Author Topic: Insufficient broadband width  (Read 6444 times)

Offline saklivadi

Insufficient broadband width
« on: January 28, 2012, 07:18:58 AM »
We live in Nif and are very remote (no mobile signal) and so have been very pleased that at least we get Internet connection. We are trying to get uktv to connect but are only able to watch a few minutes before we get the message that the broadband width is insufficient.
Being totally computer illiterate I have no idea what our broadband width is or how to find out.
Looking at posts here it would appear that the width can be extended???
Does the wifi router have a bearing on this problem? Can we buy a better, stronger modem?
If we could solve this problem then we shall be living in paradise.

Offline screamlead

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »
You need faster speed of the internet connection. I would say for streaming Internet TV you need at least 2mb line speed but 8mb would be much better. Depending on what connection you already have it may be worth checking the speed of the line and what speed it is capable of - go to - www.speedtest.net and run the tests. If you are not getting your stated speed the maybe contact the internet provider - TTNET?? and get them to check the line. Or failing that get an upgrade - you should also have unlimited download as well as if you have used your allocation then TTNET often lower the speed and charge for extra MB's used - ie streaming uses lots of MB's (mega bytes) in bandwidth. Your router should be fine as they can handle upwards of 54MB's per second - way faster than TTNET can provide at present. It can also depend on how far away from the service providers exchange and being remote as you said this could have a bearing on your low speeds too.

Offline saklivadi

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »
OK, did the test...ping-164ms, download-0.95mbps and upload-0.20 Mbps. Still have no clue what those figures mean.We are paying 49TL per month to ttnet.

Offline screamlead

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »
Thats roughly showing as a 1MB download speed and .20 Mb upload speed - its way too slow for streaming live TV you need to upgrade i'm afraid. There are some good packages from TTNET at the mo' you can get an 8MB and phone line for 39TL a month i believe? You can change the package via phone or best way is to get to the main phone place in Fethiye and take someone turkish then upgrade there and then.

Offline saklivadi

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
Thank you,will do as you suggest and upgrade

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
Saklivadi: Go into the Turk Telecom office, tell them you want the 8mb unlimited package that's on special offer at 39tl a month (If you don't ask for this they will stick with the higher price) & if you are able to upgrade (due to location) then this should be much better for you.

Offline saklivadi

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:52:51 AM »
Sounds good.......whilst on the subject of communication, does anybody know of a way to boost a vodafone mobile phone signal? At present we can hear the phone ring if balanced on the top of a window but have to go 1KM down the road to make calls.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 13:13:30 PM »
Silly question: Have you tried Avea or Turkcell? Easiest way is to ask any visiting friends who they are contracted with & to test their signal strength. Just a thought.

You can buy a receiving aerial in the UK, am not sure if these are available here in Turkey.

Offline Eric

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 15:47:44 PM »
...or ask the locals who they use.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 16:11:46 PM »
The first thing you should do is take a speed test with a direct cable connection from computer into router (i.e. non-wireless, like the old days) - this will give you a more representative set of results. It could be that you are a bit too far from the router, or it is struggling to get through thick walls (or typical Turkish concrete walls full of reinforcing steel which are no fun either). Once you know that set of results you can compare them to the ones above (which are appalling by the way!) and get a grasp of what is being delivered to you, and what is being lost with your own in-house wireless setup.

If the figures are better when using direct connection, you are losing too much on it's next journey from router to computer - this can be for thee reasons given above but also check other things too - like keeping your router away from the telly, sounds daft but it was a problem I had and that solved it.

I have quite a distance between router and laptop myself (I don't have a big house, I have a long house :D ) and the two things are at directly opposite ends - I tried one of these silly little things on a recommendation and my signal indicator went from 1 or 2 bars to 5 and that was the end of my problems:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MTTJOY

Everything sorted for £9 and sorted in 10 seconds by putting it in and letting it install itself - but that was down to the problem being my setup & home - which is why a direct cable connection speed test will tell you everything you need to know. Good luck.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf