline mike77777777

Moving to Turkey
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:15:43 PM »
Thanks for reply..yes I've seen the driving..it reminds me of Dogems at the fair.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Moving to Turkey
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 13:47:09 PM »
Were 4 months in and loving it. I think if you're able to do it go for it. Nothing ventured and all that. I spent years wondering if it would be as lovely as it is on holiday and at the moment I would say its better than I could have imagined.

Cant speak for all areas but here in Calis there really is so much to do and to get involved in, something to suit most tastes,less in the summer than in the winter as people seem to have visitors and other things to do, and of course its too hot for things such as walking groups, keep fit etc (a few intrepid people keep going!)

Its not perfect, but nowhere is perfect. I think its what you make of it and whether you're prepared to overlook some things that are just done differently.
Ive spoken to very few people since being here who aren't happy, but they are definitely the minority.
We dont drive,so havent had any incidents like Ovacikpeedoff. Im not sure Id be brave enough anyway!

If theres any specifics that you need advice about Im happy to help if I can.

Offline scareylady

• Yes, she is...
Moving to Turkey
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 14:15:25 PM »
We loved the area (We lived in Calis) the local people, the weather and the food.  The laid back lifestyle is great once you get used to it an stop getting frustrated at "Turkey Time".  

We ran a business and my advice would be simple - Never try to run a business in Turkey if you are a foreigner ... I know there a a very few exceptions but the successes are sooo rare its just not worth it!!!  Don't invest in any "get rich quick" idea's and really steer clear of the "Ex Pat gossip.

I would go back in a heart beat if I won the lottery, but while we have to earn a living the UK has us for sure.

Agree totally with the summer/winter split but personally we preferred winter, it felt like home.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore x

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Moving to Turkey
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 14:20:20 PM »
I'm in exactly the same position as the op on this topic. Came home to the UK this morning, sat at my home office desk at 9am & just stopped for lunch, my day so far has been taken up by phone calls to estate agents, solicitors, work related bits & all state the same, I'm off for 6-9 months asap, see you next summer when it's too hot for me in July & August.

PS: Am looking for a long term winter let, seperate topic on here if you can help, thanks.

Offline busybee

Moving to Turkey
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 19:48:14 PM »
We have now been in Calis for 6yrs and have no regrets yet.  As regards to the medical costs you can take out insurance or have a contngency fund that you never touch.

Even when money is tight the wonderful scenery and sun is free. Most folk are friendly in Calis and you can do everything from Tai Chi to bowls.  There are also charities you can get involved with or do your own thing.

Yes the red tape is laborious and as regards to having work done always go by recomendation and I still always get 3 quotes.

The markets are wonderful, fruit veg, chicken, cheese yogurt etc and it tastes so much better here.

You are wise to give it 12mths but would seriously think about leaving your dog at home rather than subject him/her to 6mths quarantine if you change your mind.

Renting is the best option to start with as you can decide if you like an area and you still have your money in the bank earning interest.

This forum is a wonderful source of info and you also get an oversight of living the Turkish lifstyle

Offline steveb1

Moving to Turkey
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 20:35:14 PM »
Ovacikpeedoff
 I am a diabetic and we are are looking at moveing over what drugs and tests are expensive
i am on meterformine etc

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Moving to Turkey
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 23:50:41 PM »
It depends what drugs you take. If it is just metformin that is cheap. It is the other newer drugs that I take cost the money. Also I was perscribed one drug by a Turkish doctor that had been withdrawn in America and the UK. As part of my medicines I had to take a cholestrol control drug and that was £20 a month. A series of blood tests at the Esnaf cost me about £100 every 2 months. The reason why drugs were getting expensive was that they are actually priced in US dollars. So if the TL is doing badly the drugs became more expensive. I also had to buy eye drops and they were also £20 a month.Blood test strips were about £20 for 50 strips. If you are on just metformin  £8 per month.

Some of the drugs I could not get in Turkey so I had to combine different drugs. The chemist was very helpful in me getting the active ingedients in the drugs that I was taking in the UK.

Turkish doctors are very keen to put you on drugs. When we were on holiday i had a problem that I was put on drugs immediately. When i returned to the UK my gp said that the actions of the Turkish doctor were drastic and took me off the drug and it should have been only considered as a last resort.The one thing about the UK gp system is I see the same person each time I have any check ups, this may not be the case in Turkey. Responsibility for making sure that you do the right things like regular check ups, eye screening and all the other things that a diabetic should do are the diabetics responsibility. In the UK I am spoilt I get appointments made for me and reminders are sent to have my eyes photographed.

Sorry I made a mistake above and I meant to put a £100 a month as the blood tests and doctors visit was every 2 months.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 00:08:47 AM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Offline posleeds

Moving to Turkey
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »
There are cheaper alternatives - use the Devlet (state) hospital's - where costs are minimal for seeing Doctors & having tests. 15.50TL (approx £6.00) to see a Doctor, with blood tests,scans, x-rays, even operations at very reasonable rates.  You just book in & pay to see the Doctor then pay as you go for any tests or treatment required.
I have always had continuity - seeing the same Doctor's and they have all spoken English...unfortunately most of the other staff do not.
The waiting area's are busy, but then they are in the UK.  Just be prepared for a consultation like you have never had before...patient confidentiality goes out of the window, with knocks on the door & Joe Public walking in.  But if you are prepared to accept this it really is a brilliant service.
I worked in the NHS for 25 years before moving to Turkey....some lessons could be learnt!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf