Author Topic: Septic Tank - cleaning products  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Stan

Re: Septic Tank - cleaning products
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »
Not sure about some of these comments , could say I'm a little septical !  ;)

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 12:10:43 PM »
All feels like a load of **** to me

...I love the spellchecker

Offline hamilton

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »
Toilet pans should not smell as there is a water break between the toilet and the soak away.
You said that the drains smell, do you mean the floor drains in the bathroom, if so these require regular topping up with water to maintain a water break, and should not smell if this is done. Shower traps and sink traps also require regular topping up with water to maintain the water break. Most traps used in Turkey do not have vacuum breaks, depending on the installation the water can be sucked out of the traps when a toilet is flushed or bath emptied. Its a good idea on a daily basis to put water down all unused traps, check to see which ones are dry is a good idea.
As for the soak away, it should never require emptying if it is not abused. It looks after itself, as said previously, using any chemical is a very bad idea as this stops the waste breaking down naturally. Putting toilet paper and other no degradeable products down the toilet is a bad idea also, as this can block the natural draining of the tank, and also form a crust on the top which again stops the tank looking after itself. If other drains are smelling, ie storm water drains, that means that they are connected to the tank, this again is not a good idea as the tank may not be capable of handing the extra demand. swimming pools should not be connected to the tank unless the tank has been designed to cater for it. The foul vent pipe should extend above the roof ridge to allow all vented foul air to disperse.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 12:47:06 PM »
I'm loving it !

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 13:08:00 PM »
I call these Granny Bonnets, For years we have been meaning to have these fitted to the top of the down pipe.  We find that the smell is more noticeable at certain times of the year when the air pressure is low. 

"Where theres muck theres brass" ;D

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 13:15:12 PM »
Just waiting for the sh--t to hit the granny bonnet!!!!  ;) well it does look like a fan  :)  :)  :)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 13:23:41 PM »
I thought they were for the top of outlets for extraxt systems loz not waste pipes?

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 14:05:06 PM »
they are for chimneys and can be used for pipes too, sucking the air from internal plumbing expelling air.
I asked for this to be fitted the first year we were there, Gordon said that he would do it, it is a little like the shelf that I have waited to be fitted in the last 3 years, and still waiting, yet his niece wanted her bathroom and kitchen tiled and it was done in the month! Typical of the clown!!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 14:33:01 PM »
A septic tank is a septic tank no matter what country it is in.  The only difference with tanks in hot countries is the bacteria works quickly so you don't have to empty them as often as in colder countries.
The system is simple.  A large tank collects waste matter from a household under the tank is a soak away (Hamilton this is not the tank).  It soaks away all liquid matter.  The rest is sludge and no matter how careful you are the sludge does not disappear by itself.  The Tank has to be emptied, it cannot be left and never emptied. 
Also the rules about Septic Tanks in the U.K. are very strict and no way would they be sited under a house or not be accessible.  I would be horrified to find I had to remove a toilet to empty a tank or even access it.  It makes me wonder are the builders in Turkey pulling the wool over buyers eyes by telling them they never have to empty their tanks?  How long is a house guaranteed by a builder in Turkey??
I have seen my Scottish neighbour (luckily 1 mile away) with an overflow tank which also came up into the house, it was terrible.
Take a look at this website. How to care for septic tanks for dummies and read the last paragraph.
This is an American site which deals with Septic Tanks in hot climates.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-care-for-your-septic-system.html
So, if anyone in Turkey feels really happy and comfortable with a tank that never needs to be emptied, so be it and  good luck.
I would hate to be there when the s$@t it's the fan or should that be pan.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 14:46:09 PM »
Jaqui with respect you are missing the point, the tank do not have bottoms or have half bottoms (go along to many a building site to see them fitted) they are very deep into the ground and very large, I did not believe the builder when he explained and he drove me to the sites to see them in situ or being fitted.  It is a very strange way and not something encountered before, but there it is. 
We had the patio laid and I still insisted on a trap door, much to their amusement, it has now been 10 years and not a problem.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf