Author Topic: buying in Turkey  (Read 3340 times)

Offline vera

buying in Turkey
« on: October 12, 2003, 16:49:31 PM »
Hi my name is Vera , I am 57yrs old , my husband and I are thinking of buying a property in Turkey , I needs lots of info on all aspects of purchase. would welcome all info and advice

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
buying in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 18:34:32 PM »
OK Vera, Fire away, What do you need to know ?

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
buying in Turkey
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 19:13:38 PM »
feel free to ask any questions there are quite a few of us that have bought in Turkey so between us I'm sure we can point you in the right direction
Ron

Offline vera

buying in Turkey
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 20:16:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rimms

OK Vera, Fire away, What do you need to know ?

Hi rimms did you use a local solicitor over there also did you arrange your mortgage in the u.k.did you pay estate agency. we dodt know where to start

Offline vera

buying in Turkey
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 20:20:54 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by legless

feel free to ask any questions there are quite a few of us that have bought in Turkey so between us I'm sure we can point you in the right direction
Ron

hi Ron any info would be welcome. where did you start first , I have gone onto some sites on internet, but first I think about mortgage did you get yours in the u.k.

Offline Marly

buying in Turkey
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 20:46:29 PM »
Hello Vera and welcome to the site, In answer to your question about mortgages you will find it very hard if not impossible to get a mortgage in England for a property in Turkey as Turkey is not in the E.U. therfore one option to raise the neccesary ante is to consider a remortgage on the property you have now in the U.K, then when you know how much you have to play with, you can start to look at available properties in your price bracket in Turkey. When you are ready to buy I know of a very good agent as do many of us on this site who have used his services, and he is also our Managing agent for our Villa in Calis.  This agent will also help you with all the neccasary paperwork, and the legalities involved.

Offline haino

• Calis Reject
buying in Turkey
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 22:44:21 PM »
vera

welcome to the site.

As the others have said they will all help. We are in the process of looking to buy a property and have had some good advice from all the above.
Nobody has mentioned Scunner yet. He will introduce himself soon enough. He is a great help as I am sure you will find out.

Good luck with your search. We will let you know how we get on. We are off to Calis on 24 Oct and hope to come back well on the way to being owners.

Regards

Gordon

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
buying in Turkey
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2003, 23:53:44 PM »
And as if by magic...

Hi Vera

I didn't use a solicitor but people who have bought from me have, and it seemed to give them peace of mind, for a total cost of £400 ( around 1% of sale price?). It's a quick process, buying in Turkey - so much so that it might all happen to quick for your liking and you may go away wondering what on Earth happened.

I got peace of mind too, as the buyer pays the sellers solicitor bill - what a fine idea.

Scunner

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
buying in Turkey
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 10:54:13 AM »
Vera

As per above, raising funds in Turkey may prove difficult, most people seem to take the remortgage route suggested by Marly. When you buy your property you have to use a government appointed Notary & Interprator, they will handle all of the legal side of the sale, I guess where a solicitor may help is with the cash transfer ? I did not use a solicitor on the basis that I had lot's of personal reccomendations on which agents to use. This saved some money but also added a bit of stress ! Hapilly it all worked out well for us.

Beware of a couple of things, Debt can be passed on to the new owner of the property, make sure your agent confirms that the appropriate search has been done. When you shake hands and pay a deposit to the Vendor, you are both locked in to complete the sale / purchase with hefty penalties on both sides if either decides to pull out.

Check that your property is not part of an incomplete co-operative, this is a way of buying a property where you pay some money up front and then the remainder over a fixed period of time, say, 5 years. The problem is that unscrupulous agents may fail to mention the additional payments and if you fail to pay then the co-operative can reposses the property. An incomplete co-operative will normally have a joint deed to cover all properties on the development, only after all of the money is paid does the co-operative become complete and individual deeds are issued.

Think carefully about what you want the property for, investment, retirement, holidays, rental income etc. then check that your property ticks all of the required boxes, in fact make a check list and tick off items as you view. Properties in the mountains may look lovely in the summer but can get very cold in winter, go and see the property at night, is it easy to pop out for a meal, loaf of bread, does it look / feel secure. Consider if you want to be amongst other ex pats or integrated with the Turkish community. Check transport links, both local and to and from the airport.

Finally, keep in touch with this board, I doubt you will come across anything that has not been seen & solved amongst this community.

Good luck, it's a great feeling to own your own place in the sun, and for me it's also a very good investment, our house has appreciated in value by 45% in the last year.

Rimms

PS sorry about spelling / grammar, typed in a hurry

Offline nelliedeen

buying in Turkey
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 19:07:28 PM »
Hi Vera, the info u have been given is spot on.  We just purchased our house in Turkey and had our papers last Friday, we also have the same agent as Marly, and he has been invaluable to us.  He actually found the house for us, sorted out all the lagalities and has arranged for the work it needed to be carried out, and to a high standard.  All the estate agents over there offer the same houses, so it is a good idea to go to one that someone else has used, or indeeed contact our Agent Cemal who will be more than pleased to help you. Best of luck, and ask anythig you want, we will all help as much as poss.

Haino, I will be over in Turkey for a week from Monday 20th so maybe we could meet up,I am taking my mum over to see the house.

Helen

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf