Author Topic: C drive  (Read 7347 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: C drive
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 10:41:52 AM »
It's the automatic saving I like (and the free part) because not many of us are that good at backing up our photos and videos. However, I use it more to free up space on my phone than for backing up reasons.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »
just deleted 700 from piccasso and not made any extra space

Have you deleted all items in your recycle bin and restarted your computer as well?

They wouldn't free up much space if you removed them so I'd just keep them. There's a free disk analyser which can show you the big files/folders on your system, unfortunately I can't remember what it is called - leave it with me Lance.

What, you mean the link that I gave earlier in this thread........  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 10:50:44 AM »
Doesn't it drive you mad when people don't read the whole topic before answering?

Sorry :D

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 13:15:26 PM »
I have downloaded Drop box but how do you put pictures in it ,it came up name of file i put my pictures that came up ,pressed button ,went to check all i had on there were three pictures nothing to do with me ,Derr

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
I dont understand i have deleted all music and pictures off of C drive and its made space even less, some of it is not showing in the recycle bin ,i have put my pictures on to my ex ternal hard drive it shows up when i press it nothing shows ,maybe a hammer will sort it . :'(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »
Lance - when you look at your folders and files (in my documents, my pictures, any of them) - on the left hand side you will see your drives - C: D: (dvd drive normally) and any memory cards you have plugged in.

1. Can you type out what ones you have and post them here

and

2. If you highlight your hard drive (c: ) then RIGHT click to get a menu pop up then down to the very bottom and select PROPERTIES - you will see one of these:

Can you tell me how much of yours is used, and how much is free...

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »
Keith as follows.

Used space  103.552.954.368.bytes =96.4GB 

Free space 1.199.783.963 bytes   =1.11 GB

CAP 104.752.738.304. Bytes     =97.5

last night i had a bit more free space but it gone less now ,even though i have deleted pictures and music.AGH.

Have got 135 GB  free on D Drive. yours shows number at the top mine says local disc C

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 11:17:30 AM »
So what is taking up your 96gb Lance? Have you checked to see what are the big programs or large files that are filling it up?

If you have a D drive (I take it someone has partitioned your hard drive into C & D) then why not move all your big files onto there? I keep all my photos on my D drive as it frees up the C drive for my programs and any small documents I need at hand.

If you move them don't do it by 'copy' or you will end up with them on both drives. Drag and drop is the best way.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »
It sounds like your hard drive is partitioned into two sections (C & D) as your description of D doesn't sound like it's a DVD or CD drive.

If you have anything you can move from C to D it will help - it will still be on your hard drive just the other section (D) which will free up the equivalent space on C which is pretty much full now.

Remember to right click the folders you want to move from C to D and select CUT - not COPY, then right click on D and select paste. Don't try to move things like Windows, it won't like that at all. Also check the folder "Program Files" - and if there is anything in there that you don't use anymore highlight and delete. Then empty recycle bin.

If you are not sure whether to delete something or not, don't delete it - find something else. As Stoop suggests, use D to store videos and photos on, you have a huge amount of free space on your hard drive in D.

Hope that makes sense.

Offline quackers

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 05:56:38 AM »
I put all the fıles I dont use a lot ın my D drıve to keep more space on my  C drıve whıch ıs what you use all the tıme. If you are stıll stuck go and see Rıck at MaYa on Calıs seafront. He runs a computer clınıc on a thursday mornıng at 11am or ıf you want hıs number PM me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf