Author Topic: Turkish Inheritance Law - as clear as mud!  (Read 12855 times)

Offline grahamturner09

Re: Turkish Inheritance Law - as clear as mud!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 21:02:42 PM »
My point is just because someone is not married doesn't mean they all have children by several partners

Offline Lotty

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 23:38:15 PM »
I don't think old nick was suggesting that? Just many possible permutations.  ;)

Offline Old Nick

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 09:57:10 AM »
Sorry if I offended you Grahamturner, I certainly didn't intend to, I was just alluding to some of the complexities of SOME of today's relationships and not implying at all that if a couple are not married they are likely to have children by several different partners. :o.  However, on the subject of not being married, I know a couple who bought a property in Calis and were advised to marry as the male had an ex wife and she would have inherited his share if he died (presumably he had to get divorced first). I am sure that some people buy property out there without being fully aware of the inheritence laws.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 14:02:10 PM »
On the point of unmarried partnerships, even with both names on the Tapu, if the deceased person has parents or siblings (and I believe even nieces/nephews - not sure on this) then it is they who will inherit that persons share. The partner will only keep their own 50% of the property.

Offline sadler

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 18:31:33 PM »
Where does the probate/inheritance dept in Turkey get its information on family members etc. is there a record they can trace or is it down to remaining family members informing them? I seem to recall having to give info on family, mother and father,s full name, and children etc when we first bought our property. Is there an internet site where one can check what info is held? I do have a valid reason for asking, one family member would not get a portion if we were able to make that decision ourselves and this is one of the reasons we are looking to get our assets back into the UK!  :-\

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 20:15:47 PM »
They rely on you having the birth/death certificate apostilled by the commonwealth office, previously it cost approx £30per certicate, once these are stamped you need to take it to the UK lawyer and swear an oath of allegiance, Affidavit, that it is true and he/she will duly stamp it, and of course anyone who is able to inherit will need to have a notorised letter copy of their apostil certificate confirming they do not wish to inherit (which in turn could open a new can of worms), and remember to pay lawyer fees.  Then it need to be ratified by the Turkish court. 
I have heard that the Turkish Gazette will post requesting information.

The sit back and relax whilst ensuring your wallet is accessible to continue to pay the copious fees you will encounter on the way.

Offline sadler

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 20:35:05 PM »
Loz thanks for that. Is it possible. (If one were so inclined) to forget to mention a certain family member who may be entitled to a portion if the circumstance arose?

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 21:19:08 PM »
Try it and hope that the person who is entitled to a share doesn't get wind of it   ;)

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 23:08:30 PM »
On the subject of unmarried partners, in the UK if somebody dies without a will and they are unmarried, if they have children by a previous partner and the child is under age 18, the previous partner is next of kin (on behalf of the child).  This can cause huge problems so is worth keeping in mind.  The partner has no rights whatsoever.....I have seen a number of people suffer for this law....

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 23:29:59 PM »
So...  after much legal debate and research, the solution is:

Spend/drink the lot before you go and there will be bugger all left to worry about.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf