Author Topic: moving to turkey  (Read 7090 times)

Offline mrkeith

moving to turkey
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 08:00:59 AM »
Don't change all your money straight off keep some in sterling or euros incase it all goes pear shaped.

Offline kymm monkhouse

moving to turkey
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 21:51:16 PM »
thinking of selling house and moving to turkey and living off the interest....is it still a good idea or am i just being silly...help, pleas

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
moving to turkey
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 22:00:16 PM »
Why not Kymm, you are only here once. Interest rates are not what they used to be but if you have enough to put in the bank you can live a good life off the interest, if that's the life you fancy  :)

Offline kymm monkhouse

moving to turkey
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 22:08:16 PM »
oh thankyou im all talk, dreamt of it for years....have a good job here and then theres the new grandchildren....aaaarrrrggggghhhh...your kind, ta

Offline kizkucuk

moving to turkey
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 00:47:05 AM »
Your grand children can keep in touch on skype.............. plus they'll ome for longer visits so you may end up seeing more of them  :-)

Offline hillside

moving to turkey
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 14:10:06 PM »
Skype is no compensation for being able to spend time with and cuddle your grandchildren. Mine are 2 and 4 and I wouldnt leave them permanently for the world. I see them every weekend and as much as I love our life when we're in Turkey I'd not live there full time for that very reason

Offline maximumtom

moving to turkey
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 17:19:30 PM »
I'd advise you to rent before you buy. That way you can see if it really is for you before putting all your eggs in one basket. I speak as an older and wiser man. Sometimes things you don't expect to go pear shaped just do so.

Offline Old Daffodil

moving to turkey
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 17:25:07 PM »
It depends on the lifestyle you would like to lead. The expenses to consider are residency and compulsory health insurance. Residency is about a pound a day,health insurance is compulsory now,think it is about 182 lira a month and who knows what it actually covers.I do not know if that will cover the dentist as well.  Meat,petrol and some foods that you take for granted in Britain like Cheddar cheese, sausages,bacon cost more in Turkey.If you are going to pay for maintenance on an apartment the cost of that should be considered too. If you run a pool of your own then chemicals and running costs of that have to budgeted for.

You need to check your finances well before making a decision like this.The exchange rate on you money and the interest on the money you may put in a Turkish bank are not predictable.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 19:40:24 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Dizzy Jan

moving to turkey
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 19:17:33 PM »
Daffodil do you know something I don't I thought this health insurance was still unsubstantiated. One of the last comments I read about it was that the Kalkan Newspaper was having a meeting with various agency in September and Tribal Elder was going to report back to us. So have I missed something?

Offline Old Daffodil

moving to turkey
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 11:21:46 AM »
I thought that the meeting was to clarify who is covered and for what. Maybe my understanding is wrong.It looked as if the law was passed in 2008 and allowed a period of time before foriegners were asked to pay.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf