Author Topic: scarey's hubby  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Carl

scarey's hubby
« on: January 17, 2004, 22:10:07 PM »
Hi Everybody,

I've been dragged screaming and kicking to the computer to write this!

You know from Scarey's story how we came about buying a Villa and Apartment in Turkey, but this is a behind the scenes story.

Trudie has always been what you call head strong and when she first heard about property in Turkey she was determined to find out as much as possible for herself regardless of what anybody else had to say. Even me.

As you know the research side lasted a few months. This all started on my computer, much to my frustration, as I could never get on it. We therefore invested in a home computer just for Trudie. (Little did I know that she would become more married to the computer than to me. LOL).  I have to say, that the properties in question looked quite promising, but how were we to check them out, as we already had a holiday booked in Greece (Sorry we knew nothing of Turkey when this was booked) and I didn't have enough holiday to spend on an exploratory trip?

Trudie was not deterred and found a girlfriend to accompany her on a whirlwind tour of southern Turkey. This was the first time she had every traveled without me and it was quite worrying. We kept in touch by phone and things were going well until she arrived in Calis. She became overly excited and seemed ready to commit to a property I could only imagine was a shell of a Villa. Naturally I told her not to sign anything and that if she was sure, that we would find a way for both of us to visit.

Trudie returned all excited and loaded with an armful of pictures. Now they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, but how can they convey the feeling experienced in Calis through a few photos?

It seemed a good investment and a week to Turkey was booked in early April. As it turned out I had a business trip booked the week before our trip to Turkey. I was to return on the Sunday and we were to fly out the Monday! Not a problem I hear you say, no it isn't unless you almost lose your passport 4 days before you are due to fly to Turkey! Needless to say I found my passport and we made our way to Calis without mishap. (Trudie told me that it wouldn't have been a problem as she was quite happy to fly without me. Bitch LOL)

And so we found ourselves in Calis in early April under Ian and Hedi's protective wing. Now I am used to corporate hospitality but it was a quite magical week in Calis. We visited all the sites and met with other agents to see property in and around Calis. Both Trudie and Ian were quite cunning in that they saved Yes Villa until the very last. It was at this point that I understood Trudie's initial excitement. Pictures had not done it justice and not knowing anything of Calis how can anyone appreciate what Calis has to offer.

Trudie and I have been married for over 12 years and I am used to her unusual demands, but when she said that she would not sign contracts unless it was a boat in Fethyie harbour, even I was blown away. Needless to say it happened!

We returned back to Sunny England and wheels were but in motion to turn our shell of a Villa into a dream Villa. Little did we know how slowly wheels turn in Turkey!!

Our next trip abroad, was to our pre-booked holiday in Kefalonia, Greece. We had been going here on and off for over 8 years, but somehow it didn't feel the same anymore knowing what lay in wait for us in Calis.

Trudie then returned with another girlfriend to oversee the finishing touches to Yes Villa. What ensued was a tale from "Builders from Hell" in that nothing had been done and Trudie then spent the next two weeks trying to sort it out.

There are times when you can take your partner for granted and forget what they are made of.  I am immensely proud of Trudie for being tough enough to stand her ground and do what it took to resolve the problems. They eventually moved in two days before their departure!! Although not all the work had been completed!!

It was Trudie's return that told the whole story, never had I seen her looking so tired and drawn.

We were all to return as a family for two weeks in August to our new completed Villa. That is to say Trudie and Hannah, my eldest daughter, went out for a week and I followed with the two little ones. Now the pace of life here and in Turkey as most of you are aware is totally different. We would expect that after 6 weeks minor problems would be sorted out, not so in Turkey. Things had been left as they were when Trudie was last in Turkey. To make matters even worse Trudie got lost on her second day with Hannah and phoned me for directions!!

Now imagine your wife is hysterical and lost on the other end of the phone several hundred miles away and she asks you for directions. Naturally you ask her where she thinks she is and what she can see. The reply is I don't know, I can't see anything. (Are you blind I ask!) Can you find your back to the Beach or The Post Office, no was the reply, but you have to help me find my way back to the Villa!! Yeah right, let me get my crystal ball out.

Meanwhile I am at my In-laws taking this call trying to sound calm. Is Trudie OK they ask. Of Course I say, thinking, not only is she lost but lost with our eldest daughter who is very close to tears. Needless to say she managed to get a lift back to Yes Villa and it only cost £40 in mobile phone calls!!

I arrived with our other two children a few days later, looking forward to a week's holiday. Little did I realize what was in store for me. We all spent the week looking at further properties and sorting out the last few things with Yes Villa. We all left together having had an exhausting week and having purchased an apartment!

This has turned into Trudie's business venture and she has since visited to ensure things run smoothly with Yes Apartment. It never ceases to amaze me her determination to succeed. That became apparent when she embarked on setting up the website. Even this was not to be trouble free and required constant input, to ensure that it would represent her properties as she wanted them.

All the work of the last year is now beginning to pay off as Trudie is getting bookings for Yes Villa and no one is more proud of Trudie than me.

So that is my side of the story as to how we stumbled across Calis and stumble we did. We look forward to spending many years there.

But what of me I here those of you say who have managed to get this far, remembering that I was dragged to the computer to write this.

Well I am 39 years old and am currently general manager for a wholesale dental company. We live in sunny Dorset and I travel through Southern England, Ireland and Switzerland with my job. I work days and Trudie works nights so we are more than often like ships passing in the night.

I am sure that you will all be glad to hear that this is my introductory story and that I do not see myself being on the forum as much as Trudie. Trudie did ask me to keep this brief so true to my word is here is my story. (Trudie has fallen asleep since I began writing this, bloody cheek.)

I am sure that we will get to meet a few of you when out in Calis. Maybe over a pint watching one of those amazing sunsets from Calis promenade.

Regards

Carl

Offline kenbowns

scarey's hubby
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 00:17:11 AM »
Great story Carl, Trudie has obviously spirit in abundance, stick with her instincts, they look sound so far, I am sure you will agree, glad the bookings are coming in Ken.

Offline Scarey

• Senior Citizen
scarey's hubby
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 03:29:03 AM »
I have just read all that....and Heidi thought I could waffle  ;)

Welcome Carl lol :D :D

Offline nelliedeen

scarey's hubby
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 04:09:37 AM »
Welcome Carl to our site, I met Trudie at the airport in Dalaman when she was returning from one of her trips to Calis and I was amazed to find she had travelled on her own.  I thought she was a very brave young lady and I can see that you are very proud of her, and so you should be.  Look forward to meeting up one day in our mutual paradise.
Regards
Helen

Offline Roy H

• Father of the House
  • Father of the House
scarey's hubby
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 07:28:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum Carl. Now you have dipped your toe in the waters so to speak, I hope we will be getting further contribitions from you.
I live up in the other end of 'sunny Dorset' but have not seen much of the sun you speak of lately  :)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
scarey's hubby
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 10:41:02 AM »
Great story Carl, I feel almost guilty that our building and renovation work went without a hitch, our agent recomended we employ the services of an engineer to oversee the work, this cost us the princely sum of £100 for work that took 6 weeks to complete. I thought it was just a way of extracting some more money as I was never going to meet this individual, as it turned out it was the best £100 investment I have ever made, he did all of the co-ordination and quality checking throughout the work, he also made sure that the budget was kept in line and that workers got paid only on satisfactory completion.

Anyway, it sounds like we all had a happy ending, like Trudie, Chris has taken on the responsibility of running Villa Fleur and a pretty good job she is making of it, on the other hand I feel good in the knowledge that after depleting every penny of our savings to buy Villa Fleur, we have seen our investment rise in value by 40% in just over a year.

Look forward to meeting you over a cold beer.

All the best

George

Offline Patty

• Poster
scarey's hubby
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 11:13:09 AM »
Welcome to the site Carl.
What a lovely report i felt quite choked reading it, not many husbands would openly praise their wife.
Look forward to meeting you

Patty:D

Offline Carl

scarey's hubby
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 12:49:00 PM »
Rimms,

Good idea employing someone to oversee the work. Perhaps something like that should be featured elsewhere on the site for others to benefit from.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and what one should have done is always abundantly apparant after the event.

However, I am a firm believer that out of every adversity comes a seed of equal or greater benefit and this instance Trudie made alot of friends at Poppy Apartments as a result of the work not being completed on time. And although that may not have been the aim intially it has proved to be worth it's weight in gold, as it only adds to getting to know the area and people. And there are some wonderful people in Calis.

Offline Carl

scarey's hubby
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 12:51:32 PM »
Roy,
Look out the window and you will see the glorious sunshine I am speaking about. Well you can in East Dorsert anyway.

Offline CMC

• Baildon, Yorkshire, UK
scarey's hubby
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2004, 18:44:00 PM »
What a great story, well done both of you!
Christine

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf