Author Topic: Medical insurance  (Read 37114 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Medical insurance
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 19:12:43 PM »
Is that 212 each?

Offline Dutchie

Medical insurance
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 19:21:21 PM »
It doesn't say but I don't think so.
I assume it is for families, like it is for Turks.

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
Medical insurance
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 19:36:41 PM »
For a couple or a family, that sounds reasonable. I just had a look at AXA and they want £168 per month just for one person !

Offline quackers

Medical insurance
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 06:07:31 AM »
We pay 285tl per month for the 2 of us and it is good value. But some ex pats are on a low income and this ammount will cripple them financially. They did not expect to have this expense when the moved here. However they will have to have some insurance and if they dont they will have to go back to UK or another country. It is not the Turkish Goverments fault if you do not have enough money to pay for it. You should be able to support yourself when living abroad.I worry about my friends because if they get seriously ill and unable to travel what will they do, die.

Offline hubblebubble

Medical insurance
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »
Dutchie, if the letter states that all yabanci are assessed at the max, how can it tie in with the law drafted and also the much lower level of income required for residency?
I would suggest that is something the British Consul needs to petition about rapidly if is the local interpretation.

Offline Dutchie

Medical insurance
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »
I assume because it will be too much hassle for them to check foreign incomes.
How will they ever know whether people are showing all their income or not?

But you're right that it isn't fair on people with a low budget.

Offline tasha10

Medical insurance
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
Hi- i have a personal query if anyone can help id appreciate it very much. I got a 3 year residency in may 2011, and have just returned from the uk after a months holiday there. So i wont have lived a full year IN turkey. Do i have to go pay health insurance starting now or would it start in may. Do i need to register before 31st on jan or face a 800tl fine? I have just had information thrown at me from people and cant find any official info anywhere, theres nothing on the british consulate website... Hope someone can help. Sorry if this has already been asked but everyones situation is different, im 20 so dont get a pension etc, i basically live off my partners wage and the small amount of savings that i have,i personally think that if we have to pay insurance into the system we should be allowed to work as turks in the uk on settlement visas are, or be able to choose to face paying full price for health care.

Offline Dutchie

Medical insurance
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »
This is what I've just written in another topic about the insurance issue:

I spoke with Birsen Hanim - the Director of SGK Fethiye - this morning and she was really friendly and helpful.
This is what she said about the subject:

Q: Who need to register at the SGK office?
A: All foreigners with a residence permit who have stayed longer than one year.

Q: If somebody has a one year residence permit and is at the moment for example in its four month?
A: No, they don't need to register since they haven't stayed longer than one year yet.

Q: If somebody has a six month residence permit but had a one year residence permit before that?
A: They won't need to register since we don't look at previous residence permits.

Q: Do you take in consideration the amount of time that people are actually staying in Turkey?
A (after having called the head office): No, we won't be checking passports to see how long they are actually staying. Anybody with a residence permit that has stayed longer than one year, needs to register.

Q: What happens if people don't register:
A: If they don't register before January 31st, they will be fined (note: I didn't have pen and paper with me and can't recall the exact figure but it was around 800 TL).

Q: What happens to foreigners who are currently not in Turkey and won't be able to come before January 31st?
A: Nothing has been said about that officially but I assume that there won't be any problems as long as they register after their return to Turkey and when they show the stamps in their passport.

Q: What if foreigners can proof that they have a health insurance in their home country?
A: They need to show an official translation of their social security status and it has to show that they will be covered in Turkey.

Q: How about foreigners with a private Turkish health insurance?
A: They still need to register and have a SGK insurance.

Q: What will the SGK insurance cover?
A: It will have the same coverage as it has for Turkish people but pre existing illnesses won't be covered.

Q: What is needed for registration?
A: Passport, residence permit and an official translation of marriage certificate for married couples. We also need an official translation of the Social Securiy status in their home country but since it is not realistic to expect that in such a short period of time, this can be brought later.

During the conversation, Birsen Hanim more or less contradicted herself.
I didn't point this out (since first of all it would be rude but secondly since I didn't want to point out the loopholes).

She said that foreigners with a one year residency permit need to register after they have stayed one year. But if the year isn't over yet, they don't need to register.
To me this sounds that nobody with a one year residency permit needs to register since you will always be within that one year (and they don't look at previous years).
It becomes a different story for people with residency permits longer than one year.
If you have an e.g. 3 year residency permit and more than one year has passed, you need to register.

I think this was more or less the whole conversation we had. If I think of anything else, I'll add it here.

In your case, it means that you need to register and pay for SGK in May.

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
Medical insurance
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2012, 12:56:52 PM »
Thank you Miriam, that is very clear and also very comprehensive (no pun intended) It looks like many will have to cancel existing insurance arrangements

Offline tasha10

Medical insurance
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 13:10:01 PM »
Thanks! I reckon thats going to answer a lot of peoples questions  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf