Author Topic: Britain to implement the same Electronic Ban on Flights as U.S.A.  (Read 30132 times)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Re: Britain to implement the same Electronic Ban on Flights as U.S.A.
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2017, 15:18:23 PM »
Blimey, this could start a revolution, people may actually have to have real live conversations to fill the void   ;)

Offline philrose

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2017, 06:21:07 AM »
I see a lot of problems with this move.  There could be 100 ipads or computers.  Will they be wrapped and packed in the hold? Or will they all be packed together in one big container with no protection? Also will everyone get their electronic item back back in good condition or perhaps not get their item back at all.   If this happens, will the item be covered by insurance?
I saw the recent youtube video on F.B and watched the baggage handlers throwing suitcases around. I wonder would said baggage handlers be careful with a container of electronic equipment?   :(    ;)

This is from the Turkish  Airlines Website

nformation Regarding the On-board Use of Electronic Devices on our U.S. and U.K. bound flights:
Turkish Airlines introduces its new offerings to make their U.S. and U.K. bound passengers’ journeys more comfortable during the implementation process of the electronics ban that declared by the concerned authorities.
Our passengers will continue to use the on board internet with their mobile phones.
Laptops, tablets and other electronic devices may be used until the boarding gate where they will be handed over.
Our transfer passengers will have to deliver their respective devices at the boarding gate on their arrival in Istanbul.
If passenger prefers not to place his/her electronical devices to the checked baggage during the check-in, according to the amendments, these devices will be handed over to be tagged at the boarding gate for a safe and secure transportation, and will be handed back to the passengers upon arrival at the destination. At this destination there will be Turkish Airlines’ authorized staff who will collect the luggages that contain electronic devices. These staff will take them all to the designated place in baggage reclaim area, and all devices will be delivered to owners by these staff by matching the given luggage tags with the record list they have.
Why do we do that?
As per the directive issued by the relevant authorities in their respective countries, which will be effective as from 25th of March 2017, passengers of U.S. and U.K. bound flights from/through Istanbul Ataturk Airport are not permitted to carry electronic devices, with the exception of medical devices, larger than a cell phone or smart phone on board.
All laptops, tablets, cameras*, e-readers and gaming devices must be placed in checked-in baggage at the start of any U.S.-bound or U.K.-bound journey. Turkish Airlines offers a special service from Istanbul Atatürk Airport that gives its passengers a safe and secure method of carrying their electronics in a special area in the cargo hold of the aircraft.
Transit passengers may hand over their electronic devices at the boarding gate.
The ban does not affect flights leaving from the U.S. or U.K. for Turkey and beyond.
* Bringing aboard cameras is not restricted for U.K. bound flights.
Dear Passengers,
​As being the Europe’s Best Airline for the last six years;
Our award-winning catering,
In-flight Wi-Fi availability,
Nearly 400 movies, Universal My Music Planet offerings of 1500 music albums with over 20,000 tracks,
Over 750 TV series, documentaries, short programs, live TV and sports broadcasting,
are sure to make your flight experience enjoyable.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2017, 11:18:22 AM »
Haven't seen much coverage from other countries affected, but THY certainly appear on the ball:

“The electronic devices will be received by an airline officer during the last check-in before boarding the aircraft and will be placed in a special shatterproof luggage after being wrapped in foam covers," Turkish Airlines CEO Bilal Ekşi told the agency on March 24.

"We guarantee that passengers’ devices will not be damaged or lost," he added.

On the basis that I only use THY to Istanbul, and that I only tend to work on the outbound leg, I have no issue with handing over my trusted old Thinkpad to the staff at Ataturk for safekeeping.  Only minor inconvenience is that I'll have to shift sensitive data such as stored passwords onto a memory stick and delete them from the machine.  No biggie under the circumstances.

JF

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2017, 13:13:17 PM »
A reporter for Sky news was reporting from Manchester airport today.  He said any tablet bigger than 7" was not acceptable.

I thought the rule was 16cm which is less than 6.5 inches?

I have a 7" tablet but that's almost 18cm.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2017, 13:16:56 PM »
Haven't seen much coverage from other countries affected, but THY certainly appear on the ball:

“The electronic devices will be received by an airline officer during the last check-in before boarding the aircraft and will be placed in a special shatterproof luggage after being wrapped in foam covers," Turkish Airlines CEO Bilal Ekşi told the agency on March 24.

"We guarantee that passengers’ devices will not be damaged or lost," he added.

On the basis that I only use THY to Istanbul, and that I only tend to work on the outbound leg, I have no issue with handing over my trusted old Thinkpad to the staff at Ataturk for safekeeping.  Only minor inconvenience is that I'll have to shift sensitive data such as stored passwords onto a memory stick and delete them from the machine.  No biggie under the circumstances.

KF

I think they are following the Emirate lead. They came out pretty much straight away and offered a similar service.

I think my iPad will stay at home and my 7" tablet will holiday with me (I bought it for Kodi so it's handy in Turkey anyway.)

Only downside is the battery life is nowhere near as good and it's far less user friendly too.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2017, 13:36:41 PM »

I have a 7" tablet .....

I bet that's what you tell all the lasses.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2017, 13:46:10 PM »
Pooh matron!  ;)

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2017, 15:34:10 PM »
Unless the reporter got his measurements wrong Stoop but he definitely said 7"   :)

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2017, 17:03:57 PM »
Under the new arrangements, passengers boarding flights from these countries to the UK will not be allowed to take phones, laptops and tablets which are larger than:(from www.gov.uk site)
•length: 16.0cm
•width: 9.3cm
•depth: 1.5cm
= 6.29"
=3.66"
=0.59"

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2017, 12:05:59 PM »
Full info.

It seems cameras are OK to take in the cabin.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk

The sizes quoted above re correct so I guess the Sky guy got it wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf