Author Topic: Anti/virus security software  (Read 10907 times)

Offline SteveJ

Re: Anti/virus security software
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »
I've never heard of that one but if you "goggle" it you should be able to find a security forum out there which will give you an unbiased opinion. As with most things in life "you gets what you pays for". I wouldn't hand on heart recommend any of the free offerings although AVG seems to be the best one of these around. Of the low to mid price range offerings I've used Kapersky and found it to be OK but no better than that. Of the more expensive offerings then I agree with previous posts, Norton is the best one around with AVG 2013 pushing a close second place.

I also agree that anti-virus software may not have prevented this fraud. As soon as you've used a card to make any internet purchase then you opened up the door marked "take a risk", your card details can be caputured anywhere along the electronic "journey" from you to the supplier. The recent spate of frauds involving A2B prove that, I'm sure that some of those people who were stung had Norton installed on their PC's.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »
You really don't need to pay for security software, there are plenty of very good programs out there. On my WIN 7 laptop I'm just using Microsoft Security Essentials & Firewall, with occasional checks with Bitdefender. On the old XP laptop I have used AVG, Avira and currently using the free version of ZoneAlarm combined firewall & antivirus.

There is a free version of Kaspersky as well. Just be sure to only use trusted sites to download your free software from.

Periodically I use "GRC Shields up" to check that the ports are secure. At the last check both laptops were invisible on the internet to any would be intruders.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »
Thanks for replies I shall have a look at the free ones, last time I downloaded what I thought was anti-virus it was a nightmare kept getting all these stupid ads and offers everytime I tried to go to a website....
I must confess to having never heard of the GRC Shields up to check that the ports are safe, I am afraid I am not too techy but trying to get more so  ;)

Offline marina

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 13:24:52 PM »

I also agree that anti-virus software may not have prevented this fraud. As soon as you've used a card to make any internet purchase then you opened up the door marked "take a risk", your card details can be caputured anywhere along the electronic "journey" from you to the supplier. The recent spate of frauds involving A2B prove that, I'm sure that some of those people who were stung had Norton installed on their PC's.

.... and AVG 2013!   >:(

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 15:09:18 PM »
Thanks for replies I shall have a look at the free ones, last time I downloaded what I thought was anti-virus it was a nightmare kept getting all these stupid ads and offers everytime I tried to go to a website....
I must confess to having never heard of the GRC Shields up to check that the ports are safe, I am afraid I am not too techy but trying to get more so   ;)

Most firewalls when you first install them will keep giving you pop ups while they "learn" what to allow or block, but anti-virus should just block known viruses and update the installed data base daily. GRC sends test pings to your computer to see if it responds, if it does it gives hackers a way in.

Here are some links for you to have a look at:

Gizmo's freeware reviews:  http://www.techsupportalert.com/
CNET: http://download.cnet.com/windows/?tag=rb_wrap;rb_content
GRC: https://www.grc.com/default.htm

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 16:39:29 PM »
Good  response from members. but as in life if you want the best. you pay for it, Norton 360 Premier for me. I M O.  :)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 18:10:50 PM »
I used Panda many years ago but when I can buy a 3 user licence of McAfee for about £8 on ebay I go for that.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 13:07:03 PM »
I am trying to get down with the kids and become more techy!I have installed some anti virus on my laptop and I am now having problems with my camera, it will not recognise that there are new photos on my camera that I want to import could this be at all possible that is connected to the anti virus software and therefore is seeing my camera as a possible "alien" item? thanks for any help as always   ;)

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 17:50:36 PM »
Your anti-virus should not see your camera as a threat if you have already installed the software that came with it or have used it previously with no problems. When you connect the camera to your laptop go to "My Computer" and see if the camera is showing as a "drive", if it is you should be able to transfer data from the camera to the hard drive of the laptop.

If you are connecting via Bluetooth you might need to "pair" the laptop and camera again.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 14:07:33 PM »
Thank you Leeglo for taking the time to help me, I am a little embarrassed to admit it was the batteries in my camera, it only took me until 7pm last night to suss it out!! :-[

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf