Author Topic: Bus Crashes onto Olu Deniz Beach  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Bus Crashes onto Olu Deniz Beach
« on: May 09, 2012, 16:55:21 PM »
News via Facebook tells a bus failing to stop and eventually doing so on the busy beach. No news on casualties/injuries quite yet.

Turkish only (but with video) - http://www.sabah.com.tr/Yasam/2012/05/09/ogrenci-otobusu-sarampole-uctu

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 17:15:57 PM »
Unfortunately this is not the first time this has happened lets hope everyone is ok last time there were people killed on the beach.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 20:04:13 PM by grahamturner09 »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 17:20:01 PM »
Yes indeed Graham - in 2001. Looking at the video I get the feeling there are plenty of minor injuries of people who were probably on the bus rather than serious injuries or deaths. Let's hope so.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 17:39:19 PM »
I can't belive the last instance was 11 years ago - just seems like yesterday.

Offline Donna2202

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 18:16:38 PM »
It was a midi bus of Turkish university students, thankfully no serious injuries on or off the bus. The brakes failed coming down the hill. Very lucky as this could have been so much worse.

Offline ceni

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 16:04:07 PM »
We moved over to Turkey in 2004 and I'm almost sure the same thing happened either late that season or in 2005 season. Can't remember if it was a coach or a dolmus but apparently the brakes failed as they got too hot coming down the hill.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 16:08:22 PM »
Yes, because they slow themselves going downhill using the brakes rather than the gears...

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 20:20:02 PM »
Yep, they don't get taught to use the gears for deceleration but, the same applies in the UK these days. The majority of driving instructors insist on their pupils using only the brakes for stopping and then "block-changing" down to first gear.

Offline screamlead

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 06:18:17 AM »
Stupid really as when i took my test many moons ago i was warned never to block change or instant fail! I wonder how much instruction these 'commercial' drivers actually have to do? Seeing as we are not allowed to drive said vehicles it does make me laugh at some of these idiots who cant drive up and down hills using gears instead of thinking a brake pad will stop them, how many times have you sat in traffic at the bottom of the hill coming  back to Fethiye to see smoke wafting out of vehicles and a rotton stench of burning brake pads and discs?

Offline ovaciksarah

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 22:19:02 PM »
sorry KKOB but what you say is rubbish.  Driving instructors have to be better than police instructors so they of course use geasrs to slow their vehicle, it,s common sense, and people would instantly fail if they just used their brakes.  Remember the exam includes, all types pof terrain, speeds, hills, etc and , I,m sorry to say most people even if they passed thir driving test, even 10 years ago, would now fail

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf