Author Topic: The Job Scene  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Kaytee

The Job Scene
« on: March 15, 2005, 13:11:43 PM »
Hello there. This is my 1st post here. I am Steve B's partner in crime (known as "American chick" in his last post). We're both hoping to relocate to Turkey in the near future. I will, of course, have to bite the bullet and get my UK Citizenship sorted for visa purposes. My question is this: I realise that there are many jobs come peak season but are there many available year round? Also, what is the unemployment rate like and is it feasible that I will be able to find a decent job once we move?
I currently work in sales for a forwarding company (international transportation) and have been in this trade for over 5 years now. I am open to different types of work (ie. the holiday business, property sales, maybe teaching english???, etc). I'd love to hear some advice and stories about how the rest of you got on with various careers in the area.
I have done a search on the topic and found bits and pieces regarding visas and the like but was hoping for a bit more story telling.
Thanks and I look forward to reading your responses!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
The Job Scene
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 14:58:56 PM »
You really do need to do some more research!

The situation regarding jobs out here is quite simple.

To get a job you need a Work Permit! To get a Work Permit you need a job!

If you're caught working without a permit you've got a good chance of a couple of nights as a guest of the Polis / Jandarma at their 7 Star establishment, a free ride to Dalaman and one-way ticket home!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 15:01:42 PM by KKOB »

Offline Kaytee

The Job Scene
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 16:59:33 PM »
Yes, I have got A LOT of research to do.

Really? I would need a work permit even as a UK Citizen?
Well, I would need to know what type of work is available before applying for either. I'd still like to hear stories on how people who have settled there have got on, maintaining an income.

Offline Dippey

The Job Scene
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 17:10:01 PM »
Hi Kaytee,

First find someone to give you job and will wait for you to get a work permit, which can take up 8-12 weeks, then follow these instructions and fly back to London to Turkish Consulate for:-

INFORMATION ON WORK VISA REQUIREMENTS
To apply for this type of visa, please submit the following documents to this Consulate General in person:
- Passport with a minimum validity of one year & a copy of passport (only the page with the photograph),
- Visa application form to be filled in capital letters. Application form can also be downloaded from the Consulate General's website. Please make sure that you have written a telephone number on the form to reach you when needed.
- A photograph,
- A proof of a job offer normally in the form of a letter from the prospective employer,
- Work visa fee is 75 GBP in cash or postal order. The original receipt will be given to you so that your employer can reimburse the amount.
Applications should be made to this Consulate General at least eight weeks prior to the intended date of departure.
Work visa applications are admitted from 09.00 to 12:30 noon from Monday to Friday except bank holidays and Turkish holidays.

Then they do all the checks etc etc etc and hopefully you will be accepted, but as KKOB says can't work until you get a work permit, so have to get job offer first.

Then the work permit can only be for that employer for one year, then you renew again for three years, after that you can change employer and get 5 year permit, by then you could of got Turkey citizenship (after 5 years of being a resident, but you must be able to hold a conversation in Turkish).

see link for more info.http://www.turkconsulate-london.com/en/visa.htm

Dippey

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
The Job Scene
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 19:55:49 PM »
Now do you see how much fun it can be ? LOL

Offline Nige and Lynn

The Job Scene
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 23:25:31 PM »
According to John Howell's book "Buying a Property in Turkey", non-Turkish citizens are not allowed to work as:
itinerant salesmen, musicians, photographers, barbers, typesetters, clothing & shoe manufacturers, stockbrokers, sellers of state monopoly products, interpreters, tourist guides, transport workers, in construction iron and wood industry, working on water heating & lighting installations, loading & unloading sites, driver, day labourer, watchman, janitor, waiter, household help, singer, entertainer, vet, and most jobs in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, nursing, law or work as a notary public.!!

Work permits & work visas are very difficult to get as the employer has to give good reason why he is employing a foreigner and not a Turkish citizen. Starting your own business is also difficult as (amongst other things) you have to prove that your investment will provide employment for Turkish nationals and not have any adverse effect on local Turkish run companies.

You might be ok with teaching English Kaytee, as long as you have the qualifications.

If only they were in EU it would be so much easier to work there!

Offline JG2004

The Job Scene
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 08:30:08 AM »
Hi there,
I am in the process of applying for a work permit and as the others have said it is tough.  The paper work has to be spot on and everything has the same information on it.  I applied about 11 weeks ago.  There do seem to be some jobs for English speaking people, but your employer will have to state why they have chosen you over a Turkish person.  I am applying for a work permit to be an English teacher in a private school.  If you have any other questions I can help you with please feel free.:D
Vickie

Offline Dippey

The Job Scene
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 08:56:19 AM »
Vicky, I do hope your english gramma improves b4 u start teaching it:-(LOL)

""and everything has the same information on it.""
""There do seem to be some""

I can talk!!not.:D:D:D:P.

Dipps

« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 08:57:10 AM by Dippey »

Offline JG2004

The Job Scene
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 09:50:59 AM »
Lol Dippy!
I must admit to being lazy when I type on the internet :-\
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 09:51:25 AM by JG2004 »

Offline Kaytee

The Job Scene
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 12:34:56 PM »
Thank you so much for input! I'm now hunting around to find local TEFL courses.
Teaching English would be great.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf