Author Topic: turkish history.  (Read 7111 times)

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
turkish history.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 21:38:42 PM »
cried laughing at that until my hubby reminded me that it "landed" when the water subsided!!! Had this vision of the Noah and his ark zooming around space with all the giraffes, elephants etc hanging out of the windows....!!

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
turkish history.
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 09:33:52 AM »

Does it really matter how its worded? Seviyorums is an interesting posting, well researched, so instead of laughing can we get back on topic now?

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
turkish history.
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 09:40:54 AM »
Marcus,

The next time you are in Fethiye why not give the Museum a go. Its only 2 lira and you more or less have the place to yourself (The last 3 times I was in there I did anyway).
The Museum itself looks like it hasn't changed since the 60's so it's history within history if you like. The funny thing is that they have so many artifacts there that they have no room to store them and this is evident when you take look around the outside area of the Museum. You can see pilars, tablets and all sorts of other bits and bobs just left against the walls outside. At first I was quite disgusted that these important historical artifacts where left in such a way but then when you think that they just have so much of this stuff they don't know what to do with it and I wonder because these pieces are from the Roman empire are they not treated with the same respect as if they were Turkish? Just a thought.

For those who haven't yet, you really must take a trip to Patara. It's fantastic and only an hour or so away. There is so much Lycian history around there too with amphitheatres of Xanthos etc. On the way look out for the Lycian graves cut into the rocks (KayaKoyuoldboy will I'm sure let you know the route from Fethiye)
and spookily it has been said that between Xanthos and Patara there has been reports of a mysterious lady crouching behind shrubs, she is said to have long flowing blonde locks. One minute she is there and the next she's gone. Wierd!!

Offline Teatime

turkish history.
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 22:07:13 PM »
The king from England who visited Turkiye first time (also last one) was Edward VIII in 1936 with madam Simpson. Then neither Turkiye saw a king neither the world saw a big love.  :(

Offline Brianbern

turkish history.
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 00:40:23 AM »

Near Sanliurfa archaeologists are " uncovering Göbekli Tepe (pronounced Guh-behk-LEE TEH-peh). The site is vaguely reminiscent of Stonehenge, except that Göbekli Tepe was built much earlier and is made not from roughly hewn blocks but from cleanly carved limestone pillars splashed with bas-reliefs of animals—a cavalcade of gazelles, snakes, foxes, scorpions, and ferocious wild boars.
The assemblage was built some 11,600 years ago, seven millennia before the Great Pyramid of Giza. It contains the oldest known temple. Indeed, Göbekli Tepe is the oldest known example of monumental architecture—the first structure human beings put together that was bigger and more complicated than a hut. When these pillars were erected, so far as we know, nothing of comparable scale existed in the world."----Charles C Mann.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/06/gobekli-tepe/mann-text

I've just noticed that this particular topic is from 2006. Anyway I'll post it here. The web page above has slides and film of the model of the structures being made.

Brian

Offline amca

turkish history.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 01:21:22 AM »
Boris Johnson

His Turkish great grandfather, Ali Kemal Bey, was politician and journalist and was assassinated in the 1920s, following political conflict in Turkey.

Offline ovacik2

turkish history.
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »

Offline maecy

turkish history.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 06:17:04 AM »
Ataturk made wearing a fez illegal, I'm not sure if the law has ever been recinded.
I was also told this story but I am not sure if it is true...
In an effort to speed modernisation Ataturk decided to ban the wearing of full muslim body coverings for women, there was a national outcry, so he changed the law to say that it was still legal, but only if you were a prostitute. Women quickly became less veiled.

Offline hm3000

turkish history.
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
quote:
In an effort to speed modernisation Ataturk decided to ban the wearing of full muslim body coverings for women, there was a national outcry, so he changed the law to say that it was still legal, but only if you were a prostitute. Women quickly became less veiled.

did you believe such a big lie? :D please be careful what you write thing is true or not.if you are not sure it is true, you should not write here...
you can read about reforms here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atat%C3%BCrk's_Reforms

and you can read about veiling in Quran
http://www.quranic.org/quran_article/22/headscarf_and_veiling.htm

by the way, there is a Turkish proverb "Bilmemek ayip degil, ogrenmemek ayip."  it means "It´s not a shame not to know; what is bad is not asking."

Harun
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:57:53 PM by hm3000 »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
turkish history.
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 13:59:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by hm3000

did you believe such a big lie? :D please be careful what you write thing is true or not.if you are not sure it is true, you should not write here..

This incorrect information can be found on dozens, maybe hundreds of websites. On those websites it sits unquestioned. What has happened here is someone has found the information and copied it to CBF, allowing someone to correct them with the facts. I would say that is a positive thing. If they hadn't posted it here, they would maybe have believed it for ever. Now, they are wiser and I am sure will not be telling this incorrect fact to more people.

quote:
Originally posted by hm3000

"It´s not a shame not to know; what is bad is not asking."

My point exactly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf