Author Topic: another twist to sgk?  (Read 14029 times)

Offline philrose

Re: another twist to sgk?
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 10:31:56 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, really usefull. I think we will be sticking to our private scheme for now, the SGK altough it covers more is a lot more expensive.
The thing I really don't understand about about the SGK scheme is why the hell do you have to back pay for cover you have never had? That's totally crazy....

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2013, 11:46:27 AM »
Probably for the same reason that a union won't handle a personal case when someone suddenly wants to joins just because they find they need it and the services and support they offer. You would normally have to be a member for 6 months first and pay your dues like everyone else.

I would imagine it is the same principle here but I suspect that the farther away from the start of the scheme we get the less the penalty/fine will be and Turkey often offers amnesties or deals on things like this in order to encourage people who have dropped out of schemes to rejoin/contribute again and maybe in this case to simply join.

Offline philrose

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 12:31:16 PM »
Being a member for 6 months before you can claim would indeed make more sense, than trying to backcharge you to when the scheme started. I hope you are right about it changing in the future, otherwise I can't see anyone joining up as it would cost too much..

Offline March girl

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2013, 19:10:36 PM »
Have just been speaking to a chap that is returning to the UK permanently.He registered for the sgk insurance but decided to opt out.When speaking with his lawyer yesterday he was told to pay the back payments or he may be stopped at the airport and prevented from leaving the country till the debt was paid.Does anyone have any information or personal experience of this happening?I am returning to the UK on the 7th August for 2 weeks.I also registered but decided to opt out of sgk and am concerned that I may have trouble at the airport.

Offline March girl

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2013, 19:13:36 PM »
As far as I know the only way you can get out of Turkish health insurance is when you go back to uk for good or when you die, but they may expect you to pay up for the year or pay any arrears. If you just stop paying they will call on you for arrears.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf