Author Topic: internet  (Read 3497 times)

Offline steveb1

internet
« on: July 05, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »
Has any body had trouble connecting to Turkish sites from the uk ? . I have been trying to log on to my bank in turkey for the last 4 days
and it just times out . Have tried 4 different isp . and various computers . Even the visa site seems to take more time than usual.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: internet
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »
Like many finance websites I expect your Turkish bank will not allow you to access your account from a UK or any 'foreign' IP Address.  It alsmost certainly works the same way in reverse, wherby you cannot access your UK bank account from a Turkish or any foreign IP address.

So either you need a VPN to mask the UK IP address as a Turkish one, or perhaps your Turkish bank will give you permission to access their account using a UK IP address, but you will almost certainly then need to provide a 'fixed' UK IP address.  Which firstly means you are resticted to one place in the UK from where to access your Turkish account, and secondly probably will require some setup with your Internet Service provider (ISP) and possibly some changes to your home (W)LAN to accomodate the fixed IP address.

Offline Evie

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »
Ive used my laptop for Turkish Banks Garanti and HSBC whilst in the Uk and I access my UK banks via internet  no problem from Turkey. I have done this for many years and never had a problem.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 15:30:02 PM »
We've never had any problems accessing any of our accounts from Turkey, the UK and anywhere else in Europe.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 16:54:20 PM »
We don't have any problems with internet banking.. I have however been trying to read Hurryet Daily news and can't get on to it.. I can access Zaman with no problem... 

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 17:54:20 PM »
Just tried    http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/
no problems accessing site ???

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 18:09:34 PM »
Like many finance websites I expect your Turkish bank will not allow you to access your account from a UK or any 'foreign' IP Address.  It alsmost certainly works the same way in reverse, wherby you cannot access your UK bank account from a Turkish or any foreign IP address.

Not correct. 

I can access both Turkish and UK based internet banking from anywhere on my laptop - UK, Turkey, Spain, Portugal are all fine for both my UK account and my Turkish accounts.  In addition, I have smartphone apps for both which also work anywhere and add an extra layer of security when used.  My OH uses different banks in both UK & TR and she never has an issue either.

JF

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 18:11:52 PM »
Just to give you an idea that this sort of problem is not restricted to just finance orgainisations, I couldn't book a coach trip in Turkey because I was trying to book, nominally, from the UK using the situation normal with my VPN switched on.  When I shut down the VPN and accessed as normal Turkish user from my ISP I was able to book the trip.  ;)  ;)

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 18:25:32 PM »

Not correct. 

I can access both Turkish and UK based internet banking from anywhere on my laptop - UK, Turkey, Spain, Portugal are all fine for both my UK account and my Turkish accounts.  In addition, I have smartphone apps for both which also work anywhere and add an extra layer of security when used.  My OH uses different banks in both UK & TR and she never has an issue either.

JF

John how do you know I am not correct?  Do you know how every financial organisation operates its security policies and practices, highly unlikely.  In your experience there has not been a problem for you, or indeed others on this thread, but that does not mean that others may have had a different experience from you, including myself, based on the financial organisations they use.  I simply suggested that some, not all, financial organisations operate in this manner, and how they do it, and a possible work round using a VPN.  It's not a matter of being correct or incorrect, it is simply based upon experience, which we then seek to inform people of in order to hopefully help them with a problem they have.

Offline steveb1

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 20:50:41 PM »
I have always done internet banking from the uk to turkey never had a problem until about the last few weeks .
Also I have been trying to book some hotels in Cappadocia and Konya which I have done for the last 10 years but when I go to there websites it just goes blank .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf