Author Topic: Who did you miss the first time around?  (Read 6430 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Who did you miss the first time around?
« on: October 23, 2012, 15:07:19 PM »
I've recently 'discovered' Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Yes I was aware of their anthem 'Sweet Home Alabama', but I've recently been listening to some of their other work too, and have been impressed, particularly with the track 'Tuesday's Gone'.  So I was wondering why I missed them before, particularly in the 70s?  Although I suppose you can't hear 'em all!!

So who have you 'discovered' musically in recent years, that you perhaps missed the first time around?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Who did you miss the first time around?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 22:56:04 PM »
As detailed in another scintillating CBF music topic, I almost entirely missed Pink Floyd first time around. What I knew was a little Dark Side of the Moon, as my dad played it on a Saturday morning - an irritating way to be woken really - money or clocks, welcome to the weekend. I knew the album cover of Animals as my dad's hifi was in a clear glass cabinet and the pig/Battersea Power Station cover was 1st left through the glass. I recall the single "Another Brick in the Wall" but not particularly the album "The Wall" which in recent weeks has almost my entire music attention.

I couldn't have told you the name of any band member, album (other than the two mentioned) and I do feel that I missed this first time around...

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »
Neil Young for me ! - I liked the Single "Heart of Gold" upon it's release, and aware of friends at the time raving about the album "Harvest", and the magical poetry of "After The Goldrush" made popular as a cover by Prelude. It wasn't until much later I delved deeper into the music of Mr. Young and discovered just how influential he was as one of the great North American troubadours (and a half decent guitarist to boot !!    ;) ) of the early seventies.

Here's a little "rocker" from Glastonbury 2009 for your delectation !    :)

http://youtu.be/4edwbmjLokY

Nice to see an "old boy" having fun !   ;)  :)

Offline patrice

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »
For me got to be Van Morrison
When I meet my husband in '83 he was huge a fan ....I have been to so many of his concerts I have lost count
Now I am a big fan some of his albums are my all time favourites

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 13:42:34 PM »
Gary Moore and also Santana... Love them both to pieces now, so sad that Gary is no longer with us.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 20:12:08 PM »

Spot on Valleyboy, not so young now and some health problems to overcome but one of my fave's

Followed him from Buffalo Springfield days

Jacqui, I remember buying Abraxas by Santana on vinyl, these recording artists are legends. Will any of the increasing number of boy bands be around in 40 years ?  :(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 20:19:47 PM »
Will any of the increasing number of boy bands be around in 40 years ?  :(                 

Let's hope not eh ? : :)

Offline Shamless2

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 21:07:08 PM »
I feel very old reading this, because I didn't miss any of the above the first time around. The area that passed me by was punk!! Too busy having children at the time. Did I miss anything good?

Offline BM06

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 21:21:49 PM »
I feel very old reading this, because I didn't miss any of the above the first time around. The area that passed me by was punk!! Too busy having children at the time. Did I miss anything good?
"Did I miss anything good"  Perhaps Turkeys finest punk !  enjoy   ;) :angel:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfK-WX2pa8c

Offline Shamless2

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 21:46:08 PM »
"Did I miss anything good"  Perhaps Turkeys finest punk !  enjoy     ;) :angel:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfK-WX2pa8c
well you learn something new everyday!!!! I just enjoyed listening to this with fresh ears, obviously I have heard the song many times, but did miss it the first time around, but just read his biography and was surprised to find he was born in Ankara!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf