Author Topic: Garden Well  (Read 2658 times)

Offline billy3107

Garden Well
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »
We have a well in the garden which is very useful to water the garden.Until recently everything has been fine switch the electric pump on and Hey presto loads of water.Then before it would work the hand pump would have to be used, for quite a while untill water was flowing and the electric pump switched on.This worked fine for a while Now we use the hand pump untill the water flows switch the pump on but have to repeat the process about every 5 minutes because the water stops flowing. If left for a day or so it takes ages to pump the water up by hand.
Anyone any ideas why or know of any one reliable who won,t rip me off who could sort it. 

Offline Jim Fraser

Re: Garden Well
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:07:46 AM »
Possibly the rubber non return flapper just below the hand pump has perished, 10 mins to change if it is a bolted together one and just costs a couple of Lira.
also worth checking if the filter if fitted is clean.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:21:29 AM »
You should be able to pull the filter up from within the borehole and check to see if it's clogged. If it's been down there a number of years it could be covered in calcium deposits. They can easily knocked off or dissolved using using Por Coz, vinegar, lemon juice or any other acidic liquid.

Offline quackers

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 13:10:19 PM »
Your well may not be bored deep enough our neıghbour had the same problem and had to have ıt rebored deeper now no problem.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 13:35:51 PM »
we had the same problem I just put a T piece in and a short pipe with a tap on when we hose just let a drip run into the hand pump and it works ok. Will strip it down one day and change the seals.

Offline billy3107

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 15:26:16 PM »
Thanks Chaps changed 2 x flap like seals on the hand pump and had the electric pump serviced 20 ytl he put a new seal in the pump could,nt find a filter down the bore hole works for about 45 mins now before you have to use the hand pump, long enough to water the garden and swill the road down Worked great when it was put in 3 yrs ago.I thought recently  it may not be deep enough or the water table could have dropped, the locals must use a tremendous amount to water the fields and greenhouses

Offline billy3107

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:05:14 AM »
Quick update like you Mark if i keep the handpump topped up with a trickle of water the electric pump pumps water all the time Thanks for your help Chaps

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf