Author Topic: Any recommendations for a Password Manager ?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Any recommendations for a Password Manager ?
« on: May 05, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »
Has anyone got any recommendations for an easy to use, reliable Password Manager please ?

I've reached password overload with all the bank accounts, social media and work related sites that I use.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Any recommendations for a Password Manager ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 13:17:33 PM »
Maybe what you need is a better password strategy.  Can't you harmonise groups of accounts with one password, others with another and that should reduce the number of ones you cant (or dont want) to change.

Call me paranoid (ok, I know you will  ;) ) but no matter what "security" is quoted I have never used, advocated the use of and never will store important information like banking log ins in an application I cant read the source code for.

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 15:27:58 PM »
It's funny you should say that, but I'm of the same opinion as you about trust. Sometimes though, I get a bit frustrated at having to try several different passwords before I hit the right one for a particular application. I seem to swing from having one password for almost everything to having a separate one for each.

I was asking because so many people these days seem to be advocating the use of password managers but I haven't been able to understand the logic in trusting someone I don't know with the keys to my computer and life.

I'll just stick with things the way they are.

Thanks JF.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 15:54:10 PM »
I heard someone on the radio saying that they didn't remember any passwords but simply clicked on the "Forgot My Password" button, got a new one every visit and then changed it to something else and forgot it. I am sure there must be something wrong with this.

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 16:13:57 PM »
I have used something called Lastpass for some time now as I was in a similar situation with having some many personal/work passwords.

I was recommended this programme by my web developer as they used it to protect the details of their customers sites and email accounts.

What I like about it is that because you can allow the program the generate passwords that are quite long and complicated, which I understand are very "strong" and you don't have to remember them.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 16:18:12 PM »
I was reading an article in The Guardian today and Lastpass was mentioned. That's what prompted my question. I'm still not convinced though.

How does it actually work teetee ?

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 00:57:54 AM »
As far as I can recall KKOB you access directly a vault where all of you passwords and usernames are stored, which is accessed only by you using a master password only know to youself.

I understand that the encryption is to the level you get on online banking.

On a normal browser the Lastpass software is an add on and sits on the tool bar. If you do not enter your master password you cannot access any of the stored and encrypted data. None of the data is stored on you device.

I have found it very easy to use and update as and when you are prompted to change a password, which you are promoted to so on some sites you use.

I also recall paying and initial fee to use the version I use which was about £15 a few years ago. It can also be used on a smartphone.

Hope this information  is somewhat helpful.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 05:56:43 AM »
I use my notes app to list my passwords but use some *****s rather than whole words and numbers.
Its enough to jog my memory but not enough that anyone else could work it out.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 09:28:25 AM »
If you have Norton they have one

Offline YILDIRIM

• Hakan YILMAZ
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 21:42:15 PM »
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:35:29 AM by YILDIRIM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf