Author Topic: Money for three weeks away  (Read 3507 times)

Offline tiddly winks

Money for three weeks away
« on: September 09, 2010, 22:58:23 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'll ask anyway.

Me and a friend are looking to stay in Calis for three weeks next year. It's a kinda 'time together before Uni and we want to see if 3 weeks is too long for a holiday'reasoning behind that decision.

Want I'd like to know is how much spending money we would need in terms of food in a self catering apartment,transport, excursions and everything else, excluding flights and accomodation.

Does anyone have a minimum figure that they think would be enough to get by on? I know there won't be a exact number, but any advice on this financial side of things would be so helpful.

Many thanks  :)

Offline scouser2

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:25:28 AM »
Hi Tiddly Winks. I would firstly calculate the average price of the meals eaten out and times it by 21 (nights).For example average price of meal and a drink =25TL x21 =525TL.....thats evening meals taken care of.Then calculate what you would spend on entertainment per night and times by 21 example 20TL times 21 =420TL.Calculate in breakfast and lunch (if eating in your apartment....cereal, bread, salad,cheese, meat, milk, tea, coffee and sugar etc aprox 250-300TL per 3 weeks.)Allow at least 10Tl per day for dolmus travel and depending on which excursions you want and how many activities you want to do.The average price of a boat trip is about 10GBP, but paragliding is closer to 50GBP.
This estimation is for 1 person. I hope this helps. :)

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 19:43:12 PM »
Hi Tiddly - I did 4 weeks last year - I found that I didn't always want to eat a big meal in the evening especially if I had been on a trip that did lunch.  Depending on the type of food you want and what you drink you could spend naything between 12 and 25 tl on a meal each night. Or less if you just fancy a chicken kebab.  Coffee is expensive here as is meat.But you could bring a jar with you if you wanted it.  If you shop for chicken, fruit, veg, cheese in the market you will probably get away with spending very little - places like Sok and BIM sell cheap juice -  I feed the 2 of us on under 50tl most weeks. A dolmus to Olu Deniz will set you back 9tl return and the dolmus to Fethiye is 1.50 lira - the water taxi is 5tl this year.  When I did 4 weeks I budgeted £150 - £200 a week - did everything I wanted - probably drank too much - did all the shopping I wanted and still went home with some £ left over. Beer is about 3.5/4 lira but spirits are more expensive - 25tl a night won't buy you many drinks in Scarletts or B52s if you are on the spirits or cocktails.  Though a couple of bottles from duty free and drink in the aprtment before you go out will cut your bill a bit.  Hope that helps  :-)

Offline tiddly winks

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »
Thank you scouser2 and kizkucuk, I'll pass this onto my friend and we'll get saving! Generally not too worried about food shopping as I don't eat a lot anyway, but this is a useful guideline to how much I need just in case.  :)

Offline peecee

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Tiddly winks would also suggest that you bring food that you love with you (for me cheddar cheese, bacon whatever) so you can eat at home sometimes.  If you don't bring THAT many clothes with you (haven't we all packed the entire wardrobe and worn a quarter of it?) then between you you should have enough weight left.  Also, if you like tea bring t-bags with you!  Liptons tea sold here is revolting (or anywhere for that matter!!!)  Alcohol allowance is generous coming in but I buy in UK or on the 'plane, cheaper than Dalaman IMO.  However, wouldn't buy more than needed because it will be confiscated on departure unless in a suitcase.
Have a great holiday!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf