Author Topic: 1st round of the Turkish Presidential elections this Sunday!  (Read 4457 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
1st round of the Turkish Presidential elections this Sunday!
« on: August 05, 2014, 22:20:02 PM »
This Sunday is the first and possibly only round of elections for the Turkish Presidency.

Two polls a few weeks ago showed a strong possibility that RTE has enough support to win outright in the first round.

Offline davybill

Re: 1st round of the Turkish Presidential elections this Sunday!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:26:30 AM »
Yes I think he's odds on to win,Worst Luck.

Offline janmack

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »
Think it's safe to say he is going to walk it :'(

Offline yabanci

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 08:19:29 AM »
Seems to be President Erdogan come August 11th :(

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 09:17:05 AM »
Yes he will probably win,  :( but at least let's get a second ballot, with a straight run off between Reg and the 'joint' opposition candidate.

Offline peter16

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
So sad  :( that Turkey will elect a man like this one. Sad for them and for the region.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »
Well if he doesn't win he'll be right miffed, he's spent enough time "buying" the vote.
New headscarf & a bag of coal anyone?

Seriously this can only be bad news for a secular Turkey.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 13:47:06 PM »
Doğan ever the optimist thinks it will go to the next round and we will know the result Sunday 24th August.

Moving on to the General Elections he also thinks that after the result is known if that person we all dread wins, Gull will then form a break away party, because no way will he want to have that person as President over him and that person wants someone who he can control as PM.

If that happens it will split the AKP vote so it will be anyone's guess what happens next.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 14:12:03 PM »
Nichola

Up to now the role of President has been taken as a largely ceremonial one, with some leeway to refuse to sign legislation, but with real power lying in the office of the Prime Minister. I don't know whether this was covered by formal constitutional arrangements but I suspect that it was/is since there was parliamentary talk last year about passing constitutional amendments. This was when RTE was reputed to be attempting to "do a Putin": i.e. when forced to give up the PM position, transferring power to the Presidential role, and then getting elected for the "new" job of ruling Russia/Turkey. Since then I have not heard of these constitutional changes being enacted but I am sceptical of the possibility that RTE would willing accept a largely ceremonial role.

So I have a number of questions:
Am I exaggerating the difference in relative power between PM and Pres.? Am I right in saying there has been no major constitutional change in the respective roles? In the highly likely event of RTE winning the election what is likely to happen then? RTE to use AKP's parliamentary strength to push through constitutional change after the event? A puppet PM appointed who will be directed by RTE? Or, just possibly, that RTE accepts the present Pres. role and leans back to bask in his wondrous achievements - surely not?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 15:36:26 PM »
Am I exaggerating the difference in relative power between PM and Pres?  No you aren't but anyone who knows the current PM can guess at how likely it is that he will take a backseat...

Am I right in saying there has been no major constitutional change in the respective roles? Yes you are right but he wants there to be... but not sure how he'll manage it.

In the highly likely event of RTE winning the election what is likely to happen then?

1. RTE to use AKP's parliamentary strength to push through constitutional change after the event?

2. A puppet PM appointed who will be directed by RTE?

3. Or, just possibly, that RTE accepts the present Pres. role and leans back to bask in his wondrous achievements - surely not?

I think 1 and 2 are the real possibilities. First he will try and get constitutional change and if not support a PM that is nothing more than a puppet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf