Author Topic: Problems in Uzumlu.  (Read 3207 times)

Offline C-E

Problems in Uzumlu.
« on: June 26, 2012, 13:43:01 PM »
To put people in the picture of how Turkish people behave.

Let’s start at the beginning in May 2009 when we got the field.

Our builder: Mustafa from Decor Emlak and his sales manager Sinasi helped us locate a plot of grassing land for our 2 horses in May 2009.  Sinasi worked hard on this for us and found a plot on the Cadianda road at the side of the cemetery below the Uzumlu Bungalows.

At the time we understood that the plot was owned by a well respected, honourable elder of our village.  This person agreed we could have full use of the total plot. We advised that we were looking for use of the land for an initial period of 5 years.  This was acceptable to all concerned.

We agreed to pay 200tl each year for the land, keep it clean and we were allowed to put up a field shelter and fencing.  All paid for by us.
We sat at a meeting with this man and his wife, paid the money and shook hands.

Then in the November of 2009, this man came to our bungalow and spoke to us and our neighbour  Selahttin. He was demanding that we pay a further 200tl for the next year.  We tried to understand why as we had already paid up to April 2010.  We were told that Turkish rentals are from the start of the year to the end of the year. So not to upset this elder, we paid from 01st Jan to 31st Dec 2010.

This elder had 3 payments of 200Tl.  The next payment being due in December 2011 for the next year 2012.  During the late summer of 2011 we were approached by the brother the 1st person.  He told us that the land had changed hands and that the next payment should be given to him. The brother came to us with someone who could translate so we all understood what was being said.
We accepted this offer.  As far as we were concerned the deal was still the same. We shook hands on this. We went to his home in December 2011 and paid for the coming year 200tl.  He advised that the next year rent 2013 would be 250tl.

From  Jan  20012 up to April we did not have any problems at all.
We noticed that several plots of land next to the field that we rent had been put onto Salbindin for sale.
We were also advised by Sean & Kerstin who own Mulberry Homes that other plots were also for sale as well as the land we rent.
The horses did not go on the field until April this year as the land was too wet and muddy.  As one horses has lung problems (COPD) we decided to leave them out all night.

We had no problems for 6 weeks after turning them out into the field.  Then in mid May we started having difficulties.  The first problems we encountered were that the person we last paid wanted us off the field because it would not sell.  The reason he gave for this was because the horses were there.  We negotiated a period of time to move them so that we could find somewhere else for the horses.  We also asked for half of the years rental paid back to us.  This he was reluctant to do.  In the meantime we moved a fence line so that the horses had access to fresh grass.  This was to include an area of the plot that was covered by the rental agreement.  Then all of a sudden the horses were getting out of the fenced area.  Something that had not happened before with the 3 horses that were in the field.   
Each time the horses “escaped” we would receive a call from a home owner near the field or from people who knew us and had our contact numbers.

By mid June this was happening every day. Things went from bad to worse to catastrophic.

The person who we had initially paid came to the field whilst we were tending    to the horses.  He spoke to us in Turkish, we spoke to him in English, neither of us understanding what was being said.  After his visits the horses were getting out more frequently.  This came to head one Sunday.  We went to the Jandarma to try to get something sorted.  As we were going in this person was coming out.  We all went in together to get the problem sorted.  His problem was that we were using his land and he had not been paid.  He wanted us to     move the fence so that we were not using his land.  We agreed to move the fence. This was done the next day.  To be able to sort this out we had to call a friend to translate for us.  During the meeting at the Jandarma this person admitted to pulling the fencing down and letting the horses out. 

It was during the period that this person was pulling the fencing down that our Dark Bay was poisoned.

Initially we thought he had caught a chill as a few days before it had rained that morning. After a few days he was getting worse his temperature was up and he could not eat anything. He even did not want to drink.  We contacted our vet who gave strong antibiotics for 5 days.  This did not even touch him.  He lost weight and looked very very ill.

On the 07th June we called the vet out as he could not stand up properly.
Blood was taken. This was very dark and very thick.  Within a few hours we had the devastating news that he had been poisoned.  8 different drugs were given to stabilize his body and help him.  The poison has closed down his kidneys and liver functions.

We moved him home to care for him 24/7. The drugs worked wonders and so did we.  He wants to live and fought all the way.
He is still not well but is getting better.  We still can’t get him to eat much but with TLC we will.  He was missing his companion the very big chestnut, so we decided to put him back up at the field. 

We worried at the time about the other two and even more when we put the other one back up there.
Sleepless nights ... worry etc.. all takes it out of us.  April to 22nd June hell would have been a far better place to be than here in Uzumlu.

On Friday 22nd again fencing removed and horses let out again.
We spoke to Sue Tekin who’s husband is a well respected Turkish man in our village. Her husband did his best to help.

We also spoke to Julie and Aytan who run Villa Homes.  Aytan spoke to the owner of the land. We were told that he wanted us off at any cost .. horses lives etc etc.
This person, the village elder, came again whilst we were tending the horses at the field.  He was gesticulating that we had not moved the fence far enough.  This was 2 weeks after moving the fence.  We asked him for a plan of the plot so that we could get the fence in the right place.  This he seemed not to understand.  OR did not want to understand.

The talk around the village was that the owner was very angry with us for not paying him for use of the land.  The truth is that the land we were using has several owners.  The elder had given us permission to use all of the land.  He had 3 payments for its use.  None of which was given to any of the other owners.
We have learned that after the elder told his story in the local Cay House and complained about us and our horses.  Someone took it upon themselves to poison one of the horses.

We have been piggy in the middle of all this.  Please anyone who reads this if you intend to have any dealings with the Turkish people make sure you get all the information before you make any agreements.

Thanks to Neil and Pauline who at the last moment gave us permission to use their land.  At the time we were extremely desperate as we feared things would escalate if we did not move the horses straight away.

We know lots of people have stopped to ask us what is wrong over the past few months as we have looked so ill.  We would like to thank everyone for their help and support.

Christine, Eric

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Re: Problems in Uzumlu.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 14:36:40 PM »
Dismayed and saddened to read that innocent animals have got caught up in this.  SOME Turks are dishonourable & money-grabbing, they should be ashamed of themselves.  i hope you manage to find a permanent safe haven for them.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 15:35:53 PM »
What a terrible story! One thing I have to ask though is did you get the original agreement in writing?

I hope your Dark Bay makes a full recovery and that these people get what they deserve somewhere down the line of life ... or beyond!

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 16:04:04 PM »
I agree this is really quite upsetting as the horses are innocent in this matter and the stress and worry this must have caused doesn't bear thinking about. This unfortunately is a reflection of people's mentality and not necessarily because you have been dealing with Turkish people, this could happen anywhere, which in no way makes it right.

Like lots of these kinds of situation which happen all too often if you are agreeing to a deal, in this case renting some land at what would be a nominal amount get it drawn up and signed by the parties involved. I know this is all well and good after the event and you entered and kept your part of this agreement in good faith Caveat Emptor as you never know what wait around the corner.

I do hope that your Dark Bay fully recovers and you find a more suitable landlord in future. All the best

Offline cheers

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 19:58:45 PM »
What a horrendous thing to happen.  I hope your Dark Bay gets better and you find a safe haven for them.  With a bit of luck those involved will get their just desserts!  >:(

Offline C-E

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 20:03:09 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

Our dark bay is slow to recover, but he is trying to eat.

At the moment we have a safe place to keep them. But its a little on the small size at 500m2. We would like anything from 1000m to 2000m2.

As the land owner is an elder of the village (a muktar) who is highly respected by Turks. Or should we say as Vindaloo put it, a money grabber, we did not feel a written contract was needed.  We suppose that this was our biggest mistake.  Had we asked for one we feel sure we would have not been able to get one.  Another thing to consider is that this person is illiterate, so a contract would most likely be worthless.

Thanks for your comments and support.

Offline Pompeylil

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 22:27:32 PM »
I am saddened by your post Christine.  My husband is driving over at the end of July, although the car is almost full I can squeeze in something for you.  We have a Countrywide store very local.  If you can look on line for a 'pick me-up'  that I can purchase for your gelding I am happy to send it in the car.  I know its still a long way off but it may help to boost him up before the winter.
Let me know.  Or if you find something I can telephone the local equestrian centres in our area and see what I can get?
Carol

Offline C-E

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »
Thanks for all the comments.

Dervish is very slow to recover.  Will not eat hard feed (horse nuts) but will eat bran and porrage oats and fruit and veg.

We would like to thank Vanessa & Dogan for their kind offer. We have use of their field. (this was once Cherry & Martin's paddock and the far end of Uzumlu).

The horses will be safe there. 

We hope to move them up next week all being well.

Offline quackers

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 15:10:13 PM »
Vanessa and Doğan are lovely people. Doğan donated blood when my husband needed an operation. (My husband has a rare blood group.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf