Author Topic: Walk from Uzumlu top Cadianda  (Read 2849 times)

Offline DavidNicholson

Walk from Uzumlu top Cadianda
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:54:23 AM »
I have read that Cadianda is well worth a visit, and was wondering if anyone can help with directions from Uzumlu.

We have caught the dolmus to Uzumlu before, and I seem to remember various accounts of getting up to Cadianda, by car or scooter.

We would want to walk, and whilst I imagine you can walk up the road, I was wondering if there was a "way-marked" walk, and if so where it starts.  

Any helpful suggestions or information would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
Hi David , there is a way marked route up to Cadianda ,if you walk up past the Winehouse you will see red and white marks painted on trees ,post etc  :)first it takes you to Hectors tomb,where there is a plato so you can have a rest  :)then upwards and onwards to Cadianda  :).Make sure you take a camera the views from up there are terrific :) .Enjoy!!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:28:50 AM by calvin 1949 »

Offline DavidNicholson

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »
Brilliant - thanks very much, that is exactly what I needed to know.

Just starting off in the right direction is pretty important, so now we can.

We are quite used to following the red and white way-marks, but I did not know if they existed for this particular walk.

We have done Kaya to Olu Deniz (Both ways), Kaya to Fethiye, Ovacik to Fethiye, and the first 10 miles of the Lycian Way (Montana Pines to Faralya), so we wanted to get another one done and fancied Uzumlu to Cadianda.

Cheers.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
We walked the main road way but it was a long hard slog! Would take the shorter path the next time we do it.

Offline BM06

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »
Must be a long walk if plato is still up there:D:D ;) I hope you mean a plateau Calvin[?] ;)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »
Enjoy it David.   It is a lovely walk with amazing views - and of course you can stop off at the winehouse on the way down for refreshment  ;):D

Offline phil1839

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 13:42:47 PM »
David, Unfortunately some of the markings have now been obliterated by digging works. If you walk from the Winehouse up hill away from the village it takes you passed the old Mosque, carry on up the hill, you will see some red and white marks on the electric pylons. Eventually the road stops and you will see a new house built on a hill facing you. Take the left hand fork which is a rough path for about 300 metres you will see on your right hand side some new digging work, this is where the old path used to be and the marks have disappeared, turn right here, you will know if you have missed this path because you will come to a wooden chalet on your right which is about 20 metres passed the path you should take. After turning right you will eventually come to a small concrete water powerhouse the path is marked after this. As Calvin says you will come to a small plateau with a couple of tombs, carry on through the plateau and up by the side of the dried river bed and you will come to the road. Turn right and walk up the road and you will enventually come to Cadianda. It is 8 lira each to get in and see the ruins. The walk from Uzumlu to Cadianda should take about an hour and a quarter at a reasonable pace. Phil

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 13:44:32 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BM06

Must be a long walk if plato is still up there:D:D ;) I hope you mean a plateau Calvin[?] ;)

Spelin wos never mi best subbgekt!!!:D:P ;)

Offline DavidNicholson

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 14:37:05 PM »
That's excellent information.

Thanks Calvin & Phil.

Offline DavidNicholson

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 13:05:29 PM »
Just to report back on this......
We had intended to do this walk in July, but common sense prevailed as it was just too hot.  We have just returned from 2 weeks in Ovacik, and did do the walk on this visit.
Particular thanks to Phil - without your detailed instructions we would probably have missed the path where the digging works have been done.
To anyone considering this we can recommend it a a great walk.
We loved it - about 80 minutes to walk up to Cadianda - about another 80 minutes to explore the site, and about 70 minutes to walk back down - so the best part of 4 hours in total.
We had caught the dolmus from Fethiye, so we finished off with a meal at the Winehouse which was excellent.
All in all, a superb day out.  Give it a try.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf