Author Topic: New Animal Legislation proposals  (Read 4194 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
New Animal Legislation proposals
« on: October 14, 2012, 01:52:50 AM »
Perihan Agnelli is the founder member of the Fethiye Animal Shelter and is highly regarded amongst top ranking officials in Turkey for her relentless work with animals here.
 This is a copy of an e mail sent to me last week...

Dear Friends,

I want to give you some quick information about the problem that is causing so much aggravation between animal lovers.

It is a total misunderstanding. When the existing Law came into effect in 2004 at that time the Forestry and Environment Ministries were a combined unit as one Ministry. The wild life and street animal management were taken under the wing of the Environment Dept. The Environment Ministry has in every town and city a special department called National Parks and they were responsible for the management of wild life and stray animals in each town.

One and a half years ago the Forestry and Environment Ministry separated and became 2 separate Ministries. The Animal Law has been taken over by the Forest Ministry. The people in the Environment Ministry who we were talking to and educating in the past knew about stray animals and they knew about the N&R program.

With the changes one and a half years ago the Animal Protection Law has been passed on to the Forest Ministry. They haven’t got the knowledge to manage this program.

The General Director of the Forest Ministry Mr. Ahmet Ozyanik who is the second responsible person after the Minister has been influenced and convinced by the Mayor of Kocaeli that there would be an easier way to solve the stray dog problem in the whole of Turkey, by collecting all the dogs into a big forest land in each town and city where they would be fed and taken care of and also re-homed. He suggested that this way they would not be on the streets any more where they would be harmed and killed.

This suggestion sounded interesting and plausible to the General Director. He applied to the Parliament to change the existing Animal Law from Neuter and Return to simply collecting. This change to the Law is supposed to be debated in Parliament in November.

Mr. Ahmet Ozyanik never had the intention to harm the animals. He has been shocked by the reaction of the animal lovers in and outside of Turkey that they assumed the Government wants to cull the stray animals.

10 days ago Mr. Ozyanik contacted me because he had been told that I had been involved with the existing Law and its preparation in 2004.

Mr. Ozyanik asked me to talk with the Mayor of Kocaeli. I spoke with him and he is convinced that stray dogs should be taken care of in a Centre and not allowed to roam around on the streets. I told him he is living in a dream world and that this could never be a solution.

Mr. Ozyanik asked me to come to Ankara to talk with and inform his colleagues about the importance of Neuter and Return. We have set a date for Friday 12 October when I will be spending time from 2pm to discuss this matter.

I will let you know the outcome of this meeting.

Kind Regards,

Perihan

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Re: New Animal Legislation proposals
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 02:00:26 AM »
I want to give you a report of the outcome of my meeting with the Ministry Officials in Ankara on Friday 12 October 2012.

The meeting took place in the conference room of the Forest Ministry, with Mr Ahmet Ozyanik, the General Director of the Forest Ministry, Mr. Nurettin Tas, the General Director of National Parks Ministry,  Mr. Ozcan Yaman,Deputy Director of the Forestry Ministry, Mr. Gokhan Beyhan, Deputy Director, Vets Mr. Mehmet Ali Yasar and Mrs. Hayriye Eren.

The meeting started with a general get-to-know you session after which I asked them what gave them the idea to make themselves unpopular with all animal lovers! The General Director, Mr. Ozyanik said the intentions of what they proposed had been totally misunderstood by people.

He said their plan is to still undertake neutering and returning of street dogs, as the Animal Protection Law requires, but their amendments to this is directed towards certain dogs that cannot be returned to the streets and he went on to suggest that naturally dangerous types of dogs, dogs which have become aggressive through maltreatment, unhealthy dogs, etc. are the dogs they have in mind that should never be returned to the community. 

In his opinion these category of dogs should be re-settled in special places which would be provided by the Forest Ministry, to live in comfort till the end of their days, he said.

With regard to those dogs that could be returned to the street, he outlined an interesting suggestion that people in the community should be encouraged to adopt them in a loose way by taking care of them wherever possible if the dogs are in the neighbourhood. People like shop-keepers, restaurant owners, where dogs will generally go to seek food, and members of the public if they are so inclined. He said this will be a community undertaking to encourage more caring feelings towards stray dogs.

He said these are the changes they want to make to the existing Law. With theses changes he said they will end the roaming of too many dogs on the streets. 

Having outlined their plan, I told Mr. Ozyanik that it was very honourable of him to care for animals in this way but I thought it would be impracticable and very difficult to maintain in the long term.

I then gave my suggestions to an alternative way to reduce the stray dog population on the streets, point by point, which he was in agreement with and instructed the officials to go ahead with implementing my proposals. 

These points included the stopping of the illegal importation of puppies from countries outside Turkey, such as Romania which is responsible for a lot of illegal dog importation into Turkey. 

To stop the illegal breeders in Turkey from operating, and to control licensed breeders.

To stop pet-shops from selling animals such as dogs and cats.

To encourage the voluntary neutering of privately-owned dogs, or by enforcement where necessary.

I insisted that if they can’t incorporate these points into the Law then they will never control the increasing dog population. They agreed!

Other points included the role of the Veterinary service. I spoke of the importance of key-hole surgery for speeding up the recovery process after the neutering of those dogs where they need to be returned to the street.

Not every vet is proficient in this technique and Mr. Ozyanik said he was fascinated by this idea. He said he would like to start a training program for those Vets that will be operating animals in the Municipality shelters, to begin in December this year and continue through the winter months. He asked me if I could help to start this training program by sending trained vets to the training centres, once located, and to this end I would like to ask if anyone could provide me with the names of any vet trained in key-hole surgery who would be willing to help with this training program. 

Further responsibilities of the Veterinary Service was discussed, in particular the setting up of a national register of dog owners. A data-base of all dog owners that are known by local vets should be collated in their communities and compiled into a shared-information service available to interested government departments such as the Agriculture and Forestry Ministries and most importantly the local municipalities who should be aware of the names of private dog owners.

The vets should compulsorily micro-chip every dog that comes to their practice for treatment. The status of any dog that is found roaming the street and is caught and taken to a local shelter would be easily identified by this method and unnecessary operations avoided. I told them that in Fethiye we are collecting only free-roaming dogs on the streets now that there are no longer any stray dogs on the streets but we don’t know if the private dogs are neutered or not.

The vets should also try to influence and encourage private dog owners to have their pets neutered. At present there is no lawful requirement for them to do so. Their free-roaming pet is presently responsible for many unwanted litters, which are then generally abandoned or brought to shelters.

I advised that in many countries there is a dog tax the amount to be paid dependant on whether the animal is neutered or not. I suggested a similar scheme be introduced and tongue-in-cheek said a tax of 50 TL for a neutered dog and 500 TL for one not neutered. A worthwhile scheme but they said this would have to be discussed with the Tax Authority. 

Our discussions turned to the number of dogs people should own. This is important in residential areas where any one dog can be disturbing to the neighbours. Complaints of any noisy or disturbing dog should be directed to the National Parks Dept., which

departments are in most cities, and this dept. should also liaise with local shelters to provide any help and assistance in undertaking their responsibilities.

I suggested the setting up of an office in each of the Ministries that have a responsibility within the Animal Protection Law so that future enquiries, suggestions, complaints, and general assistance can be readily given to the enquirer as opposed to the present system where no-one knows who to contact and is generally sent from office to office where no-one takes any responsibility to deal with the enquiry/complaint etc. They listened to my suggestion and said they would consider it.

The question of euthanasia was brought up by me. I said that this should only be done if the animal is considered by the vet to be so ill or injured to have no chance of recovery or its quality of life thereby diminished. They looked at me in shock and said that they would be more concerned about the reaction of the animal lovers to this proposal!

Mr. Ahmet is very sensitive towards the subject of animals and animal lovers. He doesn’t want to harm any animal or hurt the feelings of animal lovers. He wants to do the best for all of them. As a Ministry they have printed 5 different posters and 3 brochures which all emphasise the love people should have for animals and that people should care for them. The brochures in particular encourage people to adopt an animal.

They showed me the plan of an existing Animal Park which has been set up in Kocaeli in the north of Turkey. He said the animals in there are very well looked after. 

Now they are planning to set up a bigger Animal Park in 170 hectares of Forest Land to give the animals that can’t live on the streets a peaceful life for the rest of their days, he says. I asked how many dogs they were thinking of looking after - 1000, 5000, 10,000? 

In summary, I am not sure if my meeting with them has changed their mind to set up this new Animal Park. They were receptive to many of my suggestions but they are convinced this is the way to look after animals that couldn’t survive on the streets.  In their minds they just want to do the best.

The good outcome of the meeting is that if all the points which I made, and were accepted by them, could be incorporated into the Law then, after time, the dog population will be kept to manageable levels.

Following on from my meeting, a draught of the amendments to the Animal Protection Law will be presented by Mr. Ozyanik to the Commission which is composed of 21 Members of Parliament who sit to discuss and incorporate agreed amendments. The President of this Commission is Mr. Erol Kaya and it was suggested that a prior meeting with him and myself would be advantageous.  I will try to arrange for this meeting in due course.

Perihan Agnelli

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 02:08:46 AM »
At this moment in time these are just proposals but have been well recieved amongst the top ranking officials here and we are very hopeful they will be taken on board.

I would like to say a very big thank you to Perihan not only for the work she has given over the last ten years or so here but for trying to bring the new proposals in to line with animal lovers across the world.

Andy

Offline busybee

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 05:50:26 AM »
Perihan is an amazing person and a true heroine for the animal world.  Lets hope her realistic suggestions come to fruition and can help to change the laws.

Offline grizabella

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 08:50:10 AM »
What an amazing person Perihan is.I am in awe of her knowledge,understanding and ability to convey all the necessary information to these goverment officials in such an unaggresive way.She is s true heroine in my books.I do so hope that her suggestions are implemented in the new laws as they can only help to get the stray animal population in Turkey under control in a humane way.

Offline apollo

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 17:29:43 PM »
Regarding current or proposed changes to animal welfare laws.

I have a friend living in Antalya. She feeds and whenever possible pays for stray cats to be neutered.

Today she was visited by the Zabita and threatened her with a fine and possible court case.

Is this a new regulation? What is the animal aid advice on this situation?

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 21:13:25 PM »
a fine and court case for what?

Offline cheers

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 21:18:42 PM »
Feeding the stray cats in the area and on her complex Tinx.   :(

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 06:36:37 AM »
it may be a rule on the complex but it certainly isnt law

Offline apollo

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »
Thankyou for your reply.

I will pass on your message and wait and see what happens next.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf