Author Topic: Easyjet (Not Turkey Specifically)  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Easyjet (Not Turkey Specifically)
« on: February 20, 2017, 22:41:54 PM »
Coming back from Belfast last night the flight was packed, and they came round at the gate asking for volunteers to check their hand baggage in the hold. I'm always happy enough to do that as it is no great hassle going to the carousel in EDI, and it means not having to find overhead locker space for 4x cases when with the family.

I let them have ours, and once tagged up they told us to join the speedy boarders in the left lane.

Worth knowing...  :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Easyjet (Not Turkey Specifically)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 23:18:06 PM »
I let them have ours, and once tagged up they told us to join the speedy boarders in the left lane.

Reckon its a one off mate - we've had cabin bags checked in on a regular basis over the past few years and never seen that happen. 

Easyjet A321's carry between 180 and 186 bodies and the overhead bins have capacity for circa 90 cabin cases (to their measurements).  Get a busy flight and there's an imbalance between bodies, cases and capacity - I know at Malaga, EJ and Ryanair both come down the "line" asking for folks to voluntarily check cabin bags in on almost every flight.  Rather than struggle for bin space, as we often have a hold bag or two, at the bag drop we now usually just suggest that we check in the cabin bags as well.  Never had a knock back yet.

Its also worth pointing out that if you take advantage of this, you MUST remove any valuables from your cabin bag - if you don't, and something goes missing, there is a high likelihood that your insurance wont cover it.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 23:22:36 PM »
Yes I've offered my cabin baggage many times and this was the first time - maybe (just maybe) a new idea/policy?

Once again I blame Easyjet - and their rivals - if they didn't charge so much for checked in cases (£50 each return to Dalaman - I've flown to Dalaman myself for less!!) then people like us wouldn't go all out to get everything we need in a small carry on case. In fact, we probably wouldn't have carry on cases at all.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 23:34:51 PM »
Yeah, maybe new policy - haven't flown EJ for nearly a fortnight  ;)

Thing is, once you've chucked your bags in there ain't much of a benefit getting SB now its allocated seating.  We usually wait until the last minute before we bother to head down so rarely have to wait in the air bridge queue.  Unless of course its Dalaman and you're trying to avoid certain other passengers  ;)

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 23:47:00 PM »
Yes true, when I see "certain other passengers" jump up the second someone opens the door to the airbridge, I tend to hang back    ;)

I do love the way they progress you from standing in a queue at the gate, to sending you through the gate, down the stairs, where you can queue again at a locked door. Then, last night, front and rear boarding, we were row 22 of 26 (I think) and they kindly tipped us off that we should use the rear steps. Who would have thought that. Certainly not the two idiot women who fought their way through everyone boarding from the rear - they boarded at the front of the plane and made slow, painful progress against the tide to their row, the second last one at the back :(

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:33:07 AM »
The baggage fees are crazy.
Flew Turkish airlines recently..smooth as usual, baggage included in ticket price.
Pegasus on the way back with charge for bags.
Ladies had to put their handbags in their cabin bag so chaos at boarding gate.
Once onboard all ladies scrabbling in cabin bags for purses, headphones, tablets etc
Not enough room for everyones bags, arguments breaking out, stress levels high, for staff too, who had to move their own stuff to make way for passenger bags.
45 mins late taking off resulting in panic at Istanbul to make transit.
My biggest problem with easyjet is cramming everything in hand luggage and being unable to lift it up into the overhead bins  :)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 11:48:57 AM »
I do love the way they progress you from standing in a queue at the gate, to sending you through the gate, down the stairs, where you can queue again at a locked door.

You should try Ryanair from Prestwick!  Saying that its probably changed now but going back a few years they used to have four different queueing points before they let you out into the sodding rain to board.  You queued in the lounge, then all along a windowless dingy corridor, then along another dingy corridor till finally you queued at a doorway onto the tarmac.  Add on the exorbitant car parking charges and on the basis of all round customer satisfaction levels its no surprise it loses money every year.  Horrible airport.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 18:44:24 PM »
Never flown from Prestwick and amazingly never flown on Ryanair. Reading your post I am even more happy about that.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 18:52:16 PM »
Ach, they're not too bad now as long as you avoid Prestwick. They're our only option for malaga from Edinburgh so have used them a few times over the past few years.

Really new fleet with the newer seats on a lot of aircraft so good legroom.

JF

Offline marina

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 19:10:07 PM »
Ryanair are ok. We've flown with them from both Leeds/Bradford and Liverpool. My OH really dislikes them and does his best Victor Meldrew impression grumbling all the way to the airport and is determined to find something to complain about, up to now he hasn't!  ;D  If they flew to Dalaman I'd go with them, and put up with the grumbling!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf