Author Topic: Very quiet  (Read 5068 times)

Offline busybee

Very quiet
« on: May 18, 2013, 22:00:42 PM »
Spent a very pleasant day is Hissy 2day, its a nice change to mooch in some different shops.  Had the best brekie since living here (8yrs) in Del Boys, I am a veggie, had 2 eggs, 2 toast, tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans and chips.  Came on a 12inch oblong plate served by waiters who were the happiest I have ever seen.  10TL and washed down with a mug of hot piping English tea, 2.5TL.  I am a greedy so and so and could just about manage it!!!! Couldnt believe how quiet it was there, not many tourists..........Shops empty with very few customers.  Made a few purchases and was given free gifts and discount in all.  No good shoe shops :(

Offline Sleuth

Re: Very quiet
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:21:55 AM »
Hisaronu appears empty .. its not that theres that many people around, more the reason is there`s too many , much too many repetitive establishments everywhere... too many selling the same stuff, too many bars ,too many restaurants, too many watches, sunglasses  shops,   : :)  and of course the effects of  AI...  many establishments already appearing empty and struggling for customers... reduce the establishments by 50%  and it might appear busier  in H.. we also noticed this year that there is much more of the `hassling for your custom` as you walk around... ... because its fewer people around the owners and guys up front `push` harder for your custom....a dangerous trend... once again similar to what goes on in Marmaris  :-(    but back to H   .. its once again going to be a short season  out here.. I  said it before on here .. sadly Hisaronu is in its death throes and the last few years its even more noticable... a bit like the Klondike gold rush years...  Hisaronu enjoyed the booming 80`s and  90`s   but soon it will be a ghost town like Kaya.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:10:57 AM »
We saw a sign outside one of the bars yesterday which made us smile. It said Customers wanted, no experience required as full training given. At least they haven't lost their sense of humour.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
We've been through there a few times during the last few days and evenings and it's dead compared to how it use to be 4 or 5 years ago.

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 14:19:45 PM »
We were out four times last year and I must say on each occasion it was quite. There is indeed far to much repetition with bars and shops. A bar offering something different like say the quality live music at the Calypso will be the survivors. The bang bang dancing on the bar, establishments have had their day. Any bar and shop owners would be well advised to come up with a different approach.

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 20:51:47 PM »
Coming up with a different idea or plan for a shop or bar is the biggest problem here... and even if you hit on a business that worked, by the end of the season everyone would be copying you.  You are right tiggsy about `Berts calypso bar`very talented  guy,  but it seems the few who are here and want late night entertainment seek out the night clubs in the centre of H  and are happy with the `boom boom` and karaoke....
The best years for H were in the past and  its now slowly dying .. thankfully we still have Fethiye on our doorstep, and Kaya and Olu  Deniz  :)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 04:26:02 AM »
Not forgetting that there are an increasing number of good bars and restaurants on the fringes of the town, indeed going all along the main road back to ovacik, that are offering better value deals than in H itself, which are now attracting a larger share of the H tourist trade.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 08:43:02 AM »
I alway find Hisaronu empty during the day as everyone is down at Oludeniz at the beaches. I think it's a day at the beach and a night in the town sort of resort.
My daughter was over a week ago and said that they found Hisaronu a lot more pushy than normal with businesses hassling people to come in all the time.
It is a totally British Resort , when I was getting my nails done a lady was passing around her phone for everyone to look at  the picture of the huge Full English she had eaten that morning.   We were speaking to a waiter last year in an empty bar we called in for a drink, he was saying to us that it was quiet and that "Only English come here for a holiday"    We where just saying we wondered how this came about and  originally, was Hisaronu a resort that lots of tourists from all different countries visited, or has it always been marketed to the Brits?
Perhaps, it being empty now is a result of higher prices to travel to Turkey and people are finding the same sort of resort in Spain possibly Benidorm, at a cheaper price?

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 14:10:53 PM »
I dont think H  started with tourists specicifically `visiting` H  as a tourist attraction.   I believe it originally was a `stop over` on the way to Olu Deniz and a place to take the overflow of visitors to Olu Deniz... and during the 80`s it grew to what it is now.

Now its going to go the other way with less visitors and instead of farmland etc in between the bars and shops we are going to see more and more vacant and unoccupied establishments in between the few successful ones... and over the next few years its something we ex pats here and tourists will have to get used to.... dont think the halcyon days for H  of the 80`s and 90`s are ever going to return I`m afraid

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 14:19:30 PM »
I remember finding Hisaronu far too busy for my taste - whenever we went up there is was packed - restaurants packed, shops packed, streets packed. I don't think I've been out in Hisaronu for at least 6 years now.

Many of the people I know who have given Hisaronu a try in recent years did so because it was cheap to get to and cheap when you got there. Maybe that explains why it is empty this year.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf