Author Topic: Another new one!  (Read 2309 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Another new one!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 05:48:29 AM »
Hi and a very warm welcome to the Forum. :)  I would have thought that your 15% figure was highly optimistic, there is such a surplus of unsold property here at the moment. If a substantial part of this backlog could be cleared then prices could well rise. Who gave you this 15% figure...was it an Agent?  With regard to rental again I fear you have a very optimistic outlook, there are many members of this Forum who rent but do not achieve this.  Be lucky and enjoy this wonderful place. :)

Offline Dancer

Another new one!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 12:19:54 PM »
Hi Brian.  Instinctively I feel you are right that these figures may be optimistic - hence my wanting to get an unbiased take from people who have real knowledge of both the area and owning property in Calis.  It was an agent who gave me these figures but I have also been fortunate enough to speak to other owners who have bought from the developer and they all seem very happy with the property.  However, they are in a different stage of their life to us - many bought within a small group and are retired and therefore are not requiring to rent out the property as they are able to take up all the weeks of the season between themselves - we on the other hand would need some kind of return with regard to the investment.

You are quite right of course, although I need to get to grips with the reality of owning property in the area - we must really enjoy our time in Calis and be exposed to the environment rather than the economic climate - crikey, I feel the need for a stiff gin and tonic coming on!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Another new one!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 12:56:49 PM »
Renting out "all season" is not realistic in my view, although I would say I am quite impressed by the 15% increase in capital value over three years - you should hear some of the figures I've heard quoted when I am on a viewing and overhear other conversations  ;)

I'll take the opportunity to voice my other point about this AGAIN - the people who tend to make impressive claims about increased future values are often the same people who aren't interested in selling resale properties at all. Capital growth is nothing if nobody wants to sell it once it becomes second hand!

The "I'll sell it to you but I won't sell it for you" stance, if adopted by too many, will do more to kill this market than any other factor.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Another new one!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 16:47:03 PM »
Welcome Debbie - another one of us from Leeds!

Listen to the wise words above. We have owned in Calis for the last 5 years and came to a decision not to bother too much about renting out. Luckily we don't need to but the main reason was the hassle that we thought we would get with the taxman both here and in Turkey. On top of that you really only have from the beginning of May to the end of September - 20 - 22 weeks - to rent out. We even found that May didn't really get going until about now - our pool was never open at the sart of the month which is something that many renters want when they go to a hot country - something worth checking before you buy.

My advice is that if you really need to rent out to pay for the place then do your homework. See if you can find similar properties on rental sites and check how much they are asking as well as what weeks they have booked out (most sites will allow you to check availability). You can then work the figures out from there.

Don't forget the tax though - if you make more than about £900 per year then the Turkish taxman will want to know and you will probably pay some income tax. I don't need to tell you that our own taxman will also want to know what you earn abroad (although you will not be taxed twice but might have to pay in the UK even if you don't have to in Turkey).

So do your homework before you buy (especially with regards to which agent you use)and I'm sure you will find it a fairly easy process to go through. I hope it all comes off for you and you enjoy your home in the sun.

Stu

ps - don't dismiss the second hand property market - there are some real bargains out there at the moment as Scunner will tell you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 16:49:46 PM by stoop »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf