Author Topic: A cat problem  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Stressed Eric

A cat problem
« on: January 14, 2010, 14:01:14 PM »
Hi,
Not sure if I've put this in the correct section, but hopefully someone might be able to give me some advise. We have 3 lovely young street cats who have taken residence in our garden....all female, all good natured.
Although we might be tempted to adopt one of them, we can't really take on all three. Our concern is that if they all have litters we will be over run with cats. The obvious thing would be to try and get them homed, or at least neutered.
There are already an abundance of street cats around our area of Ovacik, and from the look of these young cats, food is limited.
Can anyone help, give advise, or recommend a vet who is willing to neuter street cats?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
A cat problem
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 14:26:59 PM »
They'll do that at the Animal Sanctuary. PM Tinkerman or Terrie for details.

Offline Stressed Eric

A cat problem
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 15:19:18 PM »
Thankyou KKOB. I've emailed Terrie.

Offline apollo

A cat problem
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 07:40:30 AM »
We have been feeding a feral cat. She is now fairly tame, she enjoys a bit of affection.

She is a bit of a tart. She had a litter early in April and has just delivered anoth litter in the last day or two.Which we means that she became pregnant soon after the delivery in April.

The question is, when is the best tim e to have her neutered without affecting feeding the current litter?

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
A cat problem
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:00:05 AM »
The kittens have to be at least six weeks old before they can be weened off the mum, so eight weeks is ideal time, they come into season every 12 weeks.
if you contact the Animal shelter nearer the time and make an appointment and they will neuter the mum for you, the kittens can be done 12-16 weeks, they could also be taken up the centre for rehoming.

Offline apollo

A cat problem
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 09:22:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerman

The kittens have to be at least six weeks old before they can be weened off the mum, so eight weeks is ideal time, they come into season every 12 weeks.
if you contact the Animal shelter nearer the time and make an appointment and they will neuter the mum for you, the kittens can be done 12-16 weeks, they could also be taken up the centre for rehoming.

Thanks for info.

Our worry is that she gave birth on the 10th April and has dropped another litter on 24th June. When we take her to the centre she will probably already be 6 weeks pregnant.

Will the vet still carry out the op?

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
A cat problem
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
I have just copied this from a website

7. How soon after giving birth can a cat become pregnant again?

She can get pregnant again anytime - it's not unusual cats come into heat a few days after giving birth. However, it's best to have her spayed not before her kittens have switched to solid food, which should be after eight weeks or so.

Until then, keep the mother cat indoors, and away from any noncastrated tom cat. That's the best way to prevent another litter, apart from spaying.

So it might be a good idea to catch the Tom and get him done now! :o
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:47:44 AM by tinkerman »

Offline apollo

A cat problem
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 12:45:52 PM »
She is not allowed in the house and she is a tart.

We will get her done in two months time and the vet will have to deal with any unborn.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf