Author Topic: How to keep cool  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Lotty

How to keep cool
« on: July 31, 2015, 21:55:24 PM »
Just reading Susiepinks post welcoming a new member and saying that they will learn to deal with the excessive summer heat. I know it would really wear me down, June is the latest month I can manage and it seems much worse for me the older I get! So I'm sure many would welcome some advice on the best tips to keep cool?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: How to keep cool
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 22:23:59 PM »
I'll be very interested in the replies to you post lotty.

We are the same - cannot imagine visiting in July and August. We have been in June and September when even then it has been exceptional hot and even diving in the pool regularly didn't help.

Quite how the good people of Calis who work in restaurants and bars manage to provide tourist services in such temperatures is beyond me.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 22:33:23 PM »
Of course, I could always become the present Mrs H's private punkah wallah.   :)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 22:47:50 PM by Highlander »

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:48:36 AM »
It seems hotter and even more humid this year. We are hibernating in front of the aircon and go out as little as possible. Even night time is no cooler, you feel like you're constantly wrapped in a hot damp blanket - most unpleasant. Got no choice but to suffer as we live here.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:33:44 AM »
Just returned from a few days golfing in Belek.
The best way I found to keep cool was to keep hitting balls into the trees & then spend ages looking for them, until I cooled down    ;)

Every day we must have lost 5 litres in body fluid (even after consuming another 3 litres of water whilst on the course) but due to the heat & humidity our clothes were absolutely soaked & gained about 10kg on each round.

The only way we found to really cool down was then to head straight for the 19th hole & consume copious amounts of alcohol.  8)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:07:57 AM by Hamlet »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 09:09:08 AM »
I remember speaking to a Turkish friend a few years ago, he told us the way to keep cool is to do what a lot of his relatives do and move up to the mountains in July and August. 
July and August are the two months we would not want to visit Calis and make it a point to stay away.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 09:26:10 AM »
I think we will move up to the mountains next year too  :o

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
We've got a heatwave here in North Wales too!

It's bloody sweltering!

It's just reached 16 degrees and we've been warned that if it doesn't rain again this afternoon they're going to declare a drought!!

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »
I am very fortunate that I don't have to work in this heat, so have the luxury of laying on the beach ( you get a lovely sea breeze along this coast), or find a nice pool and dip in and out, alternatively a boat trip is very refreshing, frequent dips in to the sea. If all else fails I have an 'air con' day and just laze about in the house, reading or watching DVDs ! I don't find it too expensive to run the air conditioning, if you compare your overall electric bills with what you would be paying in the UK it's only for a few short weeks at the height of summer. I really don't know how the chefs manage in this heat, they deserve a medal. An afterthought - a lot of the shops especially Erasta  have air conditioners too, a spot of retail therapy ?

Offline Lotty

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 16:59:59 PM »
Years ago when we went to Lyndos we couldn't bear the heat in June, impossible to get ready to go out in the evening, we looked like we'd just walked out of the shower! Once I got up in the middle of the night and soaked my sheet under the tap down in the court yard. Carried it back up dripping and threw it over myself and went out like a light! Sheet was bone dry in the morning.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf