flythomascook.com

Author Topic: I'm sure I'll see the funny side.....  (Read 444 times)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
I'm sure I'll see the funny side.....
« on: August 17, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
Yesterday, Mr WB and I collected a hammock frame from Fethiye. We loaded it onto the roof rack of our Land Rover - it rested nicely on the spare wheel at the back, one corner hung down over a little bit of the windscreen on my side. There were no bits sticking out, it didn't add too much height, and it was fastened on with rope and bungees tighter than Donald Trump's toupee, to coin Mr WB's phrase; that sucker wasn't moving.

On the way back up the hill, we were stopped by the trafik polis by the fuel station at Ovac─▒k. You know how sometimes you can tell those with the power to do so are determined to find something wrong? Yep, this guy had that glint in his eye.
He fined us 292 TRY because it was an 'unsafe load'.

Never mind the mopeds bearing a family of four and a goat, including a newborn baby and with the driver on his mobile. Never mind the trucks where the only thing holding a pile of loose furniture in place is a man. Never mind the makeshift boat trailers made out of a slab of MDF and old quad bike tires. They're not a problem, apparently.

The only saving grace is that at least they let us carry on after issuing the fine; in the UK, I'm sure that wouldn't have happened. And if we pay within 14 days, the fine drops to 220 lira.

(The guy also told Mr WB that he wasn't allowed to drive the truck as the ruhsat is in my name. That worried us a bit, as he's been driving ever since we got it three years ago. His name is also on the registration document, in a different place to mine. We've had that checked out this morning and had it confirmed that we're joint owners and equally entitled to drive it, luckily.)

Online BernieTeyze

Re: I'm sure I'll see the funny side.....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:56:41 AM »
Oh no..that's really crap isn't it. I don't suppose there is any form of appeal?  :-\ : :)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »
Oh no..that's really crap isn't it. I don't suppose there is any form of appeal?  :-\ :  :)

Not worth it, Bernie. It'd end up being protracted and expensive and we'd lose....put it down to experience and one of those delightful quirks of life here...  : :)

Next time we'll either go at dead of night, wait until the back road is open again, or pay a man-with-a-van!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 19:06:27 PM »
Or hire a man with a scooter !  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf