Author Topic: Burglary Reported  (Read 9291 times)

Offline goatman

Burglary Reported
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »
Would it be possible to get everyone together again with the mayor and the jandarma of this village
to find out how to try and stop these burglaries ,if we stick together as a community
it could make the people think before doing the crime
i remember from the last meeting the burglaries stopped for a while at least
also what happened with the CCTV cameras around the village ?
would the jandarma and mayor be doing more if the turkish community were having the same problem ?

Offline lanky

Burglary Reported
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 07:11:18 AM »
It would be an idea to hold another meeting, it is some time since the last one, but would have to involve the Jandarma,s. As for sticking together, i feel it would be difficult, as we all seem to have differant views. For instance, many burglaries are carried out while te owners are in a village restaurant, this has been proven, so i will not use any in the village untill i feel it is safe to do so. Were we all to do the same, it would not be long before the owners of these resdtaurants added their voice to ours, and just maybe, the situation would improve. Sadly i cannot see this happening, so i shall either eat out in Fethiye or stay in.

Offline Paul Brock

Burglary Reported
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 08:43:39 AM »
There have been several burglaries of Turkish properties. Two that I know of are a villa near to the first petrol station as you enter Uzumlu (the one that never opens)which was robbed only a couple of days after the owners moved in and it was on the same day as a break in to a Brits property.The Turkish owner there quickly put in an alarm and metal grills. Also more recently a market was broken into.This is not only an expat problem.

Ismail, at Feseta, recently put in metal security as he was concerned about this situation - would he have been doing this if this was only an expat problem??

The target for thieves everywhere are the places that are easy to access with a likelyhood of easily transportable valuable goods - any policeman - British or Turkish will confirm this. I am not aware of any propery being burgled that has got a decent security system so surely there is no excuse for owners not to not take reasonable precautions - this should be the first step.

Offline lanky

Burglary Reported
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »
I would call 2 dogs and security grills on all windows and doors reasonabl;e precautions. Also i dont think i have ever said it is an expat only problem, though i suspect it would account for over 90% of burglaries. What i am saying, is that i am convinced this is a local problem and it would be good if the locals helped us. I come from a small community and i am sure that someone knows something, so untill that someone comes forward i would urge people to spend their money elsewhere.

Offline Paul Brock

Burglary Reported
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 12:29:07 PM »
If one of the local markets has been broken into and Feseta have put in metalwork for security I do not think it is common knowlege among the locals who the perpetrators are.

Of course it is a personal decision if you want to boycott all local traders/restaurants but if there were robberies in your small community in UK would you consider avoiding all the shops in your village?? I think if you did you would be called a Newbie and just drive a wedge between the communities.

As regards security, dogs are always a questionable deterrent. Most of those in Uzumlu are pets, not guard dogs and the only danger to an intruder is that they will be licked to death. Metal bars will make a burglar think twice because it will take longer to gain access and potentially make a noise if they try to remove them. Most however are fitted after the build so are not fixed into concrete so can be removed by a couple of methods fairly easily.

A good burglar alarm does work as only a very determined and professional thief will take one of these on. We have several retired policeman here in Uzumlu and I am sure that they would concur with this if any of them would like to post their thoughts on this thread.

I know of 2 people whose alarms have been tripped accidentally and when they got home found several jandarma waiting for them.

Offline lanky

Burglary Reported
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 13:26:00 PM »
We did not have an influx of apparently well off people move into my village, so i suppose our honesty was not really tested, but, as with most small communities, everyone new who was doing what etc. I am sure the same applies here, but no one is coming forward with any info. I have enjoyed most of my 5 years here, but i did not come here to live in a fortress, which is what it,s getting like now. One of my nearest neighbours is a retired policeman. He does not have a burglaralarm, but will not eat in the village, and does not stay out late. Statistics show we have a problem in the village, and i dont think the answer is to turn our houses into fortresses. Surely there must be a way to change what is happening here.

Offline Paul Brock

Burglary Reported
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 19:18:11 PM »
Been doing some checking and it appears that there have been at least 2 shops and 3 Turkish houses robbed recently - one on the same night as Lanky's neighbour. Also been told that several shops have now installed CCTV because of the problem.

Robberies happen in all areas and are more common in places like Calis and Hisaronu but they do not post on the forum as we do in Uzumlu. Here we use the forum more like a local newspaper so post everything that is happening.

Never suggested that we turn our houses into fortresses but that it is prudent to take reasonable precautions. As I said in an earlier post - to the best of my knowledge no property with a working alarm has been broken into.

Offline goatman

Burglary Reported
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
i thought the point of a forum was for information ,that is for good,bad ,ugly and funny ,any information that is happening in the local area (like a news paper)or is it for something else ??
also as for turkish being robbed (2 shops and 3 houses )that is the minority ,and have they had laptops ,tv's,cameras ,ds lights,wii's,ipads,phones,passports,even bottles of drink ,medals,jewery,etc etc etc etc
so have the turkish had theses stolen?? i really dont think the turkish have alot of these items in their houses do you??
i wonder if the three turkish houses that were robbed were villagers or outsiders that had moved here from else where ??
lets stop arguing and lets think of something that can be done to help combat this very serious problem
over a 1000 people have read this thread ,apart from getting a house alarm, has anyone got any other ideas???

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Burglary Reported
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 13:34:34 PM »
it doesnt matter what materialisic values you have on your own pocessions, the fact is the Turkish people have been robbed and if the truth be known probably meant more to them than your laptop or i pad.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Burglary Reported
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 13:54:07 PM »
I was just going to say exactly the same thing Tinx. It is very upsetting and very scary if someone has even been in your house or attempted to break into your house. We nearly didnt make our move here permanent after it happened to us.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf