Author Topic: Animals and Gun Laws  (Read 2186 times)

Offline screamlead

Animals and Gun Laws
« on: July 31, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »
Anyone know what the gun laws are regarding the shooting of animals out here is?
For a couple of years running now there have been 'blitzes' on a pack of strays late at night with a very large amount of gun shots going off and animals (dogs) whelping and screaming then....silence.
No idea who does this as its always late at night.
But also now a couple of times one of the neighbors behind us has come out of their property and blatantly fired a shotgun at stray dogs, we saw her (yes a woman!!!) once but only with shotgun in hand, but late last night about 3am a very loud gun shot right behind our villa and a stray running past just after.
What i am mainly concerned about it, is actually popping my head around my villa and the idiot opening up on us. I'm pretty certain non of these people have any gun sense like safety procedures etc - being ex forces its a little scary to be honest.
We have also lost two cats to poisoning now too by absent neighbors who go up the mountain all summer but leave their places primed with far too much poison put down. - would'nt mind but the score so far this year is about 10 mice/voles and 8 massive rats so far caught by our cats.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:01:59 AM by screamlead »

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Animals and Gun Laws
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:08:22 AM »
it may well happen in Kemer,I haven't heard any stories of dogs being shot in Fethiye only the odd one on the outskirts that has been attacking neighbours goats or sheep, have you contacted the Zabita oabout this?

Offline peecee

Animals and Gun Laws
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:15:15 AM »
Don't think there is any gun laws per se, saw a young lad of around 11/12 totting a shotgun thrilled that he had killed a crested bird[:(!]
My neighbours at the back have the habit of shotting their dogs if they get run over or injured.  Cheaper than a vet, I suppose, and quicker.  They have on average 5/6 dogs all the time (all VERY aggresive i might add) so perhaps it's just the norm

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Animals and Gun Laws
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »
Fortunately it is not the norm Claire, there are laws against animal cruelty and protecting their welfare and can be dealt with, problem is people would rather report it on the forum than report it to the Zabita who are duty bound to do something about these situations.

Offline screamlead

Animals and Gun Laws
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »
No i have not contacted the Zabita - Yet - as dont think they would be too happy or contactable at 3 am on a Sunday morning. Hence a post on here to ask the advice of other members who may or may not have had a similar situation occur.
Besides the point i was making is it is inherently dangerous to be wandering round at 3 am in the morning loosing off shotguns with no apparent training, half asleep and low light vison conditions!!

Offline peecee

Animals and Gun Laws
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »
Appreciate what you're saying, Tinkerman, but I think in farming communities their ideas of laws are somewhat lax.
Last year one of the sons up there was beating a dog.  It's was screaming it's head off and I think he was using a metal bar or something.  It wasn't just a quick wack, he would do it for 20/30 seconds, stop then continue.
I was outside in the garden and could hear all of it.  I eventually screamed (and I mean screamed ;)) 'enough [his name]' and he stopped.
Problem is if I had reported it to the Zabita, very nice rather ineffectual chap, nothing would have been done and they would HAVE known it was me.  So, have I then made a few enemies?  Don't want too get on the wrong side of my Turkish neighbours.
When I first moved in I had cause to call out the Mayor who came to inspect my road.  He'd parked up by the neighbours house and the dogs had gone crazy.  I mentioned that they were aggresive but his response 'they won't hurt you'.  Not interested in mentioning to the neighbour they should be controlled, not allowed to run around the hill etc. etc.
I had a dog and there was NO way I would let her out on the hill, the dogs would have killed her (as I witnessed with a stray)
They are working dogs (kechi man) but if the Mayor wasn't prepared to tackle them/the owner then Rashid the Zabita man won't!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:58:20 AM by peecee »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Animals and Gun Laws
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
I found this on gun regulations in Turkey:

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/turkey

Offline cenk

Animals and Gun Laws
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 11:30:41 AM »
Firing gun is forbidden in the areas where people live, even though it is licensed. Police will take care more than zabita about this.

Offline Carolyn1957

Animals and Gun Laws
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 15:33:09 PM »
Why don't you have a quiet word with Fatih and see what he suggests? A quiet word from the Jandarma might stop Annie getting her gun out and shooting in a residential area.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Animals and Gun Laws
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 16:03:28 PM »
if it is cruelty to animals we phone the Zabita, if you need to sort out the gun problems go to Polis, There are laws for both which inc. farming communities.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf