Author Topic: Driving to Turkey  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Marg

« on: June 05, 2014, 22:51:24 PM »
We are seriously thinking of driving to Calis next year. We want to treat it as a holiday so don't want to rush it. We intend coming back through Italy etc but are having some debate about the best route through Eastern Europe going. Has anyone taken the coast road through Croatia and Albania as I would like to visit Dubrovnic? If so any tips? Thanks by the way to all the folk who have posted advice on this topic over the years- it does give us confidence to do the trip.

Offline Hamlet

Re: Driving to Turkey
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 06:21:34 AM »
We did that route in reverse last month, apart from not stopping in Dubrovnic.

Offline Marg

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:45:13 AM »
Great -what were the roads like? Did you have any problems with insurance etc at the various borders?

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:09 AM »
We have done the trip a few times over the years, I can't give too much detail now as I suffer with blurred vision and I can just about manage 20 minutes at a time on the comp.

If you go to http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/category/8/109/30/ you will find some of the trips we did in our motorhome over the years. Some of the info is a bit dated now but it should give you some ideas if you go ahead with your trip. Don't be put off by rumours about Albania they are usually spread by people who have never visited the country.

Good luck.

DonM

Offline scorcher

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »
 That trip of yours must have taken ages Hamlet!  ;D

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:00:37 PM »
Marg, I'm a bit busy this week, I doing the wedding photos for our friends daughter out here this week as well as helping sort things out but I will get back to you after the wedding with some details  8)

Scorcher,  Not In Reverse Gear, DOH! - 9 days Turkey - Channel Tunnel, 3 days Folkstone - Torquay - Kent, 5 Days Channel Tunnel -Uzumlu.  8)

Offline Eric

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »
We did the Croatian coast road last year.  Beautiful drive and scenery.  No real problems at all.  We did Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Greece then Turkey.
Our Green card did not cover Montenegro and Kosovo (Serbia is covered but not recognised at Kosovo border) but you can buy insurance at the border.  Only a couple of Euro's for Montenegro but about 20 Euro's for Kosovo.  You will need a Vignette for driving through Slovenia which you can buy from garages near the border, about 9 Euro's I think.  There are tolls on the Macedonia motorways but the payment in in Macedonian currency which equates to about 80 pence.  You can pay in Euro's, but only notes the smallest being of course 5 Eu.  The change will be given in Macedonian currency.  We pay using a debit card which solves the problem of having a load of Macedonian shrapnel.

There are usually long queues entering Albania because every car is checked on the Interpol stolen car register before being allowed in.  Albania is the European stolen car refuge for Mercedes, Audi, BMW and Range rover cars.  Its funny to see so many of these cars in Albania, which is one of the poorest countries in Europe.

We stayed a few nights in Zardar and a few nights in Dubrovnic.  The walled old town of Zardar was lovely but Dubrovnic was spectacular.  A must do is to take the cable car to the top of the hills overlooking the town.  The views are fantastic.  There is a lovely restaurant at the top where you can have an evening meal and enjoy the sunset.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 15:57:43 PM by Eric »

Offline Lotty

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 14:32:40 PM »
Wow! That sounds amazing Eric. There you go Marg, sounds like a great adventure. :D

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 19:48:20 PM »
There you go Marg, I'd forgotten that Eric had done it also. I won't have to post for you now.  8)

Offline Marg

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 20:05:50 PM »
Thank you all for such excellent replies - just makes me more determined to do it! Will let you know how it goes. In the meantime Eric we will probably see you in Uzumlu and pick your brains even further!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf